Ate it this morning

GoldenMotor.com

Rudz

Jun 24, 2014
Tyler TX
was leaving work and coming down the upper parking lot, down the hill, then swerve around the first speed bump, second one, wait that car is in my way....

Hit the next speed bump, couldn't go around, no time to slow down.

I go airborne at about 20- 25mph. I just remember rolling, my head bouncing around the pavement. I was wearing a full face motocross helmet.

I cut my hand, probably because my mirror shattered. I banged up my knees, left one is very sore. I gashed my right elbow bad. Luckily my tattoos on the right arm near the gash were unharmed.

My helmet is in perfect condition. Onlookers helped me up and straightened out my wheel. After I regained my bearings I rode home, bike started right up.

I need to examine the bike more, but I know I shattered the mirror and lens on my light. Other than that she looked good.

I'm off until tomorrow night, maybe I'll catch a ride if I'm still sore.

Moral of story, watch those speed bumps when flying through parking lot. Full face helmets are fantastic.

Rudz

Jun 24, 2014
Tyler TX
My suspension eats a lot of imperfections, but I try to memorize pot holes on my normal commute. My arm and shoulder are still sore, wrapped my knee, no brace. But I'll live.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Those handlebar mounted things can get you, Ask my left leg where it broke off the clutch lever. They look so innocent until something strikes them and if they were mounted solidly, they don't give much.

Glad you and the bike are good, Rudz. Be careful, sir.
Certainly something to keep in mind. Maybe we should adopt the ideas that car makers have and make things that will break away instead of causing injury. Hood ornaments, door handles and side mirrors on cars are designed to give instead of staying in place. Race cars are designed that way too. Things break and let go instead of causing big damage or injury.

This could be something our members might want to keep in mind when mounting things that could potentially be a problem in a crash.
Thanks for sharing your experience. It certainly gave me some things to think about.

Tom

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
Sorry about the crash.........might wanna look into getting a new helmet. One bounce and it's done its job.

Rudz

Jun 24, 2014
Tyler TX
We buy aluminum and steel mounts, but those cheap plastic ones will snap instead of hurting us.

I probably wouldn't have cut my hand if I were wearing gloves, but I wasn't because they smelled like gas. Lesson learned.

My knee took a good hit, might look into low profile hard knee and elbow pads