KC's 68cc 4-stroke 4-speed soft tail

GoldenMotor.com

redneck82

May 25, 2014
concord, nh
dude, your bike's bad ass!!! im looking at building something along those lines with an rx50 upgrade kit... boosts it up to 125 also a 4 speed... im doing on a limited budget though so im scrapping it together from a few different bikes...

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
The latest Motopeds are very well built and are a real bargain at that price......made in China. Seems to me that China is becoming the new Japan.

Nothing wrong with that. Affordable quality that can't be beat.
Actually it seems they are made in Kachsung Taiwan, at least that's where it shipped from.

redneck82 said:
dude, your bike's bad ass!!! im looking at building something along those lines with an rx50 upgrade kit... boosts it up to 125 also a 4 speed... im doing on a limited budget though so im scrapping it together from a few different bikes...
Cool redneck.
What does that 'upgrade kit' have that turns a 50cc's power into a 125cc's power, a turbocharger or something?

That would be something wouldn't it, a turbocharger for these little 4-strokes?
Hehehe.

This was supposed to be a powerful but cheap 4-stroke build.
I snagged the engine for under $300 delivered and was just going to mount it on a ~$350 bicycle frame until a 'friend' on my business forum pointed out that that 'for just a couple thousand more I could have...' a pre-jackshafted full suspension dual disc brake bicycle with specific mount points for the engine I just bought it was a no brainier.

$2500 for a bicycle in today's world is nothing for the serious rider, heck this electric shifter I am still dinking with (breaks drive chain) is on a $3,500 Specialized frame.

With $1,200 in electronics in that Specialized I could darn near build 2 of these 86cc 4-speed 4-strokes on Motoped frames for the same price.

Last edited:

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
http://m.ebay.com/itm/331103876098?nav=WATCHING_ACTIVE

hoping thatll get you there... its a 4spd auto with electric start $245 delivered!
Near as I can tell that has no gears, just cent clutch and no carb.
Can't see how you mount it either.
Good price for a 4-stroke regardless until you start adding up all the extra stuff you will need to buy.

I always have to smile at an ad for just an engine can rate it's top speed (65KMH) when they have no idea what wheel size the engine will be mounted to.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Hey KC, Your area should have decent used Honda donor bikes available used since you live in the desert...
Why risk unknown clone quality and parts interchange when you can find original Honda motor and freshen it up (depending on donor miles/use/quality) for nearly the same money?
The original XR motor will RIP in that frame! Eat the lunch of any clone, much less with a 125cc kit...
I work with a local scooterstore owner and trust me, the clone quality is NOWHERE CLOSE to Honda. Not all the parts are exact interchange either.
In my opinion, spending the coin for a motoped and using a clone, is like building a prostock drag car and powering it with a junkyard motor.
If you're gonna drop $2k on a bicycle, I'd make sure it was a real Honda.
Just MY opinion.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Hey KC, Your area should have decent used Honda donor bikes available used since you live in the desert...
Why risk unknown clone quality and parts interchange when you can find original Honda motor and freshen it up (depending on donor miles/use/quality) for nearly the same money?
If you followed this thread I bought the engine first as it was a heck of deal with no idea what I was going to mount it on. If it turns out to be crap, lesson learned.

I'll know soon enough as the bike frame is LA now so I should have it in a couple of days.

Guess I better take a look at the engine now ya think?

Citi-sporter

Jun 16, 2014
North Bend, Or,
If you followed this thread I bought the engine first as it was a heck of deal with no idea what I was going to mount it on. If it turns out to be crap, lesson learned.

I'll know soon enough as the bike frame is LA now so I should have it in a couple of days.

My experience with the Honda clones has been positive, I own two bikes with a 100 and 125 CC engines. One has over 10,000 miles, still has good compression and runs well.

The Lifans are remarkably stout and durable, ( caveat..) as long as you do regular maintenance. Check the valves clearance cold before firing up the first time. I'd also stick to a 1000 mile oil change routine and drain the shipping oil the engine comes with and replace with a good quality Dino #30 or 10-40 like Delo 400 LE for the first break-in, ( cast-iron cylinders need to be broke in gentle..) and changed at 300 and 600 miles for the first two changes as there will be a bit of break-in wear metal-flakes that gets suspended in the first two oil uses.

This is normal for the clones.

If you are getting an oil cooler type engine, get the best cooler you can buy, it will help in Arizona especially.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
The 'bike' is here.
It didn't come as pictured, it came in a box the size of residential AC unit.

Inside the big box is a bunch of smaller boxes and the tires.

I think 'some assembly required' is one heck of an understatement, I expected a 'bike in a box' with the handlebars and front wheel off and such like all the other bikes I buy in a box, in this case I have to build the darn frame before I can even get started.

No biggie, just time consuming for a pet project so it gets the back burner for now.

I do feel for the DHL driver though...
It's monsoon season and he got here at 'prime time' for the heat.
Better he sweat than me however so I showed him where to put the box in the shop with just a little help from me once it was inside.

Anyway it's here, let the adventure begin ;-}

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
Nice... That's at least one step closer than most of us are who want to build one of those bikes..
I just had to shell out big bucks on setting up my new auto shop (and still got a lot more bucks that need shelling out) but once the money starts coming in instead of going out I'll be ordering up a kit for myself, but for me for now it's still just wishful thinking... just hopefully not too much longer...

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Actually it seems they are made in Kachsung Taiwan, at least that's where it shipped from.
Nope, the owner of the company told me they gave the contract to China to build them as the quality and the price was far better than what the US or Germany and a few others could offer them.

Made In China.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn

I would not call them "crap", just not up to Honda level of build quality.
I KNOW you like your stuff equipped with the best so I wondered if you had thought of it.
Not a problem since you can always re-power it down the road if needed.
I'm a real fan of Japanese dirt bike motors, including the laydown Honda's!
The ATC90 style motor is nearly bulletproof.

redneck82

May 25, 2014
concord, nh
in terms of the one im building its an experiment... im def glad for the brake in advice! and im up in new hampshire so the whole extreem hot isnt nearly as much of an issue... i am still up in the air however on going with the automatic or the mani 4speed...

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
in terms of the one im building its an experiment... im def glad for the brake in advice! and im up in new hampshire so the whole extreem hot isnt nearly as much of an issue... i am still up in the air however on going with the automatic or the mani 4speed...
Whatever you go with make sure it doesn't have a clutch lever, the bike has independent hydraulic disc brakes.

Originally posted by BigDOGGe
[br]The nice thing about having to assemble it is that you know the bike inside and out. With this example to show potential customers, I bet you will get some orders for some in assembled form.
And I can paint it because I'm not building it on this ugly charcoal gray main frame.

It is far from a rolling frame however.

1280x view http://KCsBikes.com/pics/MotoPedFrame1-1280.jpg
4000x view (warning, huge detail!) http://KCsBikes.com/pics/MotoPedFrame1-4Kx3K.jpg

Man it sure has a beefy swingarm/jackshaft, real motorcycle quality, and look at those welds!

Some instructions would have been nice.
The only instructions I got are how to deal with the hydraulic disc brakes, it's kind of like a jigsaw puzzle with no picture on the box top at the moment but I'm a clever guy and may have it to a 'rolling frame' by the weekend.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Whatever you go with make sure it doesn't have a clutch lever, the bike has independent hydraulic disc brakes.

And I can paint it because I'm not building it on this ugly charcoal gray main frame.

It is far from a rolling frame however.

1280x view http://KCsBikes.com/pics/MotoPedFrame1-1280.jpg
4000x view (warning, huge detail!) http://KCsBikes.com/pics/MotoPedFrame1-4Kx3K.jpg

Man it sure has a beefy swingarm/jackshaft, real motorcycle quality, and look at those welds!

Some instructions would have been nice.
The only instructions I got are how to deal with the hydraulic disc brakes, it's kind of like a jigsaw puzzle with no picture on the box top at the moment but I'm a clever guy and may have it to a 'rolling frame' by the weekend.
It's pretty straight forward for anyone with the ability to build bikes from the ground up.....just assemble it. If you need instructions, you may be in trouble laff

EDIT: I'm still trying to figure out what this thread is doing in the "Motorized Bicycle General Discussion" forum? Seems to me it might be a little bit more appropriate in the 4-stroke forum here?

Last edited:

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
$2500 for a bicycle in today's world is nothing for the serious rider, heck this electric shifter I am still dinking with (breaks drive chain) is on a $3,500 Specialized frame.

With $1,200 in electronics in that Specialized I could darn near build 2 of these 86cc 4-speed 4-strokes on Motoped frames for the same price.
Is that motor free spinning at all when you get to your shifter? That thought just occurred to me? Dunno?

If you got enough torque on that motor? I found out early in my MJShaft NV get up I made,, only a BMX HD chain could stand up to the fight and that was close to no good by 1,200 to mebbe 2000 miles tops. That chain will be laying on the ground or if lucky some how tangled up. That problem stopped when I gave up on Dérailleur shifters.

The BMX chain was getting changed out every 800 miles for me at optimal performance expectations.

That was single speed chain to a N.V. hub gearing set to run pretty high against the hub's for more anti slip inside the hubs gearing. on a mebbe 5.8 H.P. morin motor at the time. That could be why I did not blow that hub then?

I don't think you are running more than 1,200 watts are you? If it is that torque'y of a motor??? How hard is this bike launching?

Last edited:

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Is that motor free spinning at all when you get to your shifter? That thought just occurred to me? Dunno?

I don't think you are running more than 1,200 watts are you? If it is that torque'y of a motor??? How hard is this bike launching?
Just under 1KW nominal on a 35 pound bike.

I put a wide-spaced 7-speed cartridge on and running Z33 HD 5-speed chain now, it seems to be holding up fine no matter how hard we beat on it but I'm with you, internal gears and HD 410 chain.

The motor has a freewheel sprocket so no drag from pedaling or motor power, and of course the pedals freewheel.

---

(smiles at Scotto)
I have built plenty of bicycles from the frame up, this ain't no bicycle frame, these videos were helpful however in getting the right parts in the right place.

https://motopeds.com/how-to-assemble

I went with 5 coats of AZ sun baked on gloss black PlastiKote high temp engine paint, and a couple of coats of lacquer on the frame.
It didn't need high temp paint, I just like the stuff.

Everything else in the shop is done so it's time to start getting this thing together.