Need advice and help for my first motorbike build

GoldenMotor.com

J0sh

Jan 12, 2014
Calfiornia
Hello, my name is Josh and I live in California, I have been interested in motorbikes for a month now but haven't been able to actually start to build one, I was looking around for any forums about motorbikes and found this. My question is if anybody could suggest any bike and motor kit that works together for under $500, in California 2 strokes are illegal so I will need a 4 stroke, please respond as soon as possible. Thanks :).bf.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Hello, my name is Josh and I live in California, I have been interested in motorbikes for a month now but haven't been able to actually start to build one, I was looking around for any forums about motorbikes and found this. My question is if anybody could suggest any bike and motor kit that works together for under $500, in California 2 strokes are illegal so I will need a 4 stroke, please respond as soon as possible. Thanks :).bf.
Not sure where to point you to, but I know we have many many memebers here that live in Cal. And ride and build there 2 stroke china girl bike without any issues,

Its a crying s hame that the nut job tree huggers have messed so much up for the people in Cal, we're allowed to run any engine on about anything here in Texas and I garrantee our air here is just as clean if not cleaner than the air in Cal, best wishes and welcome to the best motorbicycle forum on the web hands down......

Im sure some of our great members from California will chime in soon and give you some vreat direction on what to do to get you what you need for your bike build.
Map

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
Where abouts in California are you located?

You do not have to buy a 4 stroke.

The police do not enforce C.A.R.B. motor laws so there is no problem with riding a 2 stroke motorized bicycle on California streets.

Last edited:

J0sh

Jan 12, 2014
Calfiornia
Where abouts in California are you located?

You do not have to buy a 4 stroke.

The police do not enforce C.A.R.B. motor laws so there is no problem with riding a 2 stroke motorized bicycle on California streets.
I live in SD. I might not have to but no site I have seen will sell one to CA cause of them being illegal.

MysterySandwich

Jun 30, 2012
California
As a Californian in NorCal I can tell you I didn't run into any problems the short time I had a 2-stroke build, and I ride a 4-stroke friction drive around a lot and never get into any trouble.

But if you're more comfortable with getting a 4-stroke I would highly suggest a 4-stroke friction drive build. They're so incredibly easy, simple, and reliable. I had little to no mechanical experience when going into a 2-stroke build and had TONS of trouble, just one thing after another. The switch to a 4-stroke FD made my life much easier and made my bike more reliable :). However I am glad that I walked out with all the 2-stroke experience, I plan on doing another china girl build one day.

Staton-inc has some really nice Honda FD kits for a little over $400.

If you do go for a 2-stroke build I wish you the best of luck!

Last edited:

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
Selling assembled non-EPA approved 2 stroke bicycle engine kits is prohibited in CA, due to CARB regulations, but you can find kits from some vendors, and owning and riding them isn't illegal at all.

Four strokes are better for everyday use, and two strokes are better for a ripping good time and have more of a feel of a racing engine, that's why I like the two strokes for fun. Two strokes require more tuning and maintenance to keep them running at peak, but if you have a mellow tuned 66cc that's jetted right and doesn't lean out or run rich and foul plugs, it can be a reliable long distance runner as well. The main reliability problems from two stroke bicycle engines is from manufacturing defects, or assembly mistakes at the factory. There are vendors who address these issues and sell reliable bicycle engines, but it's up to you to tune them properly and keep an eye on them so they don't run with an air leak which can cause self destruction.

Two strokes are great for learning about tuning and performance, the small four strokes are good for touring without maintenance, and the big four stroke utility/minibike engines make a lot of power and can be extensively modded as well. Whichever you choose, know and assert your rights to ride, and don't bend under pressure, carry paperwork if its a local problem.

MysterySandwich

Jun 30, 2012
California
Do you remember what the name of the bike and 4-stroke
engine you got was called?
I just slapped a staton-inc friction drive kit + Subaru Eh035 4-stroke engine on an old Raliegh cruiser I had. I actually took it apart and am now in the process of putting the engine kit on a Fito Modena GT.

Make sure whichever bike you choose to get will work with whatever engine kit you choose to buy, whether it is a 2-stroke build, friction drive, or whatever.

Some of the more well-known & trusted friction drive kits...

http://www.staton-inc.com/store/index.php?p=catalog&parent=13&pg=1

http://thatsdax.com/

http://bumblebeebolton.com/

J0sh

Jan 12, 2014
Calfiornia
I just slapped a staton-inc friction drive kit + Subaru Eh035 4-stroke engine on an old Raliegh cruiser I had. I actually took it apart and am now in the process of putting the engine kit on a Fito Modena GT.

Make sure whichever bike you choose to get will work with whatever engine kit you choose to buy, whether it is a 2-stroke build, friction drive, or whatever.

Some of the more well-known & trusted friction drive kits...

http://www.staton-inc.com/store/index.php?p=catalog&parent=13&pg=1

http://thatsdax.com/

http://bumblebeebolton.com/
Sadly, I don't have enough money to buy the kit and bike and build it ): but I did find 2 bikes on craiglist, a 50cc and a 80cc, which one do you think I should get? If you want me to I can post pictures and info, the 80cc looks a little beaten up and needs a new rim, but is it worth it for the power?

MysterySandwich

Jun 30, 2012
California
Oh shoot I missed the $500 price limit, I would go for the 80cc (which is actually just 66cc) -- you notice the power difference when it comes to accelerating from stop signs/lights and especcially when climbing hills.
But there are lots of other variables, post some links/pics of those craigslist ads. You don't want to end up with a bike that only has 100 miles left on it with shoddy parts that you'll end up spending lots of money replacing.
You get what you pay for.

Also you can pick up a BRAND NEW (80)66cc 2-stroke engine kit on eBay for only $150. I would recommend getting a new kit - you'll get that brand-new parts feeling hehe.

Last edited:

J0sh

Jan 12, 2014
Calfiornia
Oh shoot I missed the $500 price limit, I would go for the 80cc (which is actually just 66cc) -- you notice the power difference when it comes to accelerating from stop signs/lights and especcially when climbing hills.
But there are lots of other variables, post some links/pics of those craigslist ads. You don't want to end up with a bike that only has 100 miles left on it with shoddy parts that you'll end up spending lots of money replacing.
You get what you pay for.

Also you can pick up a BRAND NEW (80)66cc 2-stroke engine kit on eBay for only $150. I would recommend getting a new kit - you'll get that brand-new parts feeling hehe.
here is the info and picture of the bike

phatcruiser

Sep 23, 2013
San Diego
Staton sells a great friction drive kit with a Chinese clone Mitsubishi motor for 250.00. The Chinese motor is plenty powerful and is reliable. San Diego is the perfect place for friction drive set ups due to the lack of rain. Check your PM's