Old Newb in Wisconsin

GoldenMotor.com

rust2rods

May 1, 2013
South Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Well, here goes.... I decided I wanted to put a "china girl" motor on an old cruiser. I live very close to Lake Michigan, several bike paths and thought it would be fun to put one of these together. I build hot rods as a hobby and while poking around at a recent auto swap, I saw some pretty sweet old bikes. But the people that were selling them must have thought they were gold. Lowest I've seen was 250 for a beat up POS that I've seen at rummage sales and city dumps for free if not the owners paying me to haul it away. So I decided to locate one and slap a little 2 stroke motor on it. I located one on my local craigslist. Again, another car guy. Wanted 100 bucks for it. I called him and set him straight. He gave up and told me he fished it out of a basement of a rental property. I knew I had him at that point. I offered him 60 for it without seeing it. He agreed. I drove out to his place after work and took a look at it. It was rougher than I thought, but from what I can tell I'd say someone last worked on it probably in the late 60's. I am guessing it's a late 50's Schwinn Wasp. I bought it and took it home. Now the fun starts. I havn't done anything with bikes since my pre-teen years, but back in the day, I owned an Orange Krate and a Pea Picker. As I grew up and traded those bikes off (yeah I know....) for 10 speeds, I used to ride a 10 speed everywhere... Once I turned 16, I stopped riding bike. Fast forward, I will be 42 tomorrow and decided to put one of these together for myself. I am getting a quick crash course of what I have, and what direction I need to go in.
What I am trying to find out is the rims that I have are S7's They are in fairly good condition but need some care. Close to true, but lots of surface rust (patina). I want to go with the widest tire I can on it, and then order up my china motor kit for it.

I guess I am trying to find places to order up the parts I'd need to get this thing into a roller. I'd even be willing to buy wider diameter rims to fit the largest tire I can in there...

Can anyone perhaps point me in the right direction to websites for the crusier parts?

Here's a shot of the bike...

I have a pretty well equipped shop for car work. I do full fab, body and paint. I have MIG, TIG, Plasma capabilities, along with Powder coating and all the tools you'd need for fabrication.

Here's one of my current auto projects... 1969 Beetle IRS Pan (Frame/Suspension) on Air Ride.

Before

During

After

A shot of the front at it's lowest setting. Fully adjustable height.

I am looking forward to sharing my progress on this bike much like the car projects.

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
Where cattle outnumber people 3 to 1.
Welcome! You seem well equipped and knowledgeable enough to do fantastic things with gas-bikes in no time at all. Watch out- it's like a disease! Except with ridiculous amounts of fun.:)
There are plenty of members here with like experience to assist you, and they are plenty friendly. I'm sure you'll have a bunch of feedback soon.
As far as me, I must say to that bug; nice low-low!

rust2rods

May 1, 2013
Trey - Thanks! Yeah, I know it can be like a disease. That's how the car thing started. I used to work on cars in my youth. Same with bikes. Before I worked on cars, there were several kids that used to run a bike repair shop out of my parents shed. We used to fix up kids bikes and ours in exchange for parts and sometimes money. I guess you could say that while growing up my friends and I were quite the entrepreneurs. I remember a kid bringing us an old 3 wheeler schwinn. He said he got it from his grandparents. Back then we were into the BMX scene as it was just starting. We didn't know what we were going to do at first with it... Then we came up with an idea, let's make it into a BMX 3 wheeler. And we did! Later we were turning bikes into motorized bikes. We put a couple 4 stroke motors on them and used to terrorize the neighborhood. Man those were the days!

I guess what I need to know is where to start looking for decent prices on tires and rims. I am searching the internet for online places for parts. Just trying to find some good "sources" people could recommend.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
I can see it now! In a year or so you will have a shed full of small engines and bikes just waiting to build,AWESOME......Curt

rust2rods

May 1, 2013
Well after doing a bunch of research on websites and pricing. I decided to go to my local walmart and find a "donor" bike. My plans are to use the parts off the "donor bike" to put on the Schwinn Wasp frame. New rims and tires would have cost me as much if not more than for the whole bike. Here's what I ended up getting....

http://www.walmart.com/ip/26-Huffy-...00000012230215302434&affillinktype=15&veh=aff

Rims are black in color, made of steel and 12ga spokes. Has rear coaster brake, Tires are 26" x 2.125", black steel fenders... it should do the trick. I will probably put everything on this bike and then sandblast and either paint or powder coat the Schwinn frame. Next thing to order is a front springer fork.... and of course the motor kit... :D

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
Where cattle outnumber people 3 to 1.
Man. You could build THAT bike... maybe later;)
I'm not sure what the consensus is, but for what it's worth I've been real happy with my Grubee Skyhawk Stage III, 4 Stroke Huasheng 49cc. I purchased it well broken in, and in the four months I've owned it, ridden nearly 100 miles. Honestly, I'm still getting it where I want it before paint.
I would suggest upgrading your rear hub/ sprocket/ brakes, right from go. There's lots of discussion here concerning that. Wish I could give you some guidance on sourcing, but I am unable. Hang in there, you'll have all the suggestions you can handle!

rust2rods

May 1, 2013
bigdbeach -Thanks!

Trey - To be honest, I am not sure if I am going to put the parts on the Schwinn now or not. I do know that the color scheme I am going after is going to mirror the vw I am building. The color of the bike is going to be the green color on the vw frame in the earlier post. Mango green, gloss black and either a brown leather saddle and grips similar to the car's interior. I have been starting to consider building that old wasp frame into an adult sized Orange Krate. ;). I have been looking at some of the 4 cycle motors, but to be honest this thing will be at car shows idling. So I am not too concerned about the brakes. Besides.... Brakes are so over rated! I think a 2 stroke will do just fine. Looking to order up the springer fork next. Waiting for the bike to come in since it's new item for the stores and not in stock in any of the stores near me. I will get some photos before I paint it up.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Rust,
Sorry to be late welcoming you but better late than never, right?
There are a few of old hot rodders here who have discovered the allure of motorized bicycles. I was at a car show back in 07 when I saw the first Chinese 2 stroke (China Girl) conversion and I was stung from that moment. Just finished building number 12.

As for sourcing parts; if you're Internet savy, just spend some time and search. You'll find what you're looking for and when you do and need opinions just ask. We'll do our best to steer you right.
With your talents, experience and equipment, you'll have no problems whatsoever building a safe reliable bike. I'm certain you have one but if not pick up an inch pound torque wrench. It'll pay for itself quickly. I assure you.

Keep us informed on your progress and when help is needed we'll be here for you.
Good luck, have fun and ride safe.

Tom

rust2rods

May 1, 2013
2door - Thanks, and you can say I am internet savvy...(I do technical support for a living) I have found pretty much everything I need now. Located a couple more sites that pointed me to (and away from) some online sellers. I am really just looking to build one in addition to my car projects. You know, something do also work on when your waiting for paint to dry or parts to come in. Also building it to ride around the swap meets with plus good conversation starters... As far as an inch pound wrench, yep... got that covered. I have a very well equipped shop at home. And with 4 car projects going on now, why not add in a bike or two, right?

curtisfox - Thanks, I will keep that in mind! I always love reading some of the old "how to do's" from magazines and other old resources. Makes me feel a bit nostalgic remembering riding my bike to the downtown public library with a pocket full of dimes to copy that stuff out of the books to take home and review for other ideas.

I know this is a motorized bike forum, but these are some of the projects that led me here...

This one is called Project Blueie. It's a 1950 Chevrolet Pickup on a 1994 Chevy S-10 4x4 Chassis. This is my shop truck. It's all the left over parts from another 1950 Chevy Truck build called project Tweetie. (as you can tell my wife names these so she knows what the **** I am working on.)

Project Tweety is just a pile of parts at the moment, but will be a 1950 Chevy 5 window cab with complete air ride suspension, NASCAR Busch cup truck trailing arm rear suspension with custom Mustang II ifs with air ride all the way around and a 1955 Chevy 235 Inline 6 backed by a tremec 5 speed. 4 wheel disc brake and rack and pinion steering.

Then there's Steve. This is my Numbers Matching 1973 Chevy El Camino from Texas with a factory 1972 LS5 454 motor in it. This is a pre emissions motor ;) I've built this one up... 525hp 2 675 ft lbs. of torque.

The biggest problem with some of these projects is waiting for parts. Either locating them or just waiting for them to show up. I figured the bikes would be a good fill in and perhaps allow me to think a little more creatively on other projects.

I hope you guys don't mind me sharing the non related bike stuff, but I have little to contribute to that at the moment. I figured since it's all mechanical in nature, it might be a good fit... I promise I will have more bike related content after this... ;)

And if you want to read on some of the builds, I have online project journals at other websites.

Beetle Journal:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=477711&highlight=rust2rods

Chevy Trucks, El Camino and everything else... (47 Studebaker, 84 Monte Carlo SS, 1951 Dodge Pickup)
http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/journal.php?journalid=22733&action=view

And thanks again to the owners of this website for letting me post and use their site.