Look Out No Brakes!!

GoldenMotor.com

ResetBTTN

Mar 18, 2013
Killeen, TX
I was looking at the combo brake lever and clutch and would like to know if it would work with a front disc brake? I have 66/80cc Grubee Skyhawk motor mounted on my OCC Schwinn Stingray. I removed the brake and brake caliper today from the rear wheel because it rubbed the chain....then took it for a test spin--a slower test spin. It had been rubbing with the original chain from the kit but I upgraded the chain to a #41 size from Tractor Supply Company....I've broke 3 chains before upgrading!!
My plan is to install a disc brake on the front wheel. I've wanted a disc brake from the beginning now it's a must that I get one to avoid the chain rubbing the pad and brake cable. Anybody else had this issue and if so what was your solution? The combo brake lever and clutch looks like something I could really use. Could someone help and explain if this would be used for my engine clutch and my disc brake also.
Thanks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_qgiD6xAk8

NunyaBidness

Jun 29, 2008
memphis tn
The only reason a lever would be dual purpose is to operate both front and rear brakes at the same time. I've never know anyone to hook a brake and the clutch up to a dual purpose lever.

ResetBTTN

Mar 18, 2013
Killeen, TX
Bikeberry.com and Pedalchopper.com both have this. It's a brake lever and clutch combo. The clutch is operated by a trigger type mechanism on the combo lever rather than like a normal clutch lever.
So I'm putting the question out there to see if anyone here has used or is using one with their clutch and a front disc brake.

Legwon

Mar 2, 2013
Van bc Canada
Bikeberry.com and Pedalchopper.com both have this. It's a brake lever and clutch combo. The clutch is operated by a trigger type mechanism on the combo lever rather than like a normal clutch lever.
So I'm putting the question out there to see if anyone here has used or is using one with their clutch and a front disc brake.
all that is, is a 2 or 3 stage rapid-fire shifter attached to the brake handle.
its not specially made for the motorized bicycle clutch systems. it should work. never tried it myself.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I would hope that you don't plan on running with just a front brake and nothing on the rear. That's asking for trouble if you ever need to make a panic stop.

Find a way to to get chain clearance and put those rear brakes back on. And don't ride the bike without brakes.
You might explore a 'top hat' style of rotor attachment for the rear hub and put disc on both front and rear.

Combining the brakes and clutch on one control sounds iffy at best. Two seperate levers will work but relying on a control meant for shifting gears to operate the clutch doesn't sound right.

Tom