Goats Head

GoldenMotor.com

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
I battled the tire-shifting valvestem cutting crap for a year. What my problem was that the tires I was using liked to slide in the rim, no matter what psi. After X amount of stoplight takeoffs, the stem would be at a nasty angle, and would eventually get cut. The heavier tube I used, the worse the problem got.

After I switched tire brands, no more problems. I've been using Slime for 20 years and will always use it.
It's gotten me home more times than I know! I've seen it hold air in a tire with cut valve stems 4x in the last year.

Edit: I don't patch tubes, either. 2 reasons: Slime makes it unnecessary, and Slime makes it near impossible.

Last edited:

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
WoW!

What a great thread!

It kinda gets to be like a Ford vs Chevy thing, with a Mopar guy hopping into the fray, once and a while, but there's an awful lot of great info here!!!

I wish I could afford to spring for all the nice tires and tubes you fellows talk about... but I'm still hoping to get up the bucks to try the DIY slime recipe using propylene glycol and liquid latex! lol

We definitely got goatheads here, but they are not horrible, brutal ones like must grow elsewhere.

Bad enough, though...
I've seen where they affected a bald automobile tire, worn too thin, and I managed to walk out into a patch of 'em when bare-footed, once when I was a kid.
Whew! THAT was a real enlightenment!

Great thread!
rc

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
If that happens on another tire, first check to make sure the beads aren't broken, then if it's ok, put tire glue all the way around one side of bead. (snow-racer's magic trick!) This will allow tire changes, but "bead lock" the tire even if it gets wet, icy, or flats. There is tire glue made for "sew up tires" aka tubular road bike tires. Try that. Not cheapest but only have to do 1x for life of the tire, probably. Maybe RTV glue would work too, if the right type.

I've patched Slime tubes (thick and thin ones). Try deflating the tube, hanging it over something like a door knob or porch railing to keep the hole upwards. Rub the spot with rubbing alcohol and dry, then patch like normal, keeping it from rotating down to the slime.

I battled the tire-shifting valvestem cutting crap for a year. What my problem was that the tires I was using liked to slide in the rim, no matter what psi. After X amount of stoplight takeoffs, the stem would be at a nasty angle, and would eventually get cut. The heavier tube I used, the worse the problem got.

After I switched tire brands, no more problems. I've been using Slime for 20 years and will always use it.
It's gotten me home more times than I know! I've seen it hold air in a tire with cut valve stems 4x in the last year.

Edit: I don't patch tubes, either. 2 reasons: Slime makes it unnecessary, and Slime makes it near impossible.

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
Edit. I don't know if it's still liquid inside the mower tires, but they haven't leaked since last summer when I put the goo in there. I found a bicycle tube that I had "pre-slimed" and it still had liquid goo in it from summer last year.

re: home brew. THere are 10000 pages about it, but here's a video, see what you think . Now keep in mind when I looked at this tube, one of the holes was near the rim and the slop couldn't reach it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVbDB3RNgnA This stuff works great in old lawnmower and tractor tires. It eventually turns into "boogers" though. And if you use it with tubes, it only works with super-tubes, and it makes a mess wherever it comes through, a white rubbery glue.

Like slime, this crap will ruin your pump if it gets in there! I quit using it.

WoW!

What a great thread!

It kinda gets to be like a Ford vs Chevy thing, with a Mopar guy hopping into the fray, once and a while, but there's an awful lot of great info here!!!

I wish I could afford to spring for all the nice tires and tubes you fellows talk about... but I'm still hoping to get up the bucks to try the DIY slime recipe using propylene glycol and liquid latex! lol

We definitely got goatheads here, but they are not horrible, brutal ones like must grow elsewhere.

Bad enough, though...
I've seen where they affected a bald automobile tire, worn too thin, and I managed to walk out into a patch of 'em when bare-footed, once when I was a kid.
Whew! THAT was a real enlightenment!

Great thread!
rc

Last edited:

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID
I would say heck, yeah! they will work with a friction drive as well as any. I don't know if they come in any other size, though. Which would be very strange.

I basically had to get them, the tires that come on a Mongoose Paver are terrible, you can't inflate them without blowing them off the rims. It's a problem Mongoose knows about. They sent me 2 new tires and tubes and replaced the back rim that bent when the tire blew. They had a metal bead and STILL they would not seat. It's my thought that there was an idea to cut costs on the rim and it was made smaller diameter, thus useing less metal in the rim. I came to this conclusion by where the brake pads mount in the slot on the brakes. They are adjusted clear to the bottom of the slot. See, the fork manufacturer knows where to weld the brake mounts for all sizes and weld the posts so they are in the middle of the adjustment range. Having to adjust them all the way makes me think that too small of a rim was the culprit.

I found mine on eBay from a place in Salt Lake City, Utah for $30 each, inc shipping.

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
Thanks for the information. Sorry to hear about your mongoose having defective rims. That is terrible. What has been the difference between these tires and others, with the same rims? Is it a stronger bead, or a thicker casing, that keeps them on? Or did you change the rims?

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID
I think it's really the polyethelene band that runs all the way around the tire just under the tread. It does not expand at all. It's one piece with no joint so there's not a gap. Polyethelene is the stuff they make car battery cases from and the liners that go into bike tires.

I wish they had these in 24" x 3", I'd buy them in a heartbeat for my new bike :)

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
I've patched Slime tubes (thick and thin ones). Try deflating the tube, hanging it over something like a door knob or porch railing to keep the hole upwards. Rub the spot with rubbing alcohol and dry, then patch like normal, keeping it from rotating down to the slime.
If you can patch that tube there clearly is not enough product in the tube!

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
Even if the green goo works sometimes, it doesn't seem to work permanently, as it either leaks air eventually, or turns to "boogers" inside the tube, then leaks, or just leaks all the goo out. I'm not paying for any more of the stuff.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Even if the green goo works sometimes, it doesn't seem to work permanently, as it either leaks air eventually, or turns to "boogers" inside the tube, then leaks, or just leaks all the goo out. I'm not paying for any more of the stuff.
I just put some large marge rims on my M.B. and after battling tires irons with that set up...theres no way I would ever want to fix those on the road side. they are like 3 inch wide rims.

What I meant to say is just because you saw green does not mean their was clogging particulates available. I use way more in a tire than the average joe. Once with the nail to the rim shot I had used brake cleaner for zero residue. That goose was fryed.

Just this summers I got a dry wall screw and I was experimenting with a lot more of product in a very big tire 24X3.0 Only time a nail shot all the way to the rim where the product simply does not reach still got me home.

That tire had big pyracantha thorns still in it when I took it off it showed a ton of abuse.. Before the nail to the rim I was finally airing it back up once a week with every day riding.. It never ever went flat on me just got softer. A shared of wire was still in it too and tons of those stickers. At the time I had no intention of repairing anything till the nail got me.

If I had put a teasing amount of product in that tire it would have never done so well. My tubes are not patchable for that reason.

Last edited: