2 bike stolen in san diego

GoldenMotor.com

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID
Not an option for most but with no women around I keep my bike in the house. When I was much younger I knew a guy that kept his Harley chopper in the living room. His girlfriend had no say in the matter. Guy wasn't very tall but he was almost as wide as he was tall. I watched him pick the bike up and place it on a wire spool to work on it.

spanners

Oct 5, 2011
east coast Australia
I'm very sorry to hear this; I know how you must be feeling. I live in what some would call a bad part of town, I’ve had my car pushed out of the front yard under my bedroom window and stolen "a two year build". Some of the young up coming crims know I have these bikes, I'm always finding the locked back gate open in the mornings, “twice this month" I have no choice but to drag them inside after every ride.zpt

charliechaindrive.

Nov 20, 2011
staples mn
Yea, I live next to a moto crosstrack and some very sketchy people who siphoned all the diesel out of my dads tractor fuel bulktank. The idiots at the track sho my cows and my workshed with paintball gun. So I shot back with mine...loaded with marbles

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
I am very sorry to hear that your bikes were stolen!
I hate thieves and I have a healthy passion for hurting them.

I will keep an eye out for both bikes, as well as check out some of the local trailer parks around here that are known for being a den of thieves.

If I find anything I will post it in this thread.

cory151

Oct 19, 2010
SoCal
Kind of weird... obviously someone local saw them and broke the chain and stole them... but an MB would surely stand out being driven around in that town, so was it someone around for the holidays more likely who was leaving town?

Losing one is bad, but two at the same time is crazy...
Just like my Dodge Diesel 4x4, those bike are probably in mexico.

foundmydog

Oct 17, 2011
South Carolina, USA
Any word from the police yet on finding your two rides?

I would venture a guess to say they are waiting for you to build a new one and park it there again!

What are your plans for security when you rebuild a new one?

hawaii_87

San Diego's Master Ride Organizer
May 17, 2011
San Diego
Nope nothing yet. Thats what I keep telling myself............Yet. The next build will have two alarms, double U-locks, 1000lbs rated chain, & registration. Plus a note to let them know we are watching and these will not get far.

charliechaindrive.

Nov 20, 2011
staples mn
Buy a cheap electric fencer and when you lock it up at night just attach 2 aligator clips to the frame somewhere so if the goons try to steel it theyl get zaped. Just hide the wire and put the fencer somwhere where they can't hear the ticking

cory151

Oct 19, 2010
SoCal
Buy a cheap electric fencer and when you lock it up at night just attach 2 aligator clips to the frame somewhere so if the goons try to steel it theyl get zaped. Just hide the wire and put the fencer somwhere where they can't hear the ticking

Great idea but thats not actually the correct way to wire a fencer. Hot side can go to the bike, the other needs to go to ground(literally the ground). Insides of parking garages a concrete and will not conduct a ground.

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
Great idea but thats not actually the correct way to wire a fencer. Hot side can go to the bike, the other needs to go to ground(literally the ground). Insides of parking garages a concrete and will not conduct a ground.
Take an aluminum screen sliding door from the patio door, lay it down, park the bike on it and clip to the screen frame for ground. ;) The metal may not last long under current, but it doesn't have to. The other popular one is to wire voltage to the door knob and the welcome mat, grow ops often do this to the door of the house with straight 120V AC.
If you want to know who's messing with your rides, use a strong enough DC current and they'll be stuck there (literally) waiting for you to turn it off.

foundmydog

Oct 17, 2011
South Carolina, USA
Suppose a child or youngster wanders by and touches it out of curiousity.... Barring the multi million dollar lawsuit against you.... have you considered the manslaughter charges you may be hit with???

fastfingas

Dec 25, 2011
New Orleans
well since you brought it up MYDOG thats a good point i didn't want to go there ,but theres a LAW against that type of secuity if you want to call it that ,it's called (AN INDISCRIMINET DETERRENT) AND THATS PRICISLY THE REASON WHY ...SOME INNOCENT INDIVIDUAL MAY COME ALONG UNDER WHAT EVER CIRCUMSTANCES AND RECIEVE WHATEVER YOU HAVE RIGGED UP!!!!! YOU CAN'T EVEN DO IT INSIDE YOUR HOUSE LIKE RIGGING WINDOWS OR DOORS!!!!!!!!THATS THE WAY IT IS ?????????????

foundmydog

Oct 17, 2011
South Carolina, USA
Ever hear of the stories of burglers breaking into a house and in the process getting hurt in the house and filing a lawsuit against the home owner for their injury and winning?

It has happened and is true!

The first guy who tries to steal it and gets hurt will say he tripped into it and you injured him!

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID
What relates to wireing your bike is there was a case where a house was broken into quite often. The homeowner rigged a shotgun up as a booby trap. As you can guess the burgler got his head blown off and the homeowner was charged and convicted with 2nd Degree Murder, depraved indifference.

Now, put up a chain link fence, wire it and put up huge warning signs is a different thing. Die from that then you'r just stupid.

thedude

Sep 10, 2011
San Francisco
I'm sorry to hear about your bike.

I live in a city with one of the highest bike theft rates in the country last I heard a statistic, so I think about the security of mine and others bicycles alot. I have had an alarm on my bike for a while, but its mostly just for show, makes alot of noise but can be cut off with bolt cutters easily a
nd also this sticker that uses thoses coded pictures smart phones use and is registered online(I will list the links below).
However I just found this which I am going to order, its a U-lock, and/or cable lock with a built in alarm. It seems to be a great option and im hoping it will be as good as what I would hope to recieve from a professional security company. Also I think bicycle security is a large enough topic to have its own categor, but since it doesnt i will start a thread in the bicycle safety forum. Hopefully everybody will put in there 2 cents and we will begin a large resource of security options.

Bicycle Security & Theft Prevention Product

Bike Shepherd - Bike Registration and Stolen Bike Alert

Motor bike Bicycle Alarm Security Sound Alarm Lock | eBay

hawaii_87

San Diego's Master Ride Organizer
May 17, 2011
San Diego
I would like to rig something up like that but there is children where i live and they like to play. They really like to touch the bike also. I dont need to be hurting anyone. I will have two alarms set up so if they get the first one they will have a time issue with the second one.