Master Links

GoldenMotor.com

ZRTMWA

Feb 23, 2010
Baltimore, Maryland
So I had read all the threads about how they suck and I have a chain breaker so I shouldn't ever need one again. But last week my chain broke off and I was one link short. I didn't have any extra links except for the master. So I figured whatever, I only want to ride it for this weekend, it'll be fine for 3 days and then I'll buy a new chain.

So I attached the master link (on the inside and with the open clip facing away from going into the engine). I started the bike up and IT RAN FOR 45 SECONDS UNTIL THE CHAIN FELL OFF. I attached it again and it fell off again. Then I decided what the **** and put duct tape around the center of the link to see if that would keep the clip on. That lasted for about 3 minutes, then the master link totally bent out of shape at 20mph and part of my chain got stuck up in the front sprocket.

STAY AWAY FROM MASTER LINKS AT ALL COSTS. A chain breaker might seem expensive at first but it will pay itself off because you won't have to keep replacing your chain.

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
I'm no fan of master links myself - they can cause balance issues and accelerated wear at high chain speeds - but I've never broken one like you describe. Sounds like you have a chain alignment problem or a chain that got twisted a bit. That's not the fault of the master link.

Pilotgeek

Apr 6, 2011
Green Bay, WI
Of course, if you can get away without one, by all means do so. Balance issues, the possibility of it breaking, etc...

However, I have never had a problem with my master links. I have about 500 miles on one of my chains and it's still perfectly fine.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
With proper chain alignment and tension master links will not cause you any problems. I agree with Aleman. You have a chain alignment/tension issue. If the master link is hitting the engine case and causing interference, then the chain is not properly aligned.

View your chain path from the rear of the bike. It should be an absolutely straight line. If it is being pulled to the side then there's your problem.
Rough teeth on the sprockets can also cause chain problems. Smooth the teeth, especially on the rear, driven sprocket so the chain rides evenly over them and doesn't bind anywhere. I like to use wire brush on a bench grinder or a metal finishing pad on a side grinder to take any roughness off the kit supplied sprocket teeth.

Drive chains also need lubrication. Either a good motorcycle chain lube or chainsaw chain/bar lube is good. Make sure you don't have any rough/binding links in your chain. The kit supplied #415 chain is notorious for having rollers and cheek plates that bind.
Tom

muddybike

Jul 31, 2010
Calgary
Broke one master link last yr, and none so far this yr, think you might need to do some other adjustments on your bike.

Pilotgeek

Apr 6, 2011
Green Bay, WI
If you still have alignment issues, a nice #41 chain works quite nicely (I'm sure that subject has already been beat to death). It's a little wider, and allows easier alignment. The chain will probably be of better quality than the kit chain too.