My project [Suggestions]

GoldenMotor.com

lukinhasb

Apr 23, 2011
BR-13
Hello,

I'm doing a project of a motorized bicycle, and I'm facing some doubts...

1 - ENGINE

I could use one of those:

4 strokes engine with 2.8 HP (87cc):

Weight: 10kg
Dimensions: Approximately 20cm high, wide and lenght

4 strokes engine with 5.5 HP (163cc):

Weight: 15kg
Dimensions: Approximately 40cm high, wide and lenght

(Or any of the engines on this site)

Translation:
Potência = Potency
CV = HP
Potência Máxima = Max Potency
Potência Contínua = Continuous Potency
Gama de Rotação Recomendada = Gamma of Recommended RPM

So, the max cc's allowed to a person who does not have an driver license to ride is 49cc, so I'm avoiding the 5.5's engine to not bring me trouble...

Does the 2.8hp can handle a bike well? I want to climb a little hill at around 40km/h

2 - FRAME

Caloi 24" with carbon steel frame:

The frame is too small to put an engine, so I'm thinking in those baggage stuff, don't know the name for it in english... Like this:

3 - JACKSHAFT KIT

I've seen Russell's jackshaft project and found it interesting, I'll try to adapt one similar to his... I've made a very bad looking 3D version of the bike, unfinished yet, but just to give an idea:

Also, I have 8 cm between the wheel and the frame, and I'm afraid it gets in the trajectory of the pedal... Here's a pic

4 - CONCLUSION

So, I have the bike and I'm willing to buy the engine and do the jackshaft kit, but I really like to plan everything before buy so I don't regret...

I don't have any experience on this and any tips would be real great, an 24" bike is ok to do it? An 2.8hp 87cc engine is suppose to handle it well with an jackshaft kit? etc

Tomasito

Apr 8, 2011
Argentina
Oi!

You might want to search the forum for rack/rear mounts, and briggs&stratton/honda engine mounts.
Those engines are clones of the little hondas.
Look here for something like you want to do: http://motorbicycling.com/attachmen...otorized-mountain-bike-dax-titan-100_1667.jpg

You have to see if the engine has a centrifugal clutch, if not, you'll have to add one.

If you don't mind using a single-speed transmission for the engine, you can ditch the jackshaft. I think that with the 5.5hp engine you wont need gears, maybe neither with the 2.8hp one (i think the 2-stroke china kits have 2hp at most).

lukinhasb

Apr 23, 2011
BR-13
That's great, I didn't know it was popular to put the engine on the rear

But I'm kinda giving up on the bike, it would be too much problem to make and stuff... I'm thinking on doing it on a Walk Machine... I saw a video where the guy used exactly the same engine as I want, here's the video:

YouTube - Walk Machine Modificado 165 cc 1/2
YouTube - Walk Machine Modificado 165 cc 2/2

The walk machine is built to use an engine, so it's easier... I'll just have to stretch it's frame a little bit and put the engine in it... It already have the "belt" system to give traction and stuff... I'll just change power plant basically

PS: The engine does not have centrifugal clutch, I will buy one... I've seen this before, but thanks for the tip

PS 2: Thanks for the english stuff, but I can handle well... One more thing, don't excuse yourself for any english mistakes you might commit, if someones talk **** to you about this, há, I think I don't have to complete this sentence

Last edited:

Tomasito

Apr 8, 2011
Argentina
Well, don't give up just yet, you can make something like this, it isn't difficult to do:
YouTube - BICICLETA CON MOTOR 95 KM/H 60 MP/H PUSHER BIKE

(Look at his channel, he has many videos showing that thing)

Or... You could go this way haha:

YouTube - how to make a homemade motorized bicycle

Well, if done right it's a nice design already made many times (search for friction drive). That way you don't need a clutch (you just lift the engine). Off course that video is kinda a joke, but there are many nice ones out there.

I don't quite get the walk-machine thing. If it already has a engine, what would you do then? I'm lost.

In my oppinion, don't give up just yet, i think it's even simpler to do a rack-mount.

lukinhasb

Apr 23, 2011
BR-13
It haves an engine, yes, but a 2 strokes 37cc one... I'll put a 4 strokes 163cc

What I meant was, it was built to use an engine, so there's space and ways of transmitting it's force to the wheels, in the bike I would have to adapt, and I intend to use this for like 2~3 months, so I don't want to enter in a month project (like the bike), 'cause I'll take a motorcycle in 2~3 months, got it?