Hello from Colorado

GoldenMotor.com

Bryman31

May 6, 2010
Colorado
Hello, i was just recently turned on to this motorized bicycle fad by a co worker...he loves his bikes and is building his 3rd now. i have been looking into building my own, but am thinking that buying a prebuilt setup might be better for me. anyway just wanted to say hello, and i plan on asking A LOT of questions here in the next few weeks before i make my purchase......and so far i really have my eye on the stealth bike from spookytooth with maybe adding a springer fork for that cool look! HAHAHAHA what do you all think of that bike?

brnot

good vibrations

Mar 30, 2010
denva, calarada
Hello, i was just recently turned on to this motorized bicycle fad by a co worker...he loves his bikes and is building his 3rd now. i have been looking into building my own, but am thinking that buying a prebuilt setup might be better for me. anyway just wanted to say hello, and i plan on asking A LOT of questions here in the next few weeks before i make my purchase......and so far i really have my eye on the stealth bike from spookytooth with maybe adding a springer fork for that cool look! HAHAHAHA what do you all think of that bike?

brnot
After reading digruntled posts, praises and general experience, I feel like the most important thing you can consider is how much mechanical knowllege you have. If you don't mind tinkerin' and like the options for tuning and performance, get 2stroke. But keep in mind you get what you pay for. Don't get pist when a part fails after a week on your 130 dollar china. For reliability and quietness, get a 4. But yer gonna pay for it. Also the look is important to some of us. That plastic cover onthe four strokes just kills me. My bike looks like it belongs that way. A four stroke looks like a lawn mower engine mounted on a bike. No matter how you put the thing on there. Welcome by the way and good luck..xx.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Welcome to the forum. We Colorado riders are gaining in numbers. There's lots of help here from some very experienced builders. I'm sure you'll find the answers to all your questions and if not...just ask. We're all here to help. I have no knowledge of the Stealth; you'll need to wait and hear from people who have. Nevertheless, good luck on your first build/buy.
Tom

Randog707

Oct 18, 2009
Fairfield,ca
Whats up Bryman31,glad to see you on the forums,I just replied back to your youtube message, You'll find that their is tons of guys here with great advise,If any problems arise with your new build,dont be afraid to ask questions now matter how small,you'll save yourself alot of headaches.Randy

RonInColorado

May 4, 2010
Colorado
Welcome again. Being reletively new myself I've found that there is plenty to learn but that mostly it's basic common sense, a little patience, a bit of preparedness and some foresight.

When I first joined the forum one of my first questions was 'What are the most frequent problems people encounter?'

Some of the most relevant and helpful responses were:

Flat tires- get a bottle of the green slime at an auto parts store (cheaper than at the bike stores)

Failure of the CDI- Have a spare handy, the best price around and quick shipping is bicycle engine kit, bike engine, bicycle engine, bicycle motor located right here in Colorado

Failure of the magneto- They are cheap and also available at the web address above

Fouled spark plugs- carry a spare most recommend the NGK equivalent rather than an exact replacement

Chain failure- BMX chains from bike stores work well and if your kit came with a 410 chain instead of a 415 i would change that out before anything AND when it comes to the master link make sure that you put it on facing the right way!!!! My personal recommendation would be the BMX chain, its plenty heavy duty and you can get replacement master links at the local bike shop though I think they might be available for even less for bicycle engine kit, bike engine, bicycle engine, bicycle motor

Build it tight, the tolerances aren't the best in the world with these Chinese motors but a little well applied gasket sealant and locktite rather than just tossing it together with what is supplied can make a world of difference, where the white sheathing that protects the wires comes out of the magneto housing silicone around that and where the wires exit the white sheathing itself, keeping water out of the magneto can save lots of headaches.

Beyond that do a pre-flight check daily or at least very very regularly the vibration does tend to loosen things up and this is where the locktite on the threads and double nutting bolts wherever and whenever practical.

Most importantly have a safe ride, never assume anyone sees you and always figure that the nearest car(s) are always out to get you.

Happy Riding

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Several of us are in the front range area, mostly in the 6000' catagory. One of our members and a sponsor, bicycle engine kit, bike engine, bicycle engine, bicycle motor has experimented at much higher elevations. You might consider contacting the owner, Duane, to see what he recommends for an engine that sees thinner air. You can naturally assume that you'll be dealing with a richer mixture due to the elevation. Raising the 'c' clip on the needle would be the first step Duane might have some other information to add. Good luck. Keep us posted.

Last edited: