New jackshaft update.

GoldenMotor.com

toker_ace

Oct 15, 2008
alabama
Ok, here we go. Got my jackshaft in the mail yesterday (as always super fast shipping). I always thought if I could just figure out how to build the front freewheel crank system it would be easy to fabricate the rest of the jackshaft.Boy, was I stupid! There is alot of time and research that went into this little set-up.I'm sure it could be fabricated, but not for $179.00. The kit is top quality! Installation is kinda like the first engine kit you ever put together. The second time would be 100 times easier. My wife laughted when she saw me print out the 21 page installation guild, cause I never read instructions.LOL. I just read step by step and it all worked out great. I had a couple of problems, but I got it. One was getting the jackshaft to crank chain on. and the other is mounting the rear mount. They state in the istallation that its a little complicated. May need a few better pictures. It took me about four hours to complete. I was watching the Alabama & Auburn game at the same time in my shop (great game by the way...Auburn almost upset the #2 team). Anyways, cranking it was weird. You start pedaling and let out the clutch and then push real hard on the pedals and away I went. I have the expansion chamber on my bike. I learned after its warm you can pick up the rear tire by the seat and crank it with one turn of the pedals. Awsome! I also, ordered the rear freewheel with the mega drive. Once it cranked I went right up the hill in front of my house like I was in granny gear. It was cool.Once on flat ground I shifted.Now shifting takes a little getting use to. There is a little delay in shifting, but I'm sure I'll figure that out in no time. It worked perfect! The coolest thing since peanut butter! So, I went up and down the street a couple of times and rolled back up in the driveway and put it in granny gear and went up a steep grass hill in my yard and about 3/4 the way my chain came off the rear freewheel. LOL! So, i cranked it up in the shop, hung it up and with the motor running readjusted my derailler. It's cool that you can adjust your derailler using the motor. Half time was over so, I decided I would go ride after the game. Well, after the game it was dark and cold,LOL! So, its 5:00 am the next morning and as soon as the sun gets up I'm out to see what this baby will do! One last thing that was cool about the set-up is no more left chain and sprocket and tensioner.Heck, no tensioner is worth $179.00.LOL! Also, if a person wanted to stay in one gear you could. Me, I'm the shifting type! I'll give more updates this afternoon and some pictures. Sorry, if I rambled on! Later and thanks sick bike parts... you guys rock! usflg

AnthonyX99

Oct 13, 2009
Winnipeg
With the jackshift do u have to pull the clutch when you shift or just let the throttle go then shift also shifting down as well I planning on getting a jack shaft kit if I decide not to go for a 4 stroke.

Big.Dude.666

Jul 17, 2009
CA
With the jackshift do u have to pull the clutch when you shift or just let the throttle go then shift also shifting down as well I planning on getting a jack shaft kit if I decide not to go for a 4 stroke.
i think i read some where on here they r working on a jackshaft kit for the 4stroke

AnthonyX99

Oct 13, 2009
Winnipeg
thanks for info now I might just wait and get the 4 stroke it does go 60km/h i believe the same as a 2 stroke with a jack shaft

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
The same rules as shifting a regular bicycle. If you shift it under load the dérailleur is not going to like you much. You don't have to pull the clutch except for stops. Just release the throttle to shift.

toker_ace

Oct 15, 2008
alabama
Ok. Everything is working good except when i get down to 4th,3rd,2nd,and 1st my chain slips a tooth. It jumps and snaps. I've replaced the freewheel and new chain. It changes gears fine. It just jumps every 4 or 5 seconds? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Elmo

Sep 3, 2009
Mississippi
Maybe you don't have enough takeup in your derailer to keep tension on your chain. That is where a wide range derailer will help if that is the problem. Can you post a pic of your rear derailer setup?
Elmo

Elmo

Sep 3, 2009
Mississippi
Also check your chain for stiff links. You will have to remove the chain and bend each link for this. Sometimes a stiff link will make your chain skip under load.
Elmo

tyrslider

Sep 26, 2008
RainCity
Good points Elmo. Toker, you stayed w/ seven speeds right? So if the gear spread isn't much different (i.e. freewheel isn't significantly different from original) then your fine. But if your not adjusted properly at the derailer it could do that. I've had maladjusted derailleurs
skip on some gears and not on others.

Ghost0

Mar 7, 2008
Bellingham, WA
Yes, stiff links can cause this skipping sensation but also a derailleur that is not adjusted will also cause this. Another thing to check is that the 2 chains aren't touching when in the taller gears. This will also cause the skipping sensation. I would suggest taking about 4 links out of your bike chain which increases the tension on the chain and reduce chain wobble that may be causing the chains to touch. You can also space the chainrings farther apart with washers. If your chain from jackshaft to chainring is too loose this will also cause the chains to touch.

toker_ace

Oct 15, 2008
alabama
Got it working perfect!!!!!!!!! I think my chain was too tight and my drop down on my derailler was bent in towards the wheel a little.Also, changed my rapid fire shifter to a twist grip. Jim you were right ....shift two gears at a time. Perfect! I thought that my SBP's exhaust chamber was the best upgrade until the jackshaft.Its so much fun! I really think that a real high end 3 speed hub wheel would be the best only because it would be less to keep an eye on as a derailler. For some reason i just now am learning how to adjust a derailler. So, the final opinion on my jackshaft is "IT'S AWSOME"! If only I could get a jackshaft on my chopper. Its still a boring one speed. There's you a project Jim.

Elmo

Sep 3, 2009
Mississippi
Glad you got it going. You can convert the one speed to gears it just alot of parts and a little brazing. There are adapters to run 3 piece cranks on your bike. Have fun.
Elmo