Kiw
trikes will carry 10x or more weight then any bicycle
there are trikes made for 500# riders
so a 100# drivetrain is nothing for a trike to haul

my recumbent trike is built to haul 300# of cargo plus me

Kiwegapawa

May 2, 2011
Village of Cooper's Cave
Exactly, seen the prebuilt 3 wheel conversion rated at 350#. In that I already own the largest Trek Bicycle Trailer Built. Actually they stopped selling it. Wish they hadn't, cause the years on it, can't get any new covers for it. Looking like an uncovered 2 wheel wagon. Plus that of a possibilty in a 2nd ryder on this build. Don't know that there are any Ladies out there who like mingling with the spirits of the wild like I do. But, hey, ya never know! And I'm known to pack it in,
. As you would not be surprized to see a kitchen sink sticking out the back of my bike trailer, LoL! I do have much elite camping equipment. The wieght can add up fast. At it's heaviest is during hunting season. I don't just go out for the day, I have a 4 season 10 by 20. King size air mattress. Portable Shower. The list is quite long. Up till now I have been doing it with my Trek 4300, 24 speed. That's all in what I hoping to accomplish with this build.

That melted rim occurred without a motor on a downhill run that I was pushing the momentum. Not that I wish to build it to go that fast, cause I'm looking towards those less than 1 to 1 gears for the power. Maybe couple up the other way too. But those lower gears are the priority here and why I grabbed the 6.5hp. Say like a trip back from Mass. back up and over the Mohawk Trail. It's comparable to the local Spruce mountain road. Only it's around 8 miles to the top on a winedie 12/12 pitch. There are a lot of roads up here like that. I see the Industrials, but I want function and style. We'll see how it goes?
.shft.

Last edited:

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Hey Kiwegapawa, I'll have all the info on that gear box by this Friday, all I can tell you for now is that it's 15:1 gear ratio.........stay tuned.

Exactly, seen the prebuilt 3 wheel conversion rated at 350#. In that I already own the largest Trek Bicycle Trailer Built. Actually they stopped selling it. Wish they hadn't, cause the years on it, can't get any new covers for it. Looking like an uncovered 2 wheel wagon. Plus that of a possibilty in a 2nd ryder on this build. Don't know that there are any Ladies out there who like mingling with the spirits of the wild like I do. But, hey, ya never know! And I'm known to pack it in,
. As you would not be surprized to see a kitchen sink sticking out the back of my bike trailer, LoL! I do have much elite camping equipment. The wieght can add up fast. At it's heaviest is during hunting season. I don't just go out for the day, I have a 4 season 10 by 20. King size air mattress. Portable Shower. The list is quite long. Up till now I have been doing it with my Trek 4300, 24 speed. That's all in what I hoping to accomplish with this build.

That melted rim occurred without a motor on a downhill run that I was pushing the momentum. Not that I wish to build it to go that fast, cause I'm looking towards those less than 1 to 1 gears for the power. Maybe couple up the other way too. But those lower gears are the priority here and why I grabbed the 6.5hp. Say like a trip back from Mass. back up and over the Mohawk Trail. It's comparable to the local Spruce mountain road. Only it's around 8 miles to the top on a winedie 12/12 pitch. There are a lot of roads up here like that. I see the Industrials, but I want function and style. We'll see how it goes?
.shft.

Kiwegapawa

May 2, 2011
Village of Cooper's Cave
Thank you kindly Scotto. As we all know when stepping into the new territory - That of a use previous to our own, is most valuable information. 15 : 1 Wow
So glad I asked if you could. Your neighbor being a machinist, no doubt has very valid reasoning for why. Definitely glad I held in a holding pattern for his input. But like I said before, I'm taking a slow pace with lots of fore-thought...

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Thank you kindly Scotto. As we all know when stepping into the new territory - That of a use previous to our own, is most valuable information. 15 : 1 Wow
So glad I asked if you could. Your neighbor being a machinist, no doubt has very valid reasoning for why. Definitely glad I held in a holding pattern for his input. But like I said before, I'm taking a slow pace with lots of fore-thought...
Yeah, I didn't want you to think I had forgotten about your interest in this gearbox.........I just ran into Rick for a brief moment today and will see him this Thurs on a longer visit......hang tight.......

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Alrighty then, here what the gearbox is: it is a speed reducer made by Winsmith of New York.

Some specs:
MODEL - 2CT
IN RPM - 1800
IN H.P. - .89
OUT Torque - 357
RATIO - 15:1

Not sure what these specs are for but the unit is very robust and filled
with 90w gear oil. It's got Timkin tapered bearings and Rick installed brand new oil seals. He is gonna sell it if anyone is interested, he's decided to go electric drive on that trike and no longer needs this box. PM me if anyone is interested.

dnut

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
So I gather he has no more info on the use? Well, thank you for trying and I appreciate your time.
.shft.
He said that it worked very well for that application but was a little too much on a trike with the 160cc Honda engine. He's not really one for going over 35mph on a trike as he is retired and enjoys the dual electrics that cruise at 12mph......he likes riding on the boardwalk.

On a side note, man you should see his red Dyno "Deuce" beach cruiser with a set of springers he made like the trikes......and the white beach cruiser he modeled after the Dyno w/same springers and built from the ground up. Absolutely amazing craftsmanship......blow yer socks off! I'll take some pics and post later.....he's thinking of selling the white Dyno clone......I've got first dibs ;)

dnut

Kiwegapawa

May 2, 2011
Village of Cooper's Cave
Dynomite, just what I was hoping to hear in the use. Kinda figured single speed drive, mostly due to the size. But some what like him, I'm also in need of those lower gears, but mine for power. This as to the reverse thought of just a slow speed. Plus since recently finding a few more manufactures and these creating multiple speeds in either manual or automatic shifting. LoL, course I still got the point of sticker shock coming on what the final design will be. Maybe a couple gears where in the highest is 28 to 30 miles an hour max. I'm use to gaining faster with my Trek 4300, but that's strickly manpowered peddle work. And with a motorized bicycle, I don't wanna push my luck with the Law. I'm gonna stick to what the State Trooper told me.

Can't wait to see the photo's you'll have coming. Rick is definitely an artist! And again, Thank you very much for you time Scotto.

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
No prob. Another point of interest perhaps is that unit had a manufacturing date of 1964 I believe. The only thing he did to it was replace two leaking seals, the gear oil and installed a pressure relief valve on it. He bought it off eBay for $100 and I think new they are well over $600. It is also heavy as one might assume, prolly 10-15lbs.

Can't wait to see your build.......keep us posted!

scotto-

Kiwegapawa

May 2, 2011
Village of Cooper's Cave
Dang, that's alot of money to invest and after a few runs to toss it. Pretty much why I'm doing it the way I am. It'll be a build my grandkids will eventual inherit. Slow rode, all down on paper in attempting to address any obvious problems, hopefully to detect any hidden problems.

I was talking to TigMaster about this Gearbox in another thread, ( More 4-stroke talk ... ). We both believe that Rick's Gearbox was originally built for an electric motor. The give away on this, for me, was the use of 90wt Oil. That's common use in mills.

On my build, I certainly will. I pulled out Corel and worked up a photo'ed idea of what the final outcome of my build will be. But I only have one problem in not being able to find one product I'll need. Do you know where I can buy Asbestos Underwear?

Of-Course,
Just Kidding.

.shft.

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
On my build, I certainly will. I pulled out Corel and worked up a photo'ed idea of what the final outcome of my build will be. But I only have one problem in not being able to find one product I'll need. Do you know where I can buy Asbestos Underwear?

Of-Course, Just Kidding.
Lol......I'm having some custom kevlar undies made for when I'm riding my flame thrower.

On a side note, here is a pic of one of Rick's other creations and the Dyno he modeled it from....

[/URL

And a pic of the trike converted to 2-seater pedal version.....it is a very vesatile trike........

[URL=http://img854.imageshack.us/i/img1291h.jpg/]

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Scotto,
Thanks for sharing this... so many nice ideas.

Kiwegapawa,
I was surprised to see my name mentioned and thank you for your kind words. Good luck with your build!
SB

panardo

Mar 5, 2012
tahoe city
Hey Kiwegapawa,
Do you know where i can find one of those worm drives to adapt in between a 4stroke honda160 vertical shaft and the sprocket of my trike? do i need to set up a clutch there too?
thank you Fellow!!!

Kiwegapawa

May 2, 2011
Village of Cooper's Cave
Hi Panardo, I hadn't dug in any father since I'd last spoken of it. Like I had said to Scotto, I'm going to be back peddling on it till I have the entire frame work here. Just now I'm on a waiting list for a custom built Springer Fork from Chopper US. Also within all this, I have held off on posting my build till I am actually building. Hence, what I've been speaking of here is pretty much scatterd thoughout our forum here.

I bring your attention to another thread, where I am speaking of the worm drives with TigMaster @ Re: more 4 stroke talk.... Where I show what I found and how I found it.
If you go through DocStoc.asterpix.com a google industry search engine. You will find all the different patients for those points in manufactures creating these transmissions. Listed off the top are those building for Kawasaki, plus many more. This which lead me to the specifics in Grainger.com who has Forward - Reverse and Neutral. I did finally find that which leads up as far a 7 gears. And in Automatic if that is what you wish. One carrying as many as three clutches in one. Many of what I have found are indeed building to suite.
I hope this helps you out in your use of a vertical crankshaft! I also should bring to your attention to Scotto's comment in this thread of the cost of the simplistic worm drive Rick used in his Bicycle truck build and how much it cost brand new. $600.00.

I just call them like I see the Silverbear.
Dang, speakin about what I see, there's my,
my, my new Motor BicycleSeat Cover,
wHAT, WhEREs mY gUN?

.shft.

Last edited: