how to tie spokes

GoldenMotor.com

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Zip tying the spokes improves the column strength of each spoke. That improves wheel stiffness.

It's very easy, CHEAP, and you will feel a difference.

calvynandhobbs

Aug 28, 2008
Ledyard, CT
It looks like truing up a wheel is something I'm going to have to learn. I was riding home from work yesterday when I noticed the back end was wobbly. I looked down and could see my rear wheel is wobbling now for the 2nd time in only 3 months of riding. I can't afford to keep bringing it to the bike shop.

mekano

Nov 4, 2008
Stockholm, Sweden
THANK YOU MISTER for the answer!
Now I can go tie my friggin spokes! Lol... Have waited for some response since yesterday... :)
Anyway... I loosend all the bolts on the sprocket while painting it black so I guess it's gonna be the "beforeish" version then since it not tightened yet...
Thanks again.

mekano

Nov 4, 2008
Stockholm, Sweden
And now I'm all tied up!
I did a lighter version with only 7 loops of metal wire and no welding. I did this becuse it seem even zip ties are good enough.
Attached a pic. Thanks guys!

Attachments

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Looks good mekano, I have no ideal if zip ties really help. I was having trouble with broken spokes for a little while and BikeGuyJoe suggested I should give it a try.

Since I started zip tieing my spokes I have had no problems whats so ever and have not bent a single wheel yet. Before I was bending wheels and breaking spokes every few rides and it was starting to be a pain to keep truing them.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Another tip- loosen all the spokes a little on the motor driven side. Mount up the sprocket, and re-tighten. You can avoid dish issues and broken drive side spokes this way.