Morini unknown?

GoldenMotor.com

triride

Jun 28, 2013
U.K.
Hi all,

I have been thinking about fitting a Morini engine for a while now and have finally bought a donor bike- Aprillia RX 50 Experience.(not sure of year)
Does anyone know what version of Morini engines these bikes have fitted?
I am also open to any tips for my first Morini build! :)

Cheers, guys.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
Aprilia 50s as sold in Europe usually have engines from Minarelli. There are common parts with some Derbi and Yamaha models as well.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
Yup, AM6 Minarelli. Decent go in standard nick, capable, if you throw money at them, of delivering close to 20hp at the back wheel. 100+ mph in Dutch moped racing at Croix.

triride

Jun 28, 2013
U.K.
Hi guys,
Having problems trying to upload pics at the moment.(my son will be home from school shortly to give me a hand :) )
I have taken some information off the engine to see if it means anything?
On engine casing - FM2912*00492
On gearbox casing - FM15 - 7340
Carb - 18mm Dellorto PHBG

Cheers, Pete.

p.s.Love the Youtube vid Ludwig!

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
The numbers mean nothing at all to me. What are you going to put the engine in? Even restricted, it's probably more powerful than most bicycles will stand and, derestricted, standard they are good for 60.

dtv5403

May 4, 2015
USA
The top speed depends on final gearing and wheel size, you can reduce the top speed considerably with a 24" wheel as opposed to a 26", and you can also reduce the top speed with a larger rear sprocket. Please remember when using a MorinI engine, you're ready not building a standard motorized bicycle, you're basically building a mini motorcycle. You will need some motorcycle parts, such as very strong brakes (cable operated disc at the least, hydraulic if you have the tools and skills to install), and I would also look into getting the strongest wheels you can, or building your own.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
I promise you, if he's got an unrestricted AM6 engine there, it'll take more than gearing to deal with it.

Further: if it's been tuned with Doppler and Polini bits, it will wrap the cycle around itself.

dtv5403

May 4, 2015
USA
Gearing reduction will put less torque on the rear wheel, because the engine won't need to produce as much torque to get the bike moving.

dmb

Dec 4, 2010
lakewood ca
a good steel frame, no walmart kmart china junk, no cheep spoke sprockets 12ga or better spokes. med insurance oh and aflac if you don't live with your parents [uh baird]. even the best parts can bite you in your azz. now go do a couple of sumersalts on some asphalt to simulate a easy crash. do i sound like a idiot? or a fortune teller? serious business high speed on a motorised bicycle but fun as heill