s5n cdi ?

GoldenMotor.com

boocher13

Aug 13, 2013
manchester,ct
I finally got my eBay s5n all cleaned up and ready to go. I spent about 20 minutes trying to get her started, only managed to idle once for about 5 seconds. In my elimination process I noticed its putting out a rather weak spark. Did these use an external cdi unit I'm missing? What would cause such weak spark? Surely not the plug itself?

dmb

Dec 4, 2010
lakewood ca
sand the rotor magnet and bottom of the coil, make sure the plug wire end is clean, i cut 1/8'' off the wire to get a clean wire to the cap and a new plug. set the coil as close to the rotor as you can. now if you dont think you have a good spark... grab the wire and see.. it wont kill you but it will answer your question. only the s-5gs had a cdi.

boocher13

Aug 13, 2013
manchester,ct
Thanks for the tips. I'll try those things later today. I actually got it to start and run today. It idled smoothly but ran rough when I gave it some throttle. I have a carb rebuild kit coming. Even after running about 5 min it wouldn't run without being choked. I had no exhaust hooked to it which I'm sure has some effect. This engine was filthy, caked in dry mud and I drained at least 12 oz of water out of it bbefore I tore it down so I'm happy with the results so far.