DeNardis owners?

GoldenMotor.com

blckwlfny1

Jul 14, 2010
new york
I wasn't sure where to post this
its a Morini clone so I figured maybe here....
im pretty sure ive got a head gasket leak (top fin of motor is misted with oil and I have slightly less power until engine gets HOT
i had the head and the jug off at one point. I tried order a new head and base gasket
,,,,it took 3 weeks for the new base gaxket
....they had no head gaskets and i was told to re-use the one i had. so i sprayed it with copper gasket sealer (the thin stuff not the silicone) cross tightened to 12 ft/lbs and away i go....
now this...
should i re-tighten?
should i make it a little tighter? (head bolts go into the steel jug not the aluminum)
...help??...

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
Try Martin & Slater, they have a gasket kit for the clone for $20, you could try making your own gasket too. I made my own from ductile aluminum because I wasn't happy with the design of the original, it is too wimpy in the side direction, after the engine is broken in and can burn massive amounts of fuel. I'm amazed at how much power these can make by simply throwing more fuel at them once they're broken in with a good plug. You should also lap your cylinder head on a piece of glass or other perfectly flat surface with some lapping compound or valve grinding compound or super fine sandpaper.

I retorque my head bolts after it cools down for the first couple rides after putting the head on.

Last edited:

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
The KTM Head gaskets won't work on the clone engine, different bolt pattern. The head is proprietary to their cast iron jug.

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
At least on the ones from Martin & Slater, they use a head that has the bolt pattern rotated 45 degrees and closer to the combustion chamber than a morini or KTM genuine jug and head. The gasket surface on the clone is smaller than the others as well, I chose to make my own gasket to maximize the gasketed surface because the stock one doesn't even use the whole flat surface and I had issues with mine sealing even with a lapped head.

From what I've seen you have to swap the whole KTM top end onto the Martin and Slater bottom end if you want to use the head, because of the separate head and jug studs and the rotated pattern in relation to the KTM/Morini because of the different jug and head that don't mix, at least thats what I've found.

Post up a link for the parts you're talking about because it would be useful Headtrama

Last edited:

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay

Unless they only used this head for one year on KTM this is the aftermarket head and uses a different gasket than the heads with a regular bolt pattern perpendicular with the case.

Provide links Headtrama, it would be useful for everyone running one of these.

headtrama

Jul 8, 2010
california
The motors are the same from 03-08 that head should fit a Ktm or clone. The earlier Ktm motors were morini s and the Ktm parts won't fit.

dmb

Dec 4, 2010
lakewood ca
andy, trying to stay one step ahead of the grim reaper... i think i lost him for now, feeling better now. still scares me when the weiner dogs bark thou. dennis