EZR's 2nd full suspension Project

GoldenMotor.com

UncleKudzu

May 26, 2008
Deep in the American South
it would be nice to have permanent mounts, as opposed to the bolt-on kind. a dedicated frame for your particular engine - that's slick. thanks for sharing the behind-the-scene shots with us.

i was admiring Dean's genius on my bolt-on mounts today. clever the way he made them and the craftsmanship is impressive.

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
You're welcome Uncle. It's fun sharing the progress with everyone here on the forum.
Today was a slow day, Dean was pretty busy so we only got a chance to align the chain and it's pretty dead on.

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
Here's a closer look at the progressive rear suspension. At every pivot point Dean installed a needle bearing.

Tommarrow we work on the front suspension. and pipe.

Hitekrdnk

May 23, 2008
Looking good EZR. Ran in to an old friend from SC at the show in Vegas and he said he has been seeing alot of activity around there in regards to MAB's. I am going to link him up to this so he'll know who to watch out for down there:crash:

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
Yesterday we finished the front end of the bike. She's coming along pretty well.

Last edited:

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
Dean started the rear brakes today. He made the hub for the disc. It will be on the pedaling chain side. Reason being is we did want the motor driven chain lube getting on the caliper.

Last edited:

Andyinchville1

Manufacturer/Dealer
Dec 26, 2007
Scottsville, VA
HI Easy,

That is definitely some nice work!.....Only thing I wonder a little about tho is the stiffness/strength in the in the bottom bracket area....Is it strong enough to withstand a strong rider stomping it up a steep hill? (On the flip side it is engine powered so the pedals may only serve as a foot rest and means of starting the engine..plus maintain legality in most areas)....

Since it was built from scratch, is the pivot point of the suspension close enough to the engine sprocket to eliminate the need for a chain tensioner?

Can't wait to see more!....I LOVE this thread!

Andrew

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
Hi Andrew & Uncle, Glad you guys like the progress. The rear suspension is the same as a dirt bikes rear swing arm. It's made of Chrome Moly so it definitely strong and also each piviot point has a needle bearing.
Everything will be functional even the pedals. It will need a small chain tensioner for the drive chain. The chain has just a little slack but we want to make sure it won't be any diven train problems. It's still a proto-type so there will always have room for improvements. Of course, the test driving part will be the fun part and we will be taking it through some rough terrian.

Andyinchville1

Manufacturer/Dealer
Dec 26, 2007
Scottsville, VA
Hi Easy,

I just noticed something, you have the disc brake on the right hand side on the rear wheel, are you planning on ultimately running a caliper brake of some sort or is it Top Hat Time? ;-0

Andrew

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
Today Dean made all the parts for the disc caliper. We used the King's top hat adapter on the drive train side (Hard to see). Dean used an old go kart hub (that he turned down on the lathe) for the rotor. I need to leave my darn camera in my car so I can take better pictures. lol

luke duke

Aug 6, 2008
I agree about getting lube on the disc rotor, can be a pain!. Nice ride!. Im looking at going full suspension on my next build!!

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
I still can't believe that Morini has those little 50cc motors putting out so much power.
Dean ported the 5.8hp Morini on the Iron Horse last week and I couldn't believe the huge gain in HP! I would say there was around a 30-40% increase. Looks like my Morini is going to get dremel surgery real soon!

Andyinchville1

Manufacturer/Dealer
Dec 26, 2007
Scottsville, VA
Hi,

You are right, the Morini has pretty impressive output for it's size BUT relatively speaking it is still relatively low output when compared to some
RC glow engines (some engines displacing only 3.44 CC are putting out close to 2.5 HP!....Some in more performance rated forms get even more power!)....

Hmmmm so scaling up....50 CC should yield about 34 HP...HA! ;-O

Andrew

dublergofast

Jul 30, 2008
Hey, how do you go about getting one of those Italian motors? Mollini? whats the top speed on your mountain bike? does this have a transmission?

Thanks