Ok, had dremel and we'll see how much damage I did.

GoldenMotor.com

Motoschwinn

Jun 27, 2008
Independence MO
Last night I decided to match the ports on my bike. I sat down, and carefully opened up the poo poo pipes flange to match the exhaust on the cylinder. Looks really good ok, then I glued the new exhaust gasket and after it dried, i reamed it out too with the dremel.

I did the same as much as possible with the intake. So this afternoon, the first test drive. I'll let you know if it was worth it.

Motoschwinn

Jun 27, 2008
Independence MO
Ok, well it seems to have a bit more power on the hills, but now it's running to rich as I can smell fuel. Runs a bit better choked up. So my thinking is I need to adjust the carb clip again?

Andyinchville1

Manufacturer/Dealer
Dec 26, 2007
Scottsville, VA
Hmmmm...If the engine is running better with the choke up....that means it is running too lean (rather than rich).....be careful not to fry the engine by running it too hard in a lean condition....

Good luck

Andrew

PS - Have to lower the clip (raises the needle) to richen it up...

Motoschwinn

Jun 27, 2008
Independence MO
Hmmmm...If the engine is running better with the choke up....that means it is running too lean (rather than rich).....be careful not to fry the engine by running it too hard in a lean condition....

Good luck

Andrew

PS - Have to lower the clip (raises the needle) to richen it up...
Well it's confusing. It's much cooler today than when I was running the bike before I did the dremeling... It's been a hot humid summer, and it was running better before. So the settings were for the hot weather. Also noticed fuel all over the carb. This is weird.

Motoschwinn

Jun 27, 2008
Independence MO
Ok... update. Pulled the cable and sleeve out of the carb and it was on the lowest notch. So I put it on the second from the top. Seemed to run much better with the choke on just a touch. I'll move it to the second lowest notch and see what happens. I do run a bit heavy on the oil side. I guess opening these ports, opened a can of worms too. However, it does really pull on the hills. I've noticed since doing this work, and replacing the gaskets it doesn't seem to have the crackle as much.

Any opinions at this point are very welcomed!

Jemma Hawtrey

Dec 29, 2007
Essex, UK
Ok... update. Pulled the cable and sleeve out of the carb and it was on the lowest notch. So I put it on the second from the top. Seemed to run much better with the choke on just a touch. I'll move it to the second lowest notch and see what happens. I do run a bit heavy on the oil side. I guess opening these ports, opened a can of worms too. However, it does really pull on the hills. I've noticed since doing this work, and replacing the gaskets it doesn't seem to have the crackle as much.

Any opinions at this point are very welcomed!
The more the ports are matched and blueprinted - the more they are free flowing... if you dont have a tuned pipe on there then the more fuel/oil per stroke is escaping.. hence the richer you have to run the motor.. but the more power you will get because the scavenging in the engine is better.

If I am right - the crackle might have been whats called 'four-stroking' but not having heard it in the wild I am not sure..

Jemma xx

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Hold on...you can't chase down a problem, you have to diagnose it.

What color is your plug, regardless of "C" clip settings? Black- too rich. tan/brown- good. Grey or white+ death to the engine.

Leave the pipe on and get the mix right. You'll be happy when it's all sorted.

Motoschwinn

Jun 27, 2008
Independence MO
Hold on...you can't chase down a problem, you have to diagnose it.

What color is your plug, regardless of "C" clip settings? Black- too rich. tan/brown- good. Grey or white+ death to the engine.

Leave the pipe on and get the mix right. You'll be happy when it's all sorted.
Ok, the plug is brown to dark brown. Only runs right with the choke is just slighty on. I pulled the aircleaner off, and visually I would say the choke is about 15% on.

Jemma Hawtrey

Dec 29, 2007
Essex, UK
Ok, the plug is brown to dark brown. Only runs right with the choke is just slighty on. I pulled the aircleaner off, and visually I would say the choke is about 15% on.
It looks like you need to richen the mixture - because that is what the choke is doing.

It used to be that alot of the old racers used to feather the choke control to gain just a little more power from their motorcycles.

Try raising the clip on the carb a notch if you can and see what it does then..

Cleaning off the plug with a wire brush will give you a better clue of what its doing per run..

Jemma xx

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
You actually need to lower the clip a notch to richen it up. Lowering the clip raises the needle, which allows more fuel.

Motoschwinn

Jun 27, 2008
Independence MO
At 3100 miles, maybe the thing is getting tired? How's the compression?
Oh this motor is anything but tired. Before I did the porting thing and the exhaust it ran like a raped ape... And I mean the day before.

Ok, so let me get this right, I need to lower the clip... Maybe all the way down and work it upwards? The plug was dark brown suggesting to me, it was getting near being rich?

Motoschwinn

Jun 27, 2008
Independence MO
Drill the jet... CAREFULLY!
Oh screw that. I'll just get it running as good as I can, and if the choke has to be 1/4 of the way on so be it. Thanks for all the help, but I'm done messing with this.

It's just for putting around the block every other weekend for 15 or 20 minutes, it's not a commuter....

Last edited by a moderator: