Morini reliability?

GoldenMotor.com

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA
Hi guys, first off, I wanna say I LOVE 2 STROKE ENGINES. That being said, I only want the best, I don't want a speed demon, just the best cruiser money can buy. I am currently quite set on getting a morini 3.2, as I said, I want reliability, not speed, but I don't really know how reliable they are, I just assumed they are reliable. I would be riding it like it was my baby, and I would be giving it the BEST care and maintenance it can get. That being said, are morinis a good choice for RELIABILITY? Thanks!
-LS

P.S.-My definition of reliability would be needing to be tuned for fun, instead of something breaking on every ride like the chinagirl I had. Waiting weeks for new parts between every ride is not reliable in my book. :D

spad4me

Jan 20, 2008
Arizona Bullhead
Last edited:

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA
Thanks, but I also want to know the opinion of the Morini riders. The 3.2 hp is lower compression and less of a "racing" engine than the others. How often do your engines break down as compared to chinagirls guys? Also spad4me, the GEBE systems and the axle mount systems cost about the same or even more than the motorized wheel hub that you were referring to that is 28cc and 1.1hp

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
Hard to touch the reliability of a GXH50/HS142F. Iron sleeved and they're almost bulletproof as long as you don't overrev them for extended periods.

As for gearbox, Q-matic and 4G are pretty reliable from what I've seen. My brother has Q-matic and the only thing he's had to do in ~1200 miles is change belt segments. I haven't had to do anything to my 4G yet (aside from welding clutch drum), almost 400 miles so far.

Last edited:

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
I beat my 5.8 motor relentlessly I tried to break it. Testing my last custom build I was constantly taking everything to the limit. ''its a sickness lol'';) I was especially extremely hard on the motor. To me it is one of the toughest motors I ever came across. I never took this motor apart except for some clutch tweaking. It still runs perfectly!

I did stick a magnet through the exhaust port the magnet stuck. I think while I have not had one apart yet it is more than nikasil lined.

I am so stoked with this motor I ordered a 9.4 . I will start a thread on it this next weak.
Morini's rule in my book. Born and tested to their death on a race track these are race horse thurl breads. Don't let any one fool into the idea they cannot be made to cruise ether.

Edit for days gone past and over 2000 miles now. My 9.4 is way better and happier than the 5.8. I think the better breathing 4 petal reed set in it and bigger carb perhaps is a over all even better design. Mine will simply cruise and get up to haul very fast.

Last edited:

robin

Nov 15, 2008
Penticton British Columbia Canada
My Morini is super fast and lots of fun. They have a more tuned sound than China girl and are at least ten times more reliable. They also have a build in reduction gearing so you dont need something like a qmatic or 4 g gearbox. They also are lightweight

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Their kick start trumps any pull cord start in my book too. I have never heard of any one having a issue. I never did. One of those things that absolutely never crosses my mind. lol.;)

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA
Thanks again for all the replies, don't hate me for this but I think I have a relationship with chinagirls the way some girls have a relationship with a loser boyfriend. They aren't the best, but something always makes me go back to them rotfl. For now I'm keeping my 66cc ht, but someday, who knows :)

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Thanks again for all the replies, don't hate me for this but I think I have a relationship with chinagirls the way some girls have a relationship with a loser boyfriend. They aren't the best, but something always makes me go back to them rotfl. For now I'm keeping my 66cc ht, but someday, who knows
I am familiar with the China girl. It can be very reliable when done right. There may be some sorta abuse hot line you can call dunno. :plafflaff

I will take the Morini I kinda like the fast women;)

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA
Lol, yeah, if it makes any sense, the morini is almost TOO perfect. What am I gonna do all summer if I just ride around and don't have any major overhauling or fixing to do? Plus parts are super cheap on the chinas :D

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
I love my Morini, but the cops dont even though its a smaller engine then 99% of the China girls that run around town here.

The only problem I have had with mine is my clutch gave out on me. And I dont know anything about the 3hp one. Another thing to consider if you have problems its a lot more costly for parts for the morini.

Tad Bit Tipsy

Jan 2, 2010
Pensacola,FL
You can take any race engine and treat it like you would a reliable one. The morini is built for offroad abuse and racing abuse. The performance will always be there with a quick snap of the wrist. The CC is the only problem, they tend to be high RPM shifting, adjusting may fix this problem, or replacing the springs. I have to say the 3HP Morini is quite more attractive compared to any four stroker for a reliable engine. It can take ten times more abuse than the Honda/Hua Sheng. But alas they are expensive when it comes to replacement parts, but I consider the trade up in reliability and quality of parts to be an advantage.

robin

Nov 15, 2008
Penticton British Columbia Canada
I love my Morini, but the cops dont even though its a smaller engine then 99% of the China girls that run around town here.

The only problem I have had with mine is my clutch gave out on me. And I dont know anything about the 3hp one. Another thing to consider if you have problems its a lot more costly for parts for the morini.
On the SCSW bike will the 9.4 bolt right on --or will you have to get a carberetor adapter manifold ??

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
That is correct plus the ignition is different. Dean makes the manifold and adapter plate for the ignition. It has a cdi and a coil.
I rode Dean's bike the other day. I thought my bike was fast...then I rode his. It was surprisingly a lot quicker. It hit top speed in about 4 seconds. Dean's working on a really cool blue bike with all the goodies. If I have time, I'll stop by the shop on Monday and take a picture of the set-up. The owner of that bike is going to love it. brnot

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Not all are water cooled. There are several models and power ratings available.
The lower end motors are air cooled.