"speed" carb problem

GoldenMotor.com

mark880088

Feb 22, 2010
Springfield Illinois
I just bolted on manic's billet intake, SBP heavy duty air filter, and the "speed" carb. It' much faster,but I'm having problems with it bogging when i give it gas. If i roll on the throttle real slow it comes out of it. I moved the clip more lean, and that helped, but didn't fix it. The billet intake is straight so the carb sets at more of an angle. Float problem? To much-little gas? Any ideas would be very much appreciated.

matt167

May 20, 2009
usa
carb should be as flat as possible.. a little tilt is 'ok' but flat is perfect.. it's probably related to the tilted carb

matt167

May 20, 2009
usa
you can lower the float level to help it... the CE intake is designed to be used when the engine is able to be mounted completly horizontal.. try remounting the engine horizontal.. if you cant, you may never get it perfect

mark880088

Feb 22, 2010
Springfield Illinois
you can lower the float level to help it... the CE intake is designed to be used when the engine is able to be mounted completly horizontal.. try remounting the engine horizontal.. if you cant, you may never get it perfect
Ok, so I put the stock intake and air filter back on, and it still has the same problem, so its not the angle of the carb. It ran fine with the old carb, so it has to be the new "speed" carb that is causing the problem. Any ideas? Gota get it figured out I gained 9mph!

stuartracing

Dec 9, 2008
Gainesville FL.
So I just went out and looked at my bike and the angle of my motor and mine has a pretty good slant, up in the back so the carb. is not level by any means.....Hmmmmmm....I guess you`ve checked for any air leaks???I am running a o ring in my NT carb.Scratchin my mellon trying to figure out your prob.....

stuartracing

Dec 9, 2008
Gainesville FL.
I get the bike running and to where it will idle good (a little high is good), and just go around the intake area`s and just little squirt`s all around to see if the motor changes or stalls out.at all......I just put a level on my carb. and the bubble is no where near center....Even squirt carb. cleaner where the case halves meet to see if there is a vac. leak there too.....
Keep us posted.....

mark880088

Feb 22, 2010
Springfield Illinois
Will do as soon as my honey do list is done. Women just don't understand the importance of a 40mph gas bike lol. I just wanted to make a quick post to say thanks for all the help! This forum rocks!!!

mark880088

Feb 22, 2010
Springfield Illinois
Ok, first off let me say thanks for all the help! Sorry it's been a few days since I've posted, but I got it fixed! I took It off the old bike and put it on the new one lol. I figured if I'm going to put the time and trouble in to it, I might as well do it to the new bike. So, I took the back tire off the old bike and put it on the new bike (still waiting on the hub adapter from manic), and switched over the intake, carb, and air filter. The problem was an air leak. So, I put a good quality bolt on it and torqued it down. Problem fixed! It was one of the only bolts I didn't replace. To anyone reading this I highly recommend replacing ALL bolts and studs on these kits, it'll cost a few bucks, but is definitely worth it. I'm breaking in the new bike and it's running great! Thanks again for all the help!

stuartracing

Dec 9, 2008
Gainesville FL.
Cool....I replace EVERY bolt on the engine case with high grade allen head bolts....Lock washer, lock tight or nylock all bolts as needed....Silicone what warrants needing it(intake)....Check the crank seals.....
So what was it, intake gasket????

Last edited:

mark880088

Feb 22, 2010
Springfield Illinois
Cool....I replace EVERY bolt on the engine case with high grade allen head bolts....Lock washer, lock tight or nylock all bolts as needed....Silicone what warrants needing it(intake)....Check the crank seals.....
So what was it, intake gasket????
No, it was leaking where the carb slips over the intake. I could not get it tight enough with the stock bolt. I use the black allen heads too, they look so cool on my silver motor. Where exactly do you use silicone, and by silicone are you talking about RTV?

stuartracing

Dec 9, 2008
Gainesville FL.
Good looking setup dude....I throw away the stock carb. clamp and get a hose clamp that fits it and tighten it down good.....A lot better than the stock clamp...And I use RTV on the intake gasket JUST to make sure it will not leak.....And you can smear some on the intake tube before the carb. goes on as a saftey measure so it won`t leak there either.....
Nice motor.....

mark880088

Feb 22, 2010
Springfield Illinois
Good looking setup dude....I throw away the stock carb. clamp and get a hose clamp that fits it and tighten it down good.....A lot better than the stock clamp...And I use RTV on the intake gasket JUST to make sure it will not leak.....And you can smear some on the intake tube before the carb. goes on as a saftey measure so it won`t leak there either.....
Nice motor.....
Thank you! I tried the hose clamp, but it didn't seem to get tight enough. So, I used the stock clamp and a good allen head bolt, and that did the trick. It's sealed up good, but now I'm thinking about pulling it back apart and putting some RTV on there lol.

stuartracing

Dec 9, 2008
Gainesville FL.
The clamp I use I get a Lowe`s 7/16 to 29/32" #8 clamp, stainless steel......Item #61275, it`s kinda wide and it tightens up pretty dang tight to me(I use a socket).....I also have an o-ring in my carb and I do use the rtv to seal when I know I`m not gonna be taking it off anytime soon.....Ya don`t need much....
Glad ya got her going good.....