V brakes/ better calipers for cruisers?

GoldenMotor.com

bluenosegoat

Dec 29, 2009
arizona
I have an old murray with caliper style brakes that dont work near as well as I would like. I've tried different pads but still the braking power is very weak. I plan on putting on a springer front end and see that spooky sells one with v brake bosses but the cost is insane to me! 70 bucks when i can get the same fork for 30 with out the two little brake mounts. I do have a welder but I am concerned about ruining the chrome finish welding my own bosses on for v brakes. Is there a big difference in the braking power with say an alluminum alloy caliper compared to the old steel originals? I love the V brakes on my mountain bike- stop you right now! I also changed wheels thinking that the original steel wheels werent providing a good braking surface but that did not make much difference. I pull my daughter around behind me alot on this bike and I dont feel comfortable with the braking power and links or ideas on a better braking system would be great!

Whizzerd

Nov 20, 2009
Muncie,IN
Hi BN, yeah, 70 bucks kinda steep. Have you considered shopping the Ebay stores for a mtb shock fork w/ v-brake bosses. I just bought a set for $38.00 shipped. Personally, I like the Tektro linear pulls better than the S/A drum. But haven't used them in the rain. Hmmm... why WOULD we ride in the rain anyway?

bluenosegoat

Dec 29, 2009
arizona
Ya I have considered the mountain bike suspension fork ( I have a nice Rocks shox sitting around) but its the style I'm looking for with the springer. Think I will just get one of the cheaper ones and figure it out from there! I can always find a place to chrome plate if I really want it that bad after I weld the bosses on.

tyrslider

Sep 26, 2008
RainCity
$30 to me seems more insane!

Truth be told not all springer forks are the same. Schwinn repros (>$150) come w a bushed pivot and a grease zerk and no crimped crap, The ones used on Felt and Raliegh are of a thicker gage steel than any of those $30 forks. Don't know about the ones at Spooky but I think you might want to get more info. Also chrome is very expensive (disposal) if your lucky they'll batch it w/ others but usually you get a better price the more you do. Likely > $70 just to chrome them.

Those $30 forks and Mallwart bikes and all that cheap Chinese stuff have never been confidence inspiring to me. I wouldn't ride them w/o a motor let alone w/ JMO

Cheers, Evan

P.S. There are good caliper brakes that'll give decent performance, it's likely that you have a lot of flex on those Murray calipers!

Last edited:

tyrslider

Sep 26, 2008
RainCity
Do you have a link for that Schwinn fork?

If it's new I think they meant "Schwinn style". Schwinn Phantom Springer is the repro w/ a bushed pin and zerk and I've never seen one for less than $150. I think Pyramid makes it but they also make the thinner gage cheapo's w/ nylon washers and a crimped pivot. I would love to be wrong but I don't think you got a Schwinn springer (girder) fork for $40.

The real thing!

PRE WAR SCHWINN SPRINGER FRONT FORK - eBay (item 360253670132 end time Apr-23-10 16:50:11 PDT)

The real repro!

Schwinn Black Phantom Locking Springer Fork 4 Whizzer - eBay (item 300417664970 end time Apr-21-10 07:09:51 PDT)

Last edited:

bluenosegoat

Dec 29, 2009
arizona
thanks so much for the link to the adapter! exactly what I need! got the springer on and yes its a schwinn knock off but still looks way cool now with the adapter I'll have confidence in stopping, just have to figure out how to mount it to the springer since it travels so cant use the hole in the bottom of the down tube. Hmmmm maybe just a rear brake with the adapter?

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
Thats possible a rear brake should be just as good and the adapter should bolt right up.

Heres a pic of what i ordered, i just wanted a caliper brake for my front.
I got the caliper,a brake lever,a cable and a it can go on the front or rear fork, all for $10 plus shipping.

Attachments

Last edited:

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
I am using an aluminum caliper brake with a V brake lever. I got it for about $6 with the lever and a cable from Niagaracycle.com Niagara Cycle Works NY USA.

I weigh 140lb, and the bike weighs 65lb. I think it is satisfactory, esp with the wide rim 12g spoke wheel I am using now and the $3 kool-stop type v brake pads.

Sanding your rim's braking surface for traction can help a lot too. Use a rough grit. Or mask off the rim and spray the brake tracks with a rough primer, several coats.

Star 1000A, Caliper Brake Set, Rear, Silver

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
What did they do with the schwinn fork, jump off a roof? Looks like junk to me that they are trying to get rich quick off of. Not even rideable junk.

The other one looks very nice, but is just terribly expensive.

I'll look up the Spooky one though. Thanks for the links, all. .crt.

Do you have a link for that Schwinn fork?

If it's new I think they meant "Schwinn style". Schwinn Phantom Springer is the repro w/ a bushed pin and zerk and I've never seen one for less than $150. I think Pyramid makes it but they also make the thinner gage cheapo's w/ nylon washers and a crimped pivot. I would love to be wrong but I don't think you got a Schwinn springer (girder) fork for $40.

The real thing!

PRE WAR SCHWINN SPRINGER FRONT FORK - eBay (item 360253670132 end time Apr-23-10 16:50:11 PDT)

The real repro!

Schwinn Black Phantom Locking Springer Fork 4 Whizzer - eBay (item 300417664970 end time Apr-21-10 07:09:51 PDT)

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
So how is the U brake adapter working out for you?
There is a big difference between a U brake (the scissor action canti brakes, don't use the same mounting location as V brakes) and V brakes. Even cheap plain V brakes are usually powerful if set up right, with good pads.

Nope you can get the adapter for $11.
TEKTRO U1 BMX U BRAKE ADAPTER PLATE BLK at JensonUSA.com

They also have disc brakes for around $50-60

You can also get forks with bosses on them for around $30-40 online

Since i removed my coaster brake wheel on my cruiser and im using side pull caliper brakes i can stop on a a dime at 32mph.

bluenosegoat

Dec 29, 2009
arizona
so I got the u brake adapter and brake set up on the rear and its okay, not what i was hoping for though. I guess I will try roughing up the wheels braking surface to gain some more stoping power but I am just at a loss as to why it doesnt stop better! My mountain bike with simular brakes stops so fast its scary and the cruiser well, now I'm looking into somehow mounting a dissc brake on the front. Does anyone make a caliper mount for the disc system that bolts or welds on?

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
Try some rough grit sand paper on the pads. Sometimes roughening them up will help. If you sand your rims, be sure to do it very evenly and clean off all filings. I've done this before and think it helped a lot. I don't remember what grit paper, but its commonly available at Walmart or Home Depot for a few bucks, with PLENTY left over.

What cables are you using? Try ODYSSEY slic cables. They have low friction and don't compress much! I will use them for all future replacement cables.

bluenosegoat

Dec 29, 2009
arizona
well I tried roughing up the rims brake surface a bit and it did help a little but I am just not satisfied. With or without my trailer in tow the bike simply does not stop fast enough. I am thinking the only option left for me is a disc brake on the front so I'll be looking for a cheap bike for the right parts. If anyone has any ideas or know how on installing a disc on a springer front end I sure would appreciate it!

bluenosegoat

Dec 29, 2009
arizona
Brake problem solved. I welded on bosses for the use of linear (I think thats what they are called)brakes onto the springer front end and the bike now stops like it should. I still use the rear u brake with the adapter even though it doesnt do much. The brakes are hooked up to a dual pull lever and work just like I wanted. I am not the best welder but they are solid and with the silver paint to touch it up looks alright to me but the stopping power is awesome! All of 30 minutes and some spare parts. The disc brake sure would look nice though.............

Attachments

Last edited:

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
Nice job! Do they flex the fork much? (can you see the fork bow outward or the bosses twist a lot when you apply the brake)

Salsa made some horseshoe shaped V-brake Boosters in the 90's that work really well for preventing frame flex (more power to the rim instead of frame).

bluenosegoat

Dec 29, 2009
arizona
The bosses stay put well. They are welded on 3 sides so good and secure and I cant see the fork tubes bend at all surprisingly. I think they are close enough to the main pivot of the springer to keep things in shape. I am very happy with the stopping power now but still stumped as to why side pull and the u brake were so inadequate, I had to put my feet down more than once! Not good! But now she stops on a dime. If I notice any flex though with fork I will weld in a U bracket from an old set of suspension forks I have- might do that anyway to help the rigidity of the springer and put the force to the spring where it belongs but the front end is getting kinda busy looking if you know what i mean.

Last edited: