install with coaster brakes???

GoldenMotor.com

kr632

Apr 13, 2009
buffalo
is there any other way to put a rear sprocket on a bike with coaster brakes with out tearing apart the whole hub. i can fix anything except these brakes

kr632

Apr 13, 2009
buffalo
i asked a guy at the bike shop and he printed out a list of instructions and it showed that the entire hub has to be taken apart to get the arm off because the arm is attached to the axel

i really dont know because i broke every coaster brake i ever had before i could get to the arm

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
Do you have a pic of it?

I see what you're saying...I didn't know that some have the brake arm made onto the axle.

All the ones i've had here had a nut holding the brake arm to the axle.

I'm sure someone else with a hub like yours will be able to help.

Jim

kr632

Apr 13, 2009
buffalo
thank you jim thats what i was thinking. i was almost positive that the nut held it on, but the guy at the bike shop told me otherwise, without looking at my wheel.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
the guy at the bike shop is an idiot, and whoever wrote up that coaster brake how-to, went into waaay too much detail. and the worst part, he never specified what kind of hub he had (at least, i didn't notice it in the first ten pages of his novel.)

not all coaster brakes are the same. looks like his was a shimano, which is actually one of the easiest ones to work on. it's a pain the first time, but keep track of how all the parts came out, and it gets easier everytime.

try rebuilding an old New Departure hub. it's got 20 or so alternating steel and bronze slotted discs that have to be aligned perfectly. that's no fun at all.

and seriously, the guy at the bike shop, err, "store" doesn't know how to take a coaster brake arm off? he's fired.

oh, and like jim said, i've never seen one where the arm didn't just come off by taking a nut off, and i think i've seen just about every coaster brake in existence since 1900.

kr632

Apr 13, 2009
buffalo
would attaching the wheel to the frame(how the guy did it in the link) hel with getting the arm off, i am very limited with tools and i looked somewhere else and it said to put a closed ended wrench on the arm and turn the nut with another wrench. i dont have a closed end wrench, i have a flat head screwdriver, a drill with screwdriver attachments, 2 crescent wrenches and a small socket set, and allen wrenches

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
kr,

you can put the wheel back on...attach the brake arm to the frame clip...snug the axle nut on the pedal side. This may give you enough room to reach in with a cresent wrench, (between the frame and brake arm), and get a good lock on the nut.

I usually slide a piece of pipe over the arm, if the nut is really tight.

You can also use one of your cresent wrenches to clamp the end of the arm the long way. It's a little tricky to hold it like that, but it can be done. Use your other wrench to loosen the nut.

Jim

Last edited:

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
here's an easy way to take the arm off.

take the wheel off, and set in on the ground with the coaster brake arm on top, pointing at the 4 o-clock position.

step on the bottom of the wheel with one foot to hold it.

take your biggest crescent wrench and put it on the outside nut at 6 or 7 oclock.

while holding the wrench, whack the coaster brake arm with a hammer towards the wrench.

don't get all circus strongman on it, just tap it pretty good a few times.

the axle will turn, causing the wrench to loosen the nut.

to put it back on, you don't have to go as tight. just snug up the nut, then put the wrench at 4 o clock and the arm at 8 o clock, and push them together till they're tight.

remember, the outside nut and the square nut that the arms sits on are the cone nuts, and they need to be properly adjusted with the other side so you're wheel spins. that link you have should explain that part better.

kr632

Apr 13, 2009
buffalo
Thank you all for your advice. I have everything set up and ready to go after a hour trying to get the chain to stop hopping off. I bring her outside start her up and get about 100 feet and let off the throttle pull in the clutch and tap the brakes and CLUNK the arm breaks off the frame, the chain tentioner goes into the spokes and the chain gets stuck between the spokes and sprocket. Im just having a run of bad luck and overlooking things because im frustrated and just wanna ride. I fixed her up again,everythings tight. And she rides like a dream until the master link in the chain came off. Another wait.