Morini Troubleshooting

GoldenMotor.com

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
When ever I let off the gas and start to slow down my motor makes a growling/groaning sound. Even after coming to a complete stop it will do it for a few seconds. Sometimes it's so bad I feel it in the seat and handlebars. But it does not do it all the time.

I suspect it is in the clutch but I am not sure. Anybody have any ideals?

Last edited:

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
I am by no means a Morini expert, but that sounds like a bearing going bad or a poor fitting bushing allowing the shaft/part that it supports to oscillate. My first hunch would be clutch related. Again, I am no Morini pro by any stretch of my imagination.

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
I think your motor and clutch are tight and needs to be broken in. Mine took at least 20+ hours of riding or close to 1000 miles before it started smoothing out.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Hmmmmm..... I really do not like what I see in your video. That is a boatload of free play on the clutch drum. I wish I knew what is considered acceptable play for your Morini clutch. Some clutches are happy set up like that, but most all clutches I have worked on...... that much free play means the drum hub bushing/ needle bearing is toast.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Hmmmmm..... I really do not like what I see in your video. That is a boatload of free play on the clutch drum. I wish I knew what is considered acceptable play for your Morini clutch. Some clutches are happy set up like that, but most all clutches I have worked on...... that much free play means the drum hub bushing/ needle bearing is toast.
Yeah I am not sure myself and I suspect thats what I am hearing. Not having any experience with these clutches I am unsure. But I do know I dont like it.

I heard that noise the very first time I rode it, second time nothing. Third time nothing, but did it the fourth time.

Last edited:

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
I'll take my cover off this weekend and check to see if that play in the bell is normal. It also gives me a chance to change my clutch oil.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
I had strange noises as well. It sounded just like the rear tire was rubbing it was not rubbing. I switched to Bell Ray 80w gear clutch oil same as Easy. That helped chatter a ton. The rubbing thing went away for me over time. I suspect the shoes have to brake in and seat a little. I am curious to hear how much end play Easy has? Mine has free play as well.. Probably fine.

Spunout

MB Builder Extraordinaire
Jul 21, 2008
coventry, RI
blog.360.yahoo.com

see? this is the difference between this forum and 'the other'.... here, nobody is verbally spanked for not being Captain Forum Expert.
and also, a guy like myself can go completely off-topic without repercussions. as long as it doesnt become a habit, that is :)

somewhat back on-topic, fair i didnt even realize you had that awesome santa cruz motored bike until i saw it on youtube. i looked for a thread about it but couldnt find one.
have some questions

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine

see? this is the difference between this forum and 'the other'.... here, nobody is verbally spanked for not being Captain Forum Expert.
and also, a guy like myself can go completely off-topic without repercussions. as long as it doesnt become a habit, that is :)

Whut? You no speakie 001010001010100001? o_O

/banned

laff