Micargi Stretch Chain Tensioner

GoldenMotor.com
Aug 26, 2015
Overgaard AZ
Last edited:
Aug 26, 2015
Overgaard AZ
Looks like the nine inch MIGHT work, I'll have to bust out a tape and go see if and where it'll fit. The geometry of our rear frame stays makes this a bit difficult, there's just not much room between them. I'm really leaning toward the spring loaded one I linked to. I'm hoping a chunk of delrin or structural nylon might help the frame from getting chewed.

Motakitty

Feb 14, 2015
San Jose, ca
You and I think alike. As you know the rear frame is slightly angeled so that's why I didn't mount the tensioner there. I also thought about something to save the frame from scratches but haven't done anything about it yet

Aug 26, 2015
Overgaard AZ
You are my inspiration, friend. My path to success lies in emulating yours. I only hope I can return the favor somehow, like finding the proper tensioner for these things. The way you(we) have this bike set up, it's so easy it could be a kit. Granted an $1500 kit, but some fool would buy it, remember the drift trike kit? When I'm done, I plan to compile a parts list, with links, so folks can knock one together with minimal fuss. If everyone knew how easy and cool a motorbike can be, I wouldn't have to dodge so many cars...

Aug 26, 2015
Overgaard AZ
Well, I rustled up a cheapo tensioner today, still need some longer bolts for it though. Looking at it, I really think the spring loaded tensioner is going to work pretty nice. I know lots of folks don't like the spring tensioners, but, that's how lots of motorcycles do it. I think many of the problems folks have with them have to do with spring rate. Its pretty simple to change springs till you find one that works. I'd imagine the ones supplied typically aren't stiff, enough, or are non-progressive.

ZipTie

Jan 8, 2016
Mpls Mn
They work great, Just replace the cheap china spring they give you that stretches out instantly and replace with an beefy american made stiff one. Then they work great, even better if you can grind a 1/8" deep even groove in a skateboard wheel with good Abec bearings...then o so smooth. I chuck it in a drill put the drill in a vice and use a very course file. Be prepared for lots of probably toxic nylon dust. The key then is to install the wheel with the right small flat washers that have a 10mm hole and narrow sides on both sides of the wheel so you can tighten the wheel bolt to the bracket real tight yet have the wheel spin smooth and easy with 0 resistance or side to side slop. It's so worth a 45 min effort.