Morini engines?

GoldenMotor.com

powerbike

Feb 17, 2014
B.C. Canada
This is a Franco Morini engine looks like a 50cc. Hard to get now a days. The new equivalent engine is the DeNardis 50 cc worth about $750 new with everything you need. Both these engines put out about 9 hp compaired to the 2.75hp from a china motor. parts are harder to find for the Franco engine but they are still out there. The Franco engines come in a lot of top manufactures of small dirt bikes from the factory. like KTM'

I consider these two engines the best and most powerful ones out there. And would kill for one. if you don't by it let me know I will.

Hope this helps with your decision.

powerbike

Feb 17, 2014
B.C. Canada
The used engine you are thinking of buying is the engine that comes in some KTM and a lot of other bikes. This is the engine that the clone engines are copying.

Here is a link to DeNardis engines. These are brand new engines made in USA. I don't consider these clone engines they are just as good or better than the Franco engine.Parts are easier to get for the DeNardis engine.

http://www.denardisengines.com/50cc.html

Hope this helps.

powerbike

Feb 17, 2014
B.C. Canada
Not sure, every engine has it's pro and cons. I am in the same boat as you are. I am trying to decide what engine to use in my bike right now.

Here is a pic of my bike. I have the china girl engine out and a 49cc fully automatic 4 stroke engine going in as we speak.

Do keep in mind that if you get a all out race engine it wont idle very well, made for wide open throttle. You have to pick an engine that is going to match your driving style.
Always you can do is weigh the pros and cons of each engine and decide what is right for you.

P.S. Poland EH! My Grandmother is Polish. That makes me 1/4 polish. lol

Fatandre

Dec 1, 2013
Poland
Then I must say its a tough one.
The used morini is a used one, but that should not really matter. It is also cheaper.
I want my bike to be a real beast :p
Can I use a shift kit with it?

dmb

Dec 4, 2010
lakewood ca
the shifter makes me think it's a 65cc from the 90's. $300 is way too steep IMHO. look for a 2002+ ktm or lem 50cc dirt bike that will have most everything your need. ktm still has parts but morini.. not so much but dont pass up a nice one. both stock clutches are iffy and if one has a tomar snake it [their made for 75 lb kids]. dont expect to use a rag joint, v-brakes or cheep anything. all of the ktm clones are from china so dont be fooled, although nice they are not ktm's close though. these 9-12+ hp motors will tare apart a good bike so beware! good luck dennis

Last edited:

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
I have to agree with Dennis. $300 is a lot for that used Morini. Look around because I'm pretty sure you can find a better deal. Here's mine that I'm putting an air cooled cylinder on it and converting my Boxer back for the April race at Willow Springs.

Attachments

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
The KTM50 idles well and the clutch works fine, it's all about tuning the clutch and gearing,the carburetor jetting, and setting the squish band, things not considered in a bargain engine meant as an affordable replacement engine for 50cc KTM gromit racers paid for by MX Dads.

Wild Bill

Jan 29, 2013
Camarillo So. Cal.
Then I must say its a tough one.
The used morini is a used one, but that should not really matter. It is also cheaper.
I want my bike to be a real beast :p
Can I use a shift kit with it?

I run a KTM clone with a shift kit and it works great! You do need to set the clutch rpm to grab at a lower rpm so the power doest hit too hard and put too much stress on the freewheels and chain since it runs thru the smaller mountain bike chain. I also try to be smooth with the shifting to lighten the load and so far the only problem I have had was bending a rear sprocket at the last race, I attribute that to a combination of over aggressive shifting(Shifting at full throttle) and a weak lightweight rear cog set. Clutch adjustment is easy. Whether or not you run a shift kit you will have to fabricate motor mounts for it, I welded mounts right to the shift kit bracket.

Heres the same old tired clip of it in a race I always post, its a crash clip to add to the fun....lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_j5y9XDyKw&feature=c4-overview&list=UUp2zIoY4JB6KWvEWedGWidg

Heres a link to the build thread on it so you can see how it mounts to the bracket...

http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=46976

Last edited: