KTM 50cc pwered broad track racer

GoldenMotor.com

wizzkid

Sep 15, 2013
Tacoma, WA.
Yes it's the clone, and I'm running to an eight speed hud. I would like to see the RPM's around 3500 to 4000 for the clutch to ingage. Right now the it ingages about 8500. What do you think

Wild Bill

Jan 29, 2013
Camarillo So. Cal.
I have my clutch set so it starts to grab right above idle, I dont want to get into the torque at all so it doesnt put stress on the chain or freewheel. It also makes for a more quiet bike since the engine isnt screaming all the time. If you watch the clip in my sig you can hear how even though its set at such a low rpm, the bike accelerates pretty quick because of the gearing, you dont need all that torque.And my bike will accelerate by just barely cracking open the throttle in 1st gear.

I really dont think a higher clutch rpm will work with the 8 speed bicycle chain and freewheel, Im actually surprised it has been working on my bike for so long. I also suggest shifting smoothly and rolling the power on kinda slow and not hammering the up shifts. You have to remember the sbp shift kit is made for the china girl engines and the ktm clone is over three times the power of the china girl.

Last edited:

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
You can get coil springs to replace the washer stacks too, which is used on the mini adventures for trail riding. If you go single speed I would actually keep the clutch stall speed where its at or raise it to transmit more power.

Wild Bill

Jan 29, 2013
Camarillo So. Cal.
You can get coil springs to replace the washer stacks too, which is used on the mini adventures for trail riding. If you go single speed I would actually keep the clutch stall speed where its at or raise it to transmit more power.
I dont think the springs will drop the rpm enuff for using a shift kit, you need to be down near idle rpm.

wizzkid

Sep 15, 2013
Tacoma, WA.
The clutch is using the yellow spring which I heard is the softest spring set you can get, but from what I've read sounds like the washer stack is the way to go. I would like the clutch to start grabbing just above idle now knowing there's enough power on the lower end. On my sbp jackshaft bracket I rapped the inside surfaces with 3/16th plate steel and did away with the U-bolts, it's solid!

Wild Bill

Jan 29, 2013
Camarillo So. Cal.
I didnt know that some of the clones came with coil springs, if you want to go to a washer stack I picked up a new clutch from ebay for $25 so that may be a good way to get the washers and get a spare clutch at the same time.

I hope you have a video camera, I would love to see a video of that bike when its running.

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
I think it changes the personality of the KTM50 motor completely using it with a shift kit and low pickup, possibly for the best reliability since the KTM50 has some heat management issues with the mag stator and coil issues probably related to high rpm heat buildup.

I'm doing a different pocket bike motor with a derailleur and the thing I most worry about is the cassette freewheel with these powerful lil 50's. Fixed single speed is very reliable in that sense, but then there's the issues with running the motor flat out howl about 10K rpm for extended periods.

wizzkid

Sep 15, 2013
Tacoma, WA.
I'll have some video here real soon, when assembled the bike to do a drive systems test ( with out brakes) in 3/4 of a city block the bike reached 39 mph in 4th gear only before having to apply the Flintstone brakes so I could stop before the next street and I still had more throttle. Man talk about hitting the afterburners, holly crap!! These motors are fast on the light bikes.