Are all Morini created equal?

GoldenMotor.com

boocher13

Aug 13, 2013
manchester,ct
I'm a newb to this forum about to make my first build but I'm intrigued with these Morini engines. I've been doing some research trying to find as much info as possible. My title may be a little misleading. My question is ; what mopeds/minibikes came with the desirable,higher output version of the morini 50cc 2 stroke? I see videos on youtube and references on this site to an s5,s6 model with e or s being the low or high hp versions but when I look for a moped with a Morini most are using M1 M01 or M2 as well as a few others I'm sure I'm leaving out. Essentially, if I were to look for a good rebuildable or running engine what model morini should I be looking for? Is there a resource as to what mopeds used this model. I would just a soon buy the whole moped and pull the motor to rebuild it. thanks for looking i'm looking forward to everyone's input.

Maxvision

Jun 13, 2009
San Diego, CA
Go to http://www.morinifrancousa.com/models.htm to find out what motorcycles used the Morini engines and what engines they used.

I use craigslist to find my Morini's. I look for LEM 50s or KTM 50s. You can pick up a LEM with a S5-E or -N really cheap but they are the engines with lowest horsepower (still more horsepower than the China engines). The bikes with the S5-GS usually sell for $450 and up and the water cooled engines being the most expensive.

If any of them need major repair on the motor you'd better be ready to lay out some cash for parts. I've bought 3 bikes so far (never spent more than $150) and have been pretty lucky. Only had to replace a clutch on my S5-T and it's been running like a champ for 6 months now. Still looking for that elusive S5-GS...

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID
I got my S5 E off eBay and a Ital expansion chamber. I took the head off when it arrived and it was in great shape. I can't say it looked un-used but it looked like it was broke in right and really had had little use. I have seen whole ATV bikes go for under $200 complete but I think most of them are pretty hashed by the time they get sold. Kids outgrow a 50cc motocrosser faster than a ATV so many times the bikes are in way better shape than the ATV's.

The S5 E lists 3.5 HP but that's without a pipe, add that and a 15 mm carb and you're right at 5 HP then. That's plenty without having to add a 3 shoe clutch. Look around in this forum for the right clutch oil. It's a Motul brand and the Morini owner's here swear by it, it will help your clutch live longer.

boocher13

Aug 13, 2013
manchester,ct
thanks for the info, after a good cleaning I see mine is a s5n that was really dirty on the outside and I drained about 10oz's or more (of water) from the clutch case. Luckily for me upon inspection the internals all look good. So for $125 I think I did ok. Now where can I get a good expan chamber? is the ktm carb sufficient?

Last edited:

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID
Got mine off Ebay for $35. The motor was supplied to a bunch of different manufacturers so there's a lot that will fit. As to the carb I just don't know. It should be a Delorto 12 PG or something like that. Going up to a 14 or 15 isn't that much of a change butit really helps.