Screaming Primary Gears, niose fix

GoldenMotor.com

Egor

Jan 30, 2008
Hurricane Utah
OK Troops you are going to like this. I found a new trick for the scream that comes out of the primary gears. I was riding along and got tired of listening to the gear noise, and put my hand on the cover, wow all gone. I decided to try a new trick, I took a tube of Silicone rubber and coated the inside of the cover with the stuff. I kept it clear of the gears, putting more at the outer edge and thinning near the center where the disk lifts out when the clutch is pulled in. It was a miracle, it is so nice. I have no idea why the Chinese made that cover so flat, I know there is not much room but dead flat! Oh well you will like this one. Have fun, Dave

cruiser66

Mar 4, 2008
Westport, MA
Hi Dave,

Great to hear how this is working for you. I tried noise reduction from the outside of the box. I used a high quality (thick) mousepad and some contact cement. Other guys have had very good results with this.

Attachments

Last edited:

Egor

Jan 30, 2008
Hurricane Utah
The guys in the other forum are making a cardboard insert the shape of the inside of the cover, they claim that it works great. I'm going to try it on my Schwinn, I haven't done that one yet. I think I will glue it in with heavy grease. The pic I saw the center was ground up from the clutch ring touching so I think I will thin out the middle. Have fun, Dave

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Yeah cardboad gaskets, cardboard gear silencers.....I like the soft, sound absorbing silicone or mousepad idea.

Better yet, I have some lead sheet.

cruiser66

Mar 4, 2008
Westport, MA
Have to agree with Bikeguy Joe on this one. I don't like the idea of adding foreign material in the presence of high speed spinning parts and gears....

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
Seems to me that you'd get some pretty awesome results with Dynamat (sound deadening material for car audio) on the outside. That stuff is thick and heavy and works wonders.

Egor

Jan 30, 2008
Hurricane Utah
Lead now thats an idea. That would make about as much noise as a lead bell, LOL. I like it. I have my covers polished so I would like to have what ever I need on the inside, sheet lead would do nice. Have fun, Dave