Which camera do you use

GoldenMotor.com

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Guys I'm not a cold weather rider but I'm not a wimp either so the week after Christmas I'm going to do a video with the new go pro camera. As long as its not raining, being cold is one thing but being wet and cold ain't gona happen.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
=================

Did you get the camera? I have a video I used with the water proof housing windsurfing, see it at:

https://vimeo.com/114758929

The extra batteries from the seller in New York fit my camera and charged up OK too.

MT
Yes, after bobbing along the Pacific Ocean currents for some time it somehow ended up in a drift of snow next to my trailer home. Not sure how one drift led to another. It was a substantial bottle. After some difficulty extracting the camera through the neck of the bottle I turned it on and it appears to work fine. It does have the screen on the back.

HOWEVER, there is no website noted with no link to instructions of any kind, no software download... so I'm on my own.

On the laptop front I got a newer old one, managed to get Vista loaded on it and registered or authenticated so it would not self destruct (microsoft wants it's dollar). I got gopro studio downloaded for the used gopro Hero 2 I bought in addition to this clone. So far I have not been able to either load video into the laptop from either camera or control the wifi feature on either camera through my iphone or my android tablet. Sigh... how do you spell fruztrayshun?

I also admit that I haven't devoted a whole lot of time to it, either. Bike building has been more gratifying lately (kindalikeawhizzer and Elgin Velocipede builds). I don't need instructions or software to make those happen. Once the holi daze has passed and we've survived 2014 I'll go back to studying the camera stuff.

If you would, please. As if you were explaining it to your seven year old nephew, describe what you do to get your video from your clone into your laptop. What software are you using and where did you get it?

I enjoyed your wind surfing video... you move right along I see! Looks like a lot of fun. If I were younger I'd want to do it. As a young fellow I did a lot of water skiing on northern Minnesota lakes. Before that we had a plywood "surfboard" pulled behind the boat. Clunky fun. Anyway, your little clone is working great. Any tips you have to help me get my clone video into the laptop would be much appreciated. Once I can get to that point I'll manage from there fine on my own (famous last words). Someday when I grow up I'll be real good at it, too. I hope.
SB

Attachments

Last edited:

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
http://www.amazon.com/CIYOYO®-Water...corder/dp/B00NOPIC5I/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Silverbear, in the above link to Amazon, is it the same one you got, beside the color of the camera?

Anyway they say it comes with a manual, but you say none. I mean paper tiny little manual maybe? That's how the original SJCAM SJ4000 manual is. It is postage stamp size, no kidding. I took pictures with my cell phone camera to get jpegs to view on my lap top so I could see the info. If I wanted I could print them out on paper with my printer to 8.5" X 11".

If your camera is the one in the link from Amazon, probably contact Amazon to see if they have a link to get a pdf file of the CIYOYO SJ5000 manual. I myself looked at the CIYOYO website and saw it in another language than English. Maybe there is a setting to switch when you go there but did not find it. Using translation from Google or whatever does not always work 100% I know.

The manual I have being the original SJCAM SJ4000 WIFI Version may not be right to use so I think finding it in a search online or like Amazon, since they are somehow responsible;)

You should know the SJCAM (meaning the original) Website was not really very informative for me with my camera, so the Techmoan website and the videos there and on Youtube of his were quite useful.

I'm being careful and not bothering to do any firmware upgrade. Anyway I got better info on Techmoan website than on the SJCAM Website.

Anyway it seems you took videos and pictures and see them on the little screen on the rear of the camera.

I had to put a flash memory in the camera to use it. Best to use Class 10 speed! Before I did that I read the manual I got and it said that I have to format it on a computer first. I did that, then it was installed in the camera that was still without the battery installed as of yet, that is what they say to do. Then the battery is installed correctly and the charger connected.

If you ever remove the battery to swap out for extras like I bought, you must connect the charger while swapping batteries or else the settings go back to default on the camera. I did not read this in the manual, but saw it in an online video at Techmoan. Seems to be fine for my camera and has not harmed it and I kept my settings.

For WIFI App for Android I down loaded it from my LG Phone at Google Play Store for free.
For WIFI App for Apple I down loaded on my Iphone at Apple App Store for free.

Getting pictures from camera to laptop is done with the usb cable. There is no program I put on my laptop, I just go to the MyComputer and look and see an E: drive (whatever being the one in sequence not yet used letter) and click to get into Movies or Pictures and they are there.

I edit them using Windows Live Movie Maker and use for computer viewing. I get a .wlmp file for a project completed and then save for computer viewing. There is a High Res for computer viewing and I use that too. Then I can upload the .mov file that is the final result.

MT

Last edited:

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
MT,
I want to thank you for taking the time to write this. It was good of you, sir. I will read it over several more times and try to follow up as well as I can. And then I'll get back to you... probably not until after the holi-daze.
SB

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
Once you get the App loaded I found that it may require WiFi password in two places on the smart phone. I recently needed to fill it in on the phone settings and also the App as you start it up.

OK, later.

MT

PS, you got me interested enough that the Iphone that I have and the App not working, I figured it out. It has the picture and the sound OK at the same time. I would think that is desired. I mention this as some quirk has it that the Android has one or the other for viewing on the Cell Phone screen. All controls work, so it really does not matter much, as when it is transferred to the computer over the USB it has both picture and sound no matter how you controlled the camera.

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
MT,
I had already downloaded the App and entered the password. There was no recognition or link up between camera and iphone. Don't remember now on the Android tablet. I'll address it again after the holi-daze of Xmas & New Years. Patience, perseverance!!! Thanks for the tips.
SB

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
I now am the owner of a go pro silver camera, my family went all out on accessories also. They got me several different mounts, four cards, and two extra batteries with a charger. So guess what, its supposed to rain all day tomorrow .

ckangaroo70

May 13, 2011
Central Illinois
I now am the owner of a go pro silver camera, my family went all out on accessories also. They got me several different mounts, four cards, and two extra batteries with a charger. So guess what, its supposed to rain all day tomorrow .
C'mon Greg...don't et a little rain hold you back! Congrats on the nice Christmas score. You got a nice family right there!

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
I had too much to do today so I didn't get the chance to ride, taking down Christmas decorations is not as much fun as putting them up. It started raining by late morning anyway so riding will have to wait till later. I'm off new years eve and new years day so maybe then.

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Ray you are right I have a great family, we do a lot together too. Since both our children married spouses that enjoy the outdoors we all have a lot in common. Jon my son in law has the go pro black that he did the covered bridge video with that I posted a couple of months ago. We are planning a ride where we both are filming and he will use footage from both cameras, he has worked with the go pro software and does pretty good.

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
I'm not sure about the Go Pro, but the clone I got SJCAM SJ4000 Origonal has two backs that can be attached to the protective housing. Note one of the door backs has two slots in it and means that the enclosure will not be water proof. The slots are for webbing to attach to it. The other has a sold door for the enclosure back so it is water proof. I took it windsurfing in the rain and worked well.

I still need to know what is safe to use to prevent drips from staying on the protective cover that is in front of the camera lens. I've heard of RainX or what ever way it is spelled, but the protective case is not like a glass material as a car windshield is. I need to be sure, although you can get replacement lens covers for the protective housing, there is caution to not mess one up in case it crazes.

MT

http://www.rainx.com/tips-information/faqs/ see near bottom of page

Just found this about RainX and plastic motorcycle windshields where some one asks if it is Ok to use on?

answer:

No. This product is intended for automotive glass applications.

===============

PS keep on looking for something safe

Last edited:

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
I got a chance to try out the go pro camera Saturday, it is the best camera I've used so far. The wide angle lens covers a lot so the video looks good even when I look up or down. The only thing it needs is a rear play back screen, all the others have one. I can connect to my phone with the blue tooth feature and watch the play back tho.

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
Rear screen is nice. Though if you really have to get one without, you can sort of get the idea of what the framer looks like, by using the WIFI cell phone screen. The wide angle makes it such you probably can do without it after getting an idea.

Maybe make a framer and attach to the case, or maybe one exists as an option?

The windsurf video I made, when the wind dropped and I fell in and the sail pushed the camera housing on its hinge mounted to the top of my helmet, I just used my hand to reposition it without even seeing what I was doing. Then while waiting for the wind I took off the helmet and looked the screen and saw the camera angle was adjusted OK that I did by just feel.

I do like my Original SJCAM SJ4000.

SO my friend showed me the links all on Youtube that people do use RainX and only 1 out of maybe 10 videos mentions about adverse effects of RainX on what most likely is not glass on the housing of these little cameras.

It seems maybe that when a small amount is applied and most rubbed off immediately with a polishing cloth, it hopefully won't craze the plastic of what ever it is (polymer).

Maybe first I would try using the anti fog treatment for my scuba goggles, since I think goggles are not glass either. Although it is for the inside and for anti-fog, maybe it also has drip resistance as well?

Next time I find it is not really dusty and I'm trail riding, I will use the non-water-sealed rear door to the camera case. That way the sound of the engine and other can be heard better. I also am going to add a bright colored markings to that door, to make it clear that the door has the two opening that can also be used for webbing attachment and is not water proof. Imaging forgetting to swap the door for the water proof one and ruining the camera.... yikes!

MT

===================

From my thread:

Out for sort of trail riding, no time for better spot with tree cover.

http://vimeo.com/116519507

San Luis Rec. OHV area, CA

At the middle of the video about 46 seconds in, you can hear with volume all the way up my throttle up after passing a little rutted area.

Last edited:

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Greg,
Congratulations on the gopro success. I need to dig out my camera stuff pretty soon to see if I can get the wifi to link up and also to load images onto my laptop. Been tinkering on bike builds instead, but need to make time for both. We'll be looking for a video from you, sir!
SB

ckangaroo70

May 13, 2011
Central Illinois
I bought one of these shoulder mounts to mount an FPV monitor on for flying one of my RC Drones. Then while watching a youtube vid where a guy was talking about his...he mentioned it would work well to mount a gopro on. Never even occurred to me until watching that vid, but I do think it would offer a pretty good perspective and the body would probably absorb more vibration then what a helmet mount does? I get mine and the weather straightens up...I will have to give it a try on my motorized bike with my JS4000.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UApc3OZZz5k

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I tried mounting my camera on my chest and there was so much 'bumps' that I didn't even try to download the vid. The helmet mount is the smoothest place I've found, so far.

Tom

Thomasdavid

Mar 13, 2015
landon
i always use canon camera but you post here very good features cameras its really good info i'm impress to read about your cameras.

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
https://vimeo.com/130158715

More recent video, same trail stretch. 30 sec into 1 min video I have the revs up fairly high, but have to slow with rocky and gravel stuff to get steering back to control.

I nicked a part of the water proof case where it is in front of the lens (note not the lens itself), but it is real small, probably does not matter much. I also have been out riding after that taking video with it and does not seem bad, but I ordered just the water proof case. I though you could order just the port window and replace it on the case. Not able to, but for about 15 dollars I'll have an extra around. A protective carry bag also for Gopro and SJCAM I am getting and lens cap to keep it organized on the way. The lens cap is from China, so I'll see if it takes till August, everything else in a week!

MT

Last edited: