40 MPH Club

GoldenMotor.com

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
I flipped over the bars at 40mph when my front drum brake locked up after the fork clamp gave way.

I'm a member of the "40mph street diving club." i'd estimate the distance i flew was 25' before my shoulder, wrist, 4 ribs and two fingers absorbed the impact. by "absorbed," i mean the became the crumple zone of my body.

Oh, that was a good time. altered my life forever.

I've all but given up on motorized bikes. aside from racing a few times a year on the track, i don't have much interest in them at all anymore.

I could go on all day about the early days of modifying china girls to break the speed limits, like gps at 52 with aleman and neil as my witnesses, and later blowing up that motor drafting a truck down PCH at 62mph, or blazing passed the LA crew at 50+ on a sunday ride, but it's all typed out here somewhere already.

You can break the 40mph barrier on a stock, well built china motor with the right gearing. i've done it on everyone i've built. the bike i crashed was a 80lb. 1940's cruiser with 24" wheels and a 30t sprocket. besides reversing the barrel it was all stock, slightly modified parts. nt carb and gutted stock pipe with a supertrapp cap.

search "bairdco" on youtube and you can see it playing in traffic.

Nowadays, with fred heads, arrow motors, reed valves, tuned xchambers, etc., getting 10+ horses from a chinagirl is just a "buy it now" click away. the limits of the china engine have been reached, and can only go further by extensive mods and part changes that leave nothing but case to remind you it used to be a cheap engine. and inside that case holds reworked cranks, new bearings, and guts taken from better built machines.

Where am i going with this? Heck. i dunno. i didn't get much sleep. wear a helmet or something. Going fast is fun...

thatsdax

Feb 22, 2008
www.thatsdax.com
I have been riding for almost 50 years now. I too have been over the bars ripping my farring and mirrors off with my lower body area as I went over the bike after an instant stop by a car crossing my T. I mean instant stop of the bike. I was doing 45 or so.. I saw the pavement coming and did a tuck and roll and only cut my knuckles and scarred my helmet. Cop that saw the whole thing said I would be sore tomorrow. I wasn't.. I was lucky on many levels. My latest encounter was a curb and a rose bush. I again landed into the street with only shredded arms from the 7 foot tall rose bushes.. Who puts bushes like this next to a side walk ?

Yesterday I rode my 50cc Scooter to All Metric to get 2 Socket bolts. I encountered 3 Crossed T's and 2 lane chargers.. People around here hate Scooters or what? Are they mad that I am getting 100mpg? This scooter I have souped up with the 47mm big bore kit . I can cruise 45mpg all day, top speed around 50. So.. I know the problem is not speed. I am not a white liner.. What is the deal.. Anyway.. I survived and for sure it was not worth the 2 bucks I spend on the bolts... A dollar each ? What the?

At any rate.. I am sorry for your over the bars that it did not turn out as well for you as it did for me.. I have been over the bars more than once.. Yes.. It hurts.. But I still ride.. I love to ride.. There is nothing like it. I can go into car wrecks and I am still hurting from getting rear ended in my Suburban. My neck will never be the same again.. The lady that hit me at 50mph plus was texting.. How else would you not see a stopped 5000lb plus 2500 suburban? How? My kids were also hurt.. Me being almost 60 years old now and no high backs in my old truck got really hurt.. Glad I was not on my bike at the time as I would have been killed most likely.. Bike, Scooter or Harley. Killed ? Most likely.. .. Interesting that the worst I have been hurt now was in a 5000lb Suburban while stopped at a traffic Light.. Go figure. If I find myself in a Wheel chair, I will motor Assist my Wheel Chair and soup it up !!

All I can say is..

I am here today, Gone Tomorrow... Until that time.. I WILL Ride !!

Last edited:

gaffo

May 10, 2014
Norman
Thank you.... I was just going to write the same thing. Even with a modified china engine nowhere in this universe is 40mph possible on a 26" wheel with direct drive and a 44t sprocket. Well maybe down a steep hill with a 20mph tail wind...lol Even with a 36t sprocket a stock china engine doesn't have the hp to push the bike much over 30 mph

Although I haven't been involved with MB's for very long I am a 57 year old gearhead with mad crazy skills and I worked hard for over a year and spent a good amount of money to get into the 40 mph club and I get annoyed when I see this and hear this from people. So I say to all put up or shut up!
.flg.
Congratulations Sir!

I'm still trying to get into the 20 MPH Club (there is one I hope). Still 2 miles per hour shy ;-/.

Some days I think I could walk faster than that - lol.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
I flipped over the bars at 40mph when my front drum brake locked up after the fork clamp gave way.

I'm a member of the "40mph street diving club." i'd estimate the distance i flew was 25' before my shoulder, wrist, 4 ribs and two fingers absorbed the impact. by "absorbed," i mean the became the crumple zone of my body.

Oh, that was a good time. altered my life forever.

I've all but given up on motorized bikes. aside from racing a few times a year on the track, i don't have much interest in them at all anymore.
Nothing wrong with that, there comes a time when you have to say to yourself 'I just can't take another body whack' and stop doing the things that have a high risk of one.

I am already there.

I'll ride some of my creations around the block and such but my help does all the real testing these days as I don't want to spend the remainder of my life in a wheelchair or worse and I'm this --> <-- close to that as it is.

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
20 is all the faster I want to go on a bicycle with a motor lashed to it.

If I need to go faster I use one of the motorcycles. They are better suited to it.

If you guys work at it some more, you can get 50. That'll even hurt more when you crash. It's your body, so be my guest.

But remember, hospital time is way more expensive than a proper vehicle.

thatsdax

Feb 22, 2008
www.thatsdax.com
Ok.. Solidly broke the 40mph bracket today riding with my son who was on the 39mph bike. I went by him at 42mph . The Engine has around 15 miles on it and getting more powerful for sure.. Once it is broken in, who knows how fast it will go.. We shall see.. As for now.. I will not be going WOT like that again as 40 + mph is really really fast on this Fixie bike for sure. All I could think of was my Cheap front hub and poor quality spokes.. I must say.. I really like this Fixie and I really really hate the brakes !! These speeds and those pads that come on the bike, in only 15 miles now, the pads are over half worn down towards the mounting stud. Yikes !! There is a coating of pad/wax on the side of one rim.. Never seen anything like this before. The squeal and chatter of the brakes when coming to a hard stop is unnerving and must end before I do. I am on the search for better pads. That must be the bulk of the problem. These are steel stamped side pulls, but should work ok with the right pads.. And before I decide to break the 40mph barrier again, I will get my JOFA and Gloves JIC !! That 40mph gets really really fast in a hurry !! lol.. Enjoy the ride....

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Indeed, there is a 20MPH Club. You don't even have to go 20MPH to be a member.
After all, we take Arizona residents and they aren't even legally allowed to go 20MPH :D
Hehehe, so true ;-}

I don't think I've ever built anything that couldn't do over 19MPH but I've got a bike in the stall right now being specifically designed and parted in by the customer with a like 15MPH top end but enough torque to climb a tree if you know what I mean.

placidscene

Apr 1, 2012
Austin, TX
Ive been 51 mph on my non motorized bike. Down hill, but none the less!
It was a little unnerving!
My Motorized bike isn't quite there yet, but I'm working on it.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
Nothing wrong with that, there comes a time when you have to say to yourself 'I just can't take another body whack' and stop doing the things that have a high risk of one.
haven't given up trying to wreck myself yet. just changed toys to do it with.

the new Vans skatepark in huntington beach opened up a few months ago and it's a mile from my house. been trying to go once a week and skate the bowls that Lance Mountain designed.

no major slams yet, but it's inevitable. been skating my whole life and probably won't quit til i break a knee off or something. obama care! woohoo!

thatsdax

Feb 22, 2008
www.thatsdax.com
I feel you BAIRDCO.. I keep hoping my brain is not writing Checks my body can not cash !! So Far, the Fastest I have been on a motor assisted bike has been 48mph and that was on a Kent with a Jack Shaft shifting setup. I felt more comfortable going 48 on that bike than this Fixie at 42. Fixie seems to have a 35-36 mph sweet spot. Not sure how I know that. Just the feeling I get riding it. I do like it a lot. The Fastest I have been ever was on a Road bike going down hill in a full tuck from MArtin/Mansville up deer creek Canyon. I was going at least 60mph with a friend who was also riding a Nishiki Kokusai road bike. I was on a Super Vitus Frame with all DuraAce and Hi E hubs with MAvic rims with Continental Clinchers, Tip Shifters and more.. I drafted by him at over 50 and kept going. At the T intersection at the bottom, I was able to modulate the bike down and make the T but not able to stop as my brakes had faded , Pete my friend was in worse shape and ended up across the road and into Deer Creek. We survived.. We were younger too. I felt sorry for Pete with his Pepperoni Pizzas on his arms and legs.. But again.. We survived.. I only did that ride once.. I go up that same road at least once a week or so.. I remember that ride many moons ago.. Wow.. I am getting old !!

Last edited:

copmagnet80cc

Jan 7, 2014
Ohio
Thank you.... I was just going to write the same thing. Even with a modified china engine nowhere in this universe is 40mph possible on a 26" wheel with direct drive and a 44t sprocket. Well maybe down a steep hill with a 20mph tail wind...lol Even with a 36t sprocket a stock china engine doesn't have the hp to push the bike much over 30 mph

Although I haven't been involved with MB's for very long I am a 57 year old gearhead with mad crazy skills and I worked hard for over a year and spent a good amount of money to get into the 40 mph club and I get annoyed when I see this and hear this from people. So I say to all put up or shut up!
.flg.
Hmm not sure how that is..ive got a slightly ported (more like cleaned) engine with a speed carb and a 44t sprocket and im easily getting 30-35 mph on flat country roads..

May 28, 2014
Scottsdale, AZ
I went 32.7 on my 26" before it was stolen on a totally stock 48cc skyhawk GT-2b with a 44 tooth sprocket, getting 34.5 on my new 29" with shift kit and stock 48cc, so I dont see 40MPH out of the question on a stock 66cc.

floridaoutlaw

Aug 20, 2014
viera florida
i just barely broke the 40mph barrier with only a couple aftermarket parts. a pretty large expansion chamber which i call the silver banana and a 2nd gen NT carb. maybe i just got lucky with my bike. when i broke the barrier i was running dangerously lean and since i have leaned it out i only top about 37 /= new carb and head soon. i love my 2nd gen NT but the slide keeps sticking on me. also need a new bike. mine is just worn out with wobbly wheels and the coaster brakes are pretty much shot. not sure how many miles ihave on mine but 1000 would be a conservative estimate.

Theon

Jan 20, 2014
FNQ Australia
40 MPH, that's 65 K/hr,
I'm light weight, which helps,
But my Screaming Roo get's this easily straight out of the box.
A standard 38mm stroke Ebay motor takes a little work, but should get this speed with a few mods to the barrel and a standard carb, as long as you have port timing correct and compression up a bit.
My case induced motor with KTM pipe easily hit 55MPH, 10500 RPM on a 36t and 26" wheel, and it's not run in.
But to get that sort of power, you need a decent pipe, not a 'banana' pipe, or a modified China pipe.
My first motor, I got to 80K (50 MPH), with a home made pipe.
But unless your starting with a well balanced crank, preferably 40mm stroke, good luck!

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
You low altitude guys sure have it easy...
Ditto: Maybe, if things go right I'm going to see how one of my bikes does at approximately 800' above sea level, central Illionis, in a few weeks. I'm taking a couple of big jets with me on this trip because I'm carb tuned for 6000'.
I'll let you know how it goes.

Tom

Theon

Jan 20, 2014
FNQ Australia
Yeah, I'm probably only 100m above sea level? But it gets hot here, which is a disadvantage.
I recon I must be getting close to 40 MPH with a 44t and 24" rear wheel on my full suspension bike, as it will also do 10500 RPM, Maybe more?

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
The real killer is that 32-35MPH wind barrier on a bicycle.

The spandex crowd dresses and rides the way they do for aerodynamics.

Personally I like to ride sitting up with my legs comfortably spread and my elbows sticking out enough to be comfortable.
In short a big wind residence because I like the feel of it.

If you want to see how fast you can go outfit yourself and your bike like a grid bike from TRON and tuck in.

I just put an electric shifter on a recumbent and man that low profile machine would fly.