Velocars and other interesting vehicles.

GoldenMotor.com

moto-klasika

Jan 12, 2013
Bern (more) and Belgrade (less)
Ludwig,
I like him some 15 years ago, but later he became a clown! ... Maybe king of clowns, with two dwarfs, but still a clown. Was the name Giff of fourth of them who escaped at time and kept his integrity? ... and, there was one cute girl that could drive fast!
But, there could be worse: there is #@%ç*&~ trio in USA version of TOP GEAR!

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
That rolling bubble reminded me of Jeremy Clarkson's hilarious contraption:

The concept behind the vehicle (able to use gas or electric, small but capable daily driver) is an admirable goal. This particular execution of said goal (note I used the word "execution") is an inadequate and less-than-aesthetic method of finding a way in which your pile of spare parts that didn't fit anything else can actually work together and transport you in a humiliating way.

I suppose I could have just said that his "car" wasn't to my taste.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Number 3 had my interest as well. Three wheels and pedals and gas or electric where required and you are legal in North America as a bicycle. Now with 4 wheels and a Norman T300 air cooled motor and your king of the road.

Steve.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Hello Plycar,

I understand how you feel. We barely escaped the 250W and pedal assist when they changed the rules on electric bikes. Bicycles with gasoline-petrol motors are now illegal here in Canada but we can use up to 500 watts without the pedal assist. The speed limit is 32 km or 20 mph. I have a 1680 watt, 48 volt motor waiting to go onto my bicycle with a sidecar.
I tried the 500 watt hub motor but the bike and sidecar with me on it were just to heavy for the 500 watts at 36 volts.

In the U.S. they can use a motor of at least 48cc or an electric motor of 750 watts and in most states you can have both on the same bike. I believe some states are electric only though. Speed limits are different in each state I think.

With the European Union I'm willing to bet that if you had a larger electric motor than 250 watts they would confiscate your bike and have it checked to make sure you had the proper amount of watts and the pedlac system hooked up.

Steve.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Hi Curtis,

I've seen the car before and it is covered in tulip wood also known in North America as Tulip Poplar or Yellow Poplar but it's not of the poplar tree family. Similar trees are found in China, Brazil and Australia.
It could be done in Poplar as well and stained to any colour you wish. I'd pick a brown mahogany if it were mine.

It would be a lot of work to build but what a beauty to own once it's done. Park it at a car show and sit back and listen to the comments from the experts who know all about it.
Ten or twelve coats of varnish sanded every 2 or 3 coats with really fine sand paper, maybe 400 then 600 and a final sanding down to 1200 with a wet wash and maybe a careful buffing out and you would have no shortage of willing passengers.

Are you out in the garage measuring to see if it will fit yet?

Steve

plycar

Aug 11, 2014
Thuringia, Germany
Thanks for info, Steve.

The Pedelec power limit here in Germany refers to the output power (torque times revolution)
To get 250 Watts of mechanical power you have to put in more electrical power, depending on efficiency.
Because no police officer is able to find out efficiency or measure the mechanical output power, theres a bit room for cheating ;)
The limit means also endurance power, exceeding the nominal power for a few minutes (going uphill) is not illegal.

But nevertheless, the regulations are strict.
Driving a self build motorized car on public roads is nearly impossible for me, because of the very expensive technical check and permission.

The only back door in Germany might be the so called "red number", a red on white number plate only for car dealer and car repair businesses.
This plate is intended for test drives and can be put on every unregistered car.
But, to being able to request and get one of these numbers, I need a car repair shop, which I don't own.
So I'm back at the beginning :-||

Kai

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Thank you Kai,

If you build a trike or three wheeled bike with the 250 watt pedelec and add a body does it then become a car in Germany? With 4 wheels it would be an awful challenge to get it past the authorities here in Canada as well. Here in British Columbia it could be classified as a U-Bilt which is a short form in English for You Built It or self made vehicle.
If it has a petrol motor they would want to see bills for all the parts of the car and then you would have to build it to all the road laws that are for cars and then they would want to see that a certified welder did the welding I'm sure.

There are enough restrictions that it would make you lose many nights sleep trying to get it past them if you could at all.

Steve.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
No,but if i didn't fit i would make it fit. I have seen Tulip wood before nice,with a rotater cuff shoulder all that sand don't sound good. Sure would get then a looking though.
I have a bunch of old Mahogany 12" wide boards prolly close to 50 years old. Temptation and as you say Norman engine................Curt

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
Number 3 had my interest as well. Three wheels and pedals and gas or electric where required and you are legal in North America as a bicycle. Now with 4 wheels and a Norman T300 air cooled motor and your king of the road.

Steve.
Speaking of Tulipwood, I was immediately reminded of my favorite tulipwood-bodied car. This old Hispano-Suiza. Pretty, fast, had power brakes (yes, some of the first!) and even had little light bulbs in the fuse box so you could see if a fuse blew and which one it was. A lot of thought went into these cars. *sigh* If only I had a few hundred thousand just sitting around.

Attachments