Cyclone 900 or 1200 watt kit

GoldenMotor.com

uriahsmw

Mar 26, 2009
Moline Il.
Hello Everyone,
This is my first post so please excuse any mistakes I may do.
With the price of gas and the thought of tinkering with a bike with a motor I am planing on purchasing a electric kit.I plan to use it to ride to work and make store runs.The ride to work is all downhill ( apprx. 3 miles ) which is no problem, but coming home after working all day and peddling up the hills is not my definition of fun.Pushing my old Schwinn varsity up the hills( Im approaching 50 years old) is sort of embarrasing.I have been doing a little research on the web and like the cyclone.Using the gears of a new bike ( Waiting to purchase bike after battery/motor purchase) will I think, help me up the hills, Im not sure if a hub motor would have enough power.
Any way, any thoughts on the cyclone 900 or 1200 watt kits.The price of the new lipo batteries floored me.With such a short trip home from work would I need these new super batteries? I dont understand the difference between the 10 amp verses the 20, Is the different amperages for longer runs with out having to recharge?Any help would be appreciated, as you can already tell I am a newbee
Thanks and have a great day.
Hal

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
would you post a link to the kit you have in mind. I'm not familiar with it. If you mean the difference between a 10AH. and a 20AH. It is the reading of the storage capacity of the battery. You will be able to ride longer with a twenty amp hour battery.

Can you charge the batteries at work.... If so the sla will work for you. I live in a pretty up and down area. I can do three to five miles on my sla batteries and still not run them completely down. I would thing either of the kits would be enough to climb hills, you might want check with some of the other guys I have a tiny little hub motor myself.

Mr Lithium

Manufacturer Rep
Jan 20, 2008
www.falconev.com
yes, hub motors are very strong now, you may find the tinkering to attach the cyclone a bit much.
You only need a 10Ah battery
What prices " floored " you on the lithium ?
u can contact falconev for more info

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I can not speak for anyone else but I use a 24volt battery pack and I only ride it maybe five miles max per trip. I can do what I need on a 12 hour pack but a double pack is nice to ride with just in case,

I can buy two 24volt 12 hour packs(2@ 12v 12ah) for 100 bucks or so The equivalent lithium pack is several hundred bucks I think. I can build a trailer to haul the sla batteries on for about twenty bucks. It will out last either pack I think. I ride my bike about once a day so it isn't a big deal for me to charge my batteries.

Now one size does not fit all. I say that over and over again just to make sure no one thinks my judgments are universal> They are not. If I commuted every day, my needs in batteries would change drastically but I don't.

I get sticker shock when i look at the cost of batteries, but I expect that those costs will fall as they get higher production numbers and we find ways to adapt the batteries that are bound to come for automobiles in the future. For now I will stay with sla or maybe even junk yard car batteries if my tests on them prove them useful. I try to keep an open mind on new products and I think people should keep an open mind on old technology as well. One size does not fit all....

OzzyU812

May 15, 2008
"the bog" NH
The Cyclone is an exellent choice in my book! Why be stuck with one gear hub. 900 or 1200 watt kit depends on your budget. You can skip the LiFePo4's and get SLA's too get your feet wet. They may last you a very long time with light usage and charging them imediately. If they die an early death its time to think about Lithium batties. I'm upgrading my batteries now, about a year overdue.
I sent an email to a guy about the costs of SLA vs Lithium. To save alot of typing I'm just going to copy & paste it. I accually went with Li Ion's. I'm getting 2 of these for a 24V 20AH pack High Tech Bikes. LiFePo4's didn't fit my pack or i would have gotten those.

"Well expense depends on how you look at it. $80 for a set of SLA's that have only been good for 150 cycles vs. $250 for Li Po's that are good for at least 1000 cycles. You would have to buy 6.66 SLA sets at a cost of $533 to last as long as 1 Li Po. I believe I can go as far with one Li Po pack as I can with 2 SLA packs. If so, the cost of the SLA's would double to $1066. In other words it would take $1066 in SLA's to go as far as $250 Li Po's. As as added bonus you get much more consistent power with Li Po's. They don't bog down under constant load unlike SLA's. Plus they are about 1/2 the weight."

grouchyolfart

May 31, 2008
Wahiawa, Hawai'i
Okay. $250 may be doable. Now, will a 24v 10ah battery run a 24v 450W 12ah motor? I use 2 12v 12ah sla batteries and can get up to 20mph on the flats, no pedaling. Are the numbers just the maximum figures? Like the batteries shouldn't exceed 24v or the 12ah. Is it that I'll get the same performance at a longer duration? I know. Lots of questions. :oops:

uriahsmw

Mar 26, 2009
Moline Il.
I have seen the 48 volt for 500 to 800 dollars. Maybe this is not a bad price, but just getting into the world of electric bikes it shocked me.The batteries are the most expensive part of the system which was equally shocking.Beings I know almost nothing about electric motors, amps, controllers, etc. When it says its 48 volts, do you have to use a 48 volt battery ?, sounds like a stupid question I know, but if you used a 36 volt battery would it power the motor at 3/4 power or drop the watts from lets say 1000 to 750? I know I am showing my ignorance here. But I want to be as informed as I can so I make the correct purchase the first time.
Thanks,
Have a great weekend!!
Hal

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
If its a typical brushed motor it drops the output in ratio to the voltage decrease. I have no idea about any others. I have used 12volts on a 24 volt brushed motor by accident. All it did was to decrease the number of rpms...

cvpsmith

Jul 23, 2008
Oxford, MS
Looks like it's Electric bicycle DIY kits kit NuVinci Electric Scooter e-bike Electric bicycle DIY kits kit NuVinci Electric Scooter e-bike Electric bicycle DIY kits kit NuVinci Electric Scooter e-bike Electric bicycle DIY kits kit NuVinci Electric Scooter e-bike El

That kit does look like a lot of work though. Also, the chain drive could mean more maintenance in the long run. The Crystalyte is easy-peasy to install (I had to spread the forks a bit, but it wasn't too much trouble).

The price and power of the kit looks good though. I wonder how rain-proof these kits are?

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
by the way I didn't mention that with a controller with voltage protection you have to use the right size power source. The controller shuts the motor down when the voltage falls significantly. At least mine does.

OzzyU812

May 15, 2008
"the bog" NH
Okay. $250 may be doable. Now, will a 24v 10ah battery run a 24v 450W 12ah motor? I use 2 12v 12ah sla batteries and can get up to 20mph on the flats, no pedaling. Are the numbers just the maximum figures? Like the batteries shouldn't exceed 24v or the 12ah. Is it that I'll get the same performance at a longer duration? I know. Lots of questions. :oops:
Motors don't go by an ah rating. I think sellers should say what amps they draw and the SLA's I have don't say anything abut the Amps they put out. Ah should not be confused with Amps. Ah is more about range, as far as I know. I believe the formula for figuring out if you have the right batteries for the right motor is Volt X Amps = Watts. Here is were my confusion lies. If the Amps for the battery and motor are unknown, how do you know your not going to fry anything? Well, I asked If the Li Ion's would work would damage anything. He said no, your range will increase. So I'm trusting him. I have looked up a replacement controller just in case. LOL

.bld.

The voltage dictates speed.

uriahsmw

Mar 26, 2009
Moline Il.
That kit does look like a lot of work though. Also, the chain drive could mean more maintenance in the long run. The Crystalyte is easy-peasy to install (I had to spread the forks a bit, but it wasn't too much trouble).

The price and power of the kit looks good though. I wonder how rain-proof these kits are?

Good Morn all,
The work involved to me is going to be the fun part! I have played all my life with motorcycles,waterscooters, snow mobiles,even use to grass drag snowmobiles while I worked part time at a high performance snowmobile shop,I learned how to deck heads,cut pistons,port,make expansion chambers, played wiyh clutching a ton,this is also one reason why I want to go with a electric motor verse a gas_I know I would not be happy unless the little 2 stroker was not turning 16000 rpm with no baffle at the end of the stinger.I am a cnc machinist by trade and thru the years have aqquired many shop tool and have a pretty nice dog house (shop).What I cant make in the garage I can at work. One thing I did not like about the cyclone set up is how low the motor sits, exposing its self to water, road debris, curbs etc. I was thinking about this yesterday as I was toying around in the garage and thought how about a clutch system like a snowmobile uses, a person could mount a jack shaft low were the motor would normally be to drive the chain with the driven clutch on the other end, then mount the motor higher up with the drive clutch mounted to it.This is just a thought that Im sure you all have come up with in the past, and I dont know if any body makes these baby centrifical clutches. Im not sure and will have to blow the dust off of my old snowmobile books to find out the ratios, but you would also gain a ton of low end and top end. it would be fun to play with.This would get the motor alittle higher and out of harms way.Granted it would put center of gravity higher also_Oh boy, have not even picked out which kit Im going to buy and already modifying it, my wife is going to kill me!!
Anyway,any comments on the drive, driven clutch system??
Have a great day, see ya
Hal

cvpsmith

Jul 23, 2008
Oxford, MS
The amp output is determined by the controller. The voltage has to match between motor, controller and batteries, but you could hook up a 24V 5,000AH battery pack to your setup if it could handle the weight (all downhill, all the time maybe!!).

On most (good) controllers, if the voltage drops too much it has a built-in circuit that turns off the controller, since a voltage drop is indicative of battery depletion (this is to prevent deep discharge).

The chemistry of the battery won't matter, except for when charging. Ideally, the charger should match the type of battery because they charge different (e.g. an SLA charger won't fully charge a LiFePO4 battery).

True range is tough to calculate given the number of factors. Power in Watts (V*I) is only useful to an extent, because it assumes output of the motor without resistance (hills, tire tread, weight etc.).
In reality, the amps drawn from the battery will vary considerably (although the 10-20 amp range is a safe bet from what I've read).

Since power (w) is a function of voltage, the higher voltage systems need less current draw to maintain a speed of say 20mph.

To really calculate the range of a 12AH system, here is a fundamental question:

How many amps does your system draw in order to maintain a certain speed on a flat grade? If we guestimate and say that it takes 10 amps to maintain 15mph, and we have a 10AH system, we get one hour at 15mph = 15 mile range. Keep in mind this is a VERY VERY VERY simplistic example (because I hate arithmetic), and it ignores MANY factors. To get closer to the truth, we have to take other things into account.

If we had real-world data of the amp draw over time, we could integrate the data and get a value for the power consumed during the trip (which is what these Watt's Up meters will do from what I've read, which is why I really want one!).

This is my understanding of it, anyway (corrections, anyone?). I hope to get some realistic numbers once I get one of these meters. I plan to do a lot of flat grade testing at that point...

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Okay as I understand this and I'm not saying i do.

A battery is like a gas tank.. Volts is the size of the gas line. It controls the flow to the motor. Amp hours or reserve amps is the size of the tank. How much fuel the tank (battery) has available.

The controller is a like the electric version of the carburetor. It in conjunction with the electric throttle controls the fuel going to the motor.

The bigger your motor the more fuel it will use. So if you use a small fuel tank (battery) you are going to fun dry faster. If you run your gasoline motor wide open, it will use more fuel. All that is true of the e-motor as well.

The motor wants to pull max amps all the time. It's like a gasoline motor it will run wide open if you don't throttle it down. If you run your gasoline bike up a big hill it slows down and gas consumption goes up. It's the same with an Ebike.

An electic motor pulls max amps when it is under load and is about to bog down. That's when it is pulling the most. The controller has to be able to handle the max amps of the motor or it will burn out. The voltage has to match as well so that it can accept the flow from the battery. I found that you can not put more voltage through the controller than it is set up for. At least I couldn't on mine.

It really pretty simple if you think of it that way. It's just a gasoline bike with different names for the components. We all know you need the right size carb for a gasoline engine, so it is the same with the controller.

Now I use a friction drive without a controller most of the time. It just doesn't seem to do that much good on them.

So you start with the motor.... exp: 36volt motor. you need a 36volt controller and 36volt battery

20amp motor.... you need at least a 20 amp controller. Like the bigger carb on a hot rod you can put a larger amp controller on but it won't pull more amps then the e-motor can run.

The amp hour of the battery will not effect the motor controller in any way except to run out of charge faster.

Now the controller on my bike does a couple of other cute things. It allows the motor to turn into a generator when it is turning faster than the controller is demanding power. Ie coasting recharges the battery some.

Mine also shuts down the motor before the battery is drained so that I wont damage the battery. It shortens the range of the charge but it helps with battery life I think.

uriahsmw

Mar 26, 2009
Moline Il.
Hal-
You work on all that stuff and a chain drive was too much work?
Hi all,
In my previous post I had actually started it with a quote from cvpsmith, in which he said something about the chain drive being alot of work compared to the hub motor. Sorry, my bad, I didnt know about the quote button which I did use in this post.
Spent this nice saturday cleaning up my 1968 Schwinn mini twinn that i am going to sell on ebay to fund my bike, motor, battery. Got to thinking how cool it would be to have a motorized tandam. Im sure it has been done before. I wrote comet drives about the drive/driven torque converter. They sell a series 20 system that has like a 4.5" x 6" drive/driven with a minium 1200 rpm engagement.This is a pretty small system, but I was hoping that they would sell a even smaller one.
I think the first thing I need to do is sell the mini and buy a bike/motor/battery system, put it together and enjoy before i start modifying something I dont even own yet...
Have a good weekend,
Hal

kevyleven007

Sep 25, 2008
texas
I have 2 e bike kits.one is a bl36 I added a lipo 37v21ah battery pack to.the other is a golden motors 48V1000w with a lifepo4 48v 20 ah battery.they both cost me about 1100 ea.they are worth it.with sla batts you might get 15 miles at the most.I go on 35 mile trips all the time.they are still about half full.there like the energizer bunny.it all depends on how far you want to go.as far as power,hub motors are the way to go.they take up that much less space on your bike.I mount my battery packs mid frame just like a 2 stroke.works for me.and i see kits on e bay as low as 200 bucks w/out the batts.good luck~!zpt