Have You Ever Seen a Big Dummy ?

GoldenMotor.com

ex_cathedra

Mar 7, 2009
dixon il
These are pretty pricey and I just came across these doing a google image search on 42mm rims by accident. These are too cool.I would like to have one of these motorized.
Anyone here think they can fabricate these?
It looks like it would be easy compared to the things I see people doing to bikes here....
Check these out !
They are called xtracycles. I like saddlebags so you can carry things with you.But this is ridiculous.
In a good way !!!!!They call them Big Dummy's
Xtracycle Gallery: February 2009
These need motors!

Attachments

ex_cathedra

Mar 7, 2009
dixon il
Psst ..that black bike in the middle.
Notice the thing on the front down tube?
It looks like it acts as a fender.
(I noticed people saying the front fenders can be dangerous from the vibrations of the motor causes failure)
That looks like it could keep ya from getting splashed and won't cause you to face plant.
The red cruiser looking one has odd fenders too it looks like a two piece.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Psst ..that black bike in the middle.
Notice the thing on the front down tube?
It looks like it acts as a fender.
(I noticed people saying the front fenders can be dangerous from the vibrations of the motor causes failure)
That looks like it could keep ya from getting splashed and won't cause you to face plant.
The red cruiser looking one has odd fenders too it looks like a two piece.
Thanks for pointing that out, I did not notice that. That is a great ideal!

ex_cathedra

Mar 7, 2009
dixon il
Wow ! Thanks !!That was fast !
I was typing the Pssst post and poof !
You had the details.
I am bookmarking that and will harass my mechanical friends to see if I can talk one of them into making one.
Hey fair...do people just make these ?
I went to xtracycle and they had a frame looking thing that was over 1000 dollars.
I like the bags.
The bikes look like limo's
But they shore need a motor!

ex_cathedra

Mar 7, 2009
dixon il
Oooo I betcha you could hide a motor in there somewhere...I have seen people here wanting to camouflage their motors here .heh

Clotho

May 25, 2008
Check out Mabman's creations. They are similar to these but designed for a motor.

mabman

Oct 4, 2008
In the wind
Clotho, you are either up early or out late? Or a different time zone like myself....

Here is what he is talking about and you are right. Loading up a cargo bike and trying to pedal it anywhere is a thankless task until you put an extra 1.6 hp on board. Then it is how much can you carry and where do you want to go.
P1010745.jpg

P1010746.jpg

ocscully

Jan 6, 2008
Orange County, CA
The Extracycle is the set-up you show in the first photo above, it is an add-on unit you can put on just about any bicycle frame. Note the red frame is a DiamondBack and the silver /rear portion is the Extracycle. The bike in the second photo is a Big Dummy made by Surly/Quality Bicycle Products and is one solid frameset. Kona also makes a Cargo bike similar to the Big Dummy and the complete bike sells for about the same $ as the Surly frameset. KONA 2009 - Ute

ocscully

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
One of my accounts has one of these bikes because they do deliveries in the Downtown San Jose Area where parking is tight. Their bike actually look pretty cool and durable.

ex_cathedra

Mar 7, 2009
dixon il
I didn't see any pedals on that MAB... was thinking of friction drive on the back wheel of one of those hidden under the surfboard lookin' thingie for the ladies Schwinn that you can't mount a motor on. I think they look cool with the slant bag look.
Here is my bike at present ...it still needs a cover for where we pulled off the pull start,and a new clutch handle maybe for that 3 speed thang we had to gut.And the rack isn't on either....
But those big bags on those xtracycles make them look like and old caddillac with skirts.

Attachments

...ladies

Jan 27, 2009
Ohio
Cool bike, bet its fast with that small sprocket, idk what it is. maybe a 36 tooth? I'll talk to my grandpa about something like this. He teaches a computer intregrated machining class and with the blueprints he could make one. Idk if i'd make it as complex but i definitely like the look of the long frame. and my motorcycle saddlebags are kind of big for my short MB

mabman

Oct 4, 2008
In the wind
I didn't see any pedals on that MAB...
That picture was taken just before loading it up for a show. We usually don't show bikes with pedals on them.

The pedals are on there now and we are about off for a ride as soon as my partner gets done with his paint detailing mission.

I only have one thing to say about the MAB. Mission accomplished. Now we are working on the little brother. .weldscratg.spr.(p)

mabman

Oct 4, 2008
In the wind
It is still pretty darn chilly here in MI and some good wind to boot. Anyway here are a few shots from the ride. A quick 25 miler.
DSC01232.JPG

DSC01237.JPG

DSC01245.JPG

DSC01244.JPG

mabman

Oct 4, 2008
In the wind
Yeah, they ride great until you load them up as they are intended for use. Then you will want the motor. But that bike rides just fine as a bike even with the motor off too.