Texas Pete first build

GoldenMotor.com

obesepolice

Apr 5, 2012
irving, texas
well here is my first build. I have some surprises in the mail this week cant wait for them to come in. Ive only had it together for a couple of days. It WAS running very strong. Now for what ever reason I cant get it to idle or run at all. I peddle to about 10 mph then pop the clutch, it starts but dies almost immediately. If i give it gas it bogs and dies. I'm running 24:1 mix for break in. I checked the float and jet no trash. I'm running a fuel filter. Ive adjusted the float needle tab several times and no improvement at all. I am stumped. Could the clutch plate be to tight? Maybe im not getting enough spark? I just changed the stock wire to an accel wire as the stock one fell apart. Im stumped.

Attachments

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Better start with the basics. Unhook the fuel line at the carb, and check the fuel flow. Petcock can be blocked, or the gas cap may not be vented.

Next check for spark.

obesepolice

Apr 5, 2012
irving, texas
checked the petcock and the gas cap is venting. I have spark but am a little unsure if its a strong spark. Thought maybe the new plug wire wasnt seated into the cdi correctly. I would check for a vacuum leak but am unsure on how to do so without it running. I dont think im getting fuel ill check the jet and float again.

and yes we should go riding sometime. the sooner its running the sooner we can go.

obesepolice

Apr 5, 2012
irving, texas
i just talked to me dad the master mechanic and he thinks im not getting enough fuel, which is my assumption. I guess ill clean the carb again and check the float levels, jet, and the float needle

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
I'm betting on a clogged jet or something else wrong in the carb. ;)
Take off the float bowl & check it all out... Then blast it all out with carb cleaner.
Also... double check the needle.

Last edited:

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas

obesepolice

Apr 5, 2012
irving, texas
Got the nt speed carb installed, left the plunger on the middle setting. Also put on pirate cycles billet intake and a better filter. Still have the same problem lol. With the intake the carb doesn't sit very level. Could be a problem. I cleaned the carb before install. Im still lost. Lol dang this thing is a pain

obesepolice

Apr 5, 2012
irving, texas
Got my sbp expansion exhaust on. I got the bike up to 45 mph. That's as fast as I dared go. It was still pulling. Another gallon or two and ill go to a top speed
run.