Need Help

GoldenMotor.com

ncsucruiser

Sep 7, 2010
Raleigh,
I just built my first motorized bike with the new 2010 80cc engine and I am having some trouble. At first it was working fine, i was only pulling the throttle about half way and going about 15 mph but the second time i took it out to ride it started spitting and popping, then as i would twist the throttle it would lose power, not accelerate, and sometimes stall. Ive tried adjusting the choke and idle screw on the carb but i dont know anything about how this idle screw works so i doubt that it helped any. Does any one have any thoughts about what could be causing this problem? The way my engine is sitting the carb is at about a 45 degree angle, could this contribute to the problem?

Last edited:

bluenosegoat

Dec 29, 2009
arizona
It very well could be. If its really at that drastic of an angle I would think it will cause float problems. Just like some old Holley carbs- great on the street where they are level but have no place on a Jeep when climbing up steep hills!

r00t4rd3d

Aug 2, 2010
Internet
Sounds like a lean condition , meaning its getting to much air and not enough fuel. Possible air leak at the carb and intake connection ? Got any starting fluid or wd-40 ? Start the bike and let it idle , spray a small amount of either spray around the intake and carb connection. If you have an air leak your engine rpms will change. With starting fluid the rpms will increase and with wd-40 the rpms will decrease.

Add it to your list of things to check along with the other members advice.

Welcome to the world of MB !

:)

ncsucruiser

Sep 7, 2010
Raleigh,
I forgot to say this in my original post but my bike wont idle either. i have to pull the clutch and keep the throttle pulled to keep it from stalling. Will this also be fixed by changing the angle and position of my motor/carb?

ncsucruiser

Sep 7, 2010
Raleigh,
mine is about the same but i think a little higher. I adjusted the angle of my engine,card durring my break from work today but do no have enough time to test it so ill will let everyone know if this adjustment worked later tonight once i ride it.