Sprockets

GoldenMotor.com

mhuggler

Aug 27, 2009
Camp Hill, Pa.
New guy here.:) I just got my bike going and I'm in need of a smaller rear sprocket. I started with the 36t but it revs way to high for me. The angle plug 66/80 seems to be more of a "torque-oriented" engine. Where can I find a 32t sprocket?(nothing fancy, I'm on a budget)

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
ThatsDax: bicycle engine kit, bike engine, bicycle engine, bicycle motor or MANIC Mechanic Parts.htm Jim has everythin' sprocket related lol

But I gotta ask - "angle plug 66/80" - that would be the Chinese in frame with a slant head right? Wheel size? You runnin a small rim? Cause the average here is an in frame w/a 44t (stock) on 26"ers and most seem quite pleased, some switch to a 36t *shrug*

Seems a lil odd unless yer runnin on a BMX or somethin' ;)

mhuggler

Aug 27, 2009
Camp Hill, Pa.
But I gotta ask - "angle plug 66/80" - that would be the Chinese in frame with a slant head right? Wheel size? You runnin a small rim? Cause the average here is an in frame w/a 44t (stock) on 26"ers and most seem quite pleased, some switch to a 36t *shrug*

Seems a lil odd unless yer runnin on a BMX or somethin' ;)[/QUOTE]

I know what you're sayin there. It's a regular 26" mountain bike(Olpran). For some reason my experience with gearing is different than most peoples. At 30mph this thing is screaming! It also doesn't have much trouble going up steep hills. It slows down, but it's far from needing pedal assistance. The smallest sprocket that I see on Thatsdax is already 36t. Any other links?

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Didja try Jim's - the next link over? He's got them listed as small as a 32t on the drop down options for his sprocket adapter. He used to have 'em listed but he changed his site recently, I mention him cause his work is really good - give him a call?

He makes the stuff - so I bet he's got what yer lookin' for ;)

Still - it's odd you've such a powerful chinagirl, heck - can't complain though lol

mhuggler

Aug 27, 2009
Camp Hill, Pa.
I'm sure Jim could hook me up but I wasn't looking for anything high dollar. The old chinese rag joint sprocket seems to do fine. About the engine: When it gets to a certain high rpm(don't have a tach yet), it falls on it's face like it ran out of gas. Tremendous bottom end though. Does this sound typical for these engines? Do I need a bigger carb?

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Sounds like a fuel starvation issue - check/fix yer float level first.

"Do I need a bigger carb?" erm... short answer - no, but upgrades are an infinite thing lol

xlite

Jun 18, 2009
ny,ny
Unless something has changed in the last week or so Duane does not carry 32t. I'm having some trouble getting him to see the light. And in my opinion the other guys (Andy, Jim, etc) are way overpriced probably because they are custom. Got my 36t from BGF for $12. When china catches on to the higher torque of these new motors they will be available for peanuts.

Got my 32t off Ebay and it made a HUGE difference. Max speed went down but cruise much improved.

PS watch out for the aluminum (alloy) ones. One of the guys I did a bike for is already seeing signs of "hooking". The cheap chinese one from BGF is steel and showing no signs of wear even after 10k miles. Also be aware there are fancy ones with chrome plate, dishing, bevelled teeth etc. and plain ones w/none of the above.

Last edited:

Andyinchville1

Manufacturer/Dealer
Dec 26, 2007
Scottsville, VA
HI,

If you go with a direct to the disc hub, hub mount we can go as small as 17T.....

The smallest we can make Top Hat mount, or factory "rag" mount (HD pattern) is 26T......YOU may be able to go slightly smaller BUT eventually the chain will start to ride the bolt heads (of course you could file them a bit and go a little smaller BUT I have not found the limit yet...

Hard Coating the 7075 makes for a very durable sprocket in case you are worried about longevity under hard use.

Hope this helps.

Andrew

gian

Jun 30, 2009
vancouver
i tried 35t sprocket 7075 aluminum bought it from forbisher $35 plus shipping $5 coz im in vancouver it tooks 2weeks ,its really good easy to install has a bigger center hole. my maxspeed 65kmh flatground .i compared it to my stock 36t it goes 60kms a little difference but i switch to 36t coz i want more torque and when you come to a full stop is easy. the weight of 36t is about 400grms the 35t aluminum is 200around grms.

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
Most of that high end motor falloff is usually a mixture TOO rich- try more oli in the gas.

here is the way to tell first- adjust the petcock closed down a little- if this ends or helps the fall-off, it's because the mix is too rich otherwise, not that it's not getting enough gas, which everyone usually first assumes. It's actually getting too much and drowning.

the other thing is your first statement about the motor being "torque oriented) or something like that you said. YES- this is sorta true- with a stock carb, I don't think many people have much luck in that high whiny range at the top-

when I switched from the stock 44 to the 36, it helped a lot, mostly though at cruising WITHOUT the throttle wide open- in the range that some people call "4 stroking" here (and I'm not sure about the accuracy of that term). So my advice is aim for a good cruise speed- and don't worry about top end- the motor will run longer and you won't be so likely to hurt yourself. Don't be afraid to put oil in the gas- the motor needs it.

I have both a 34 tooth sproket that is a bike front chainwheel I'm drilling out, and I als have a 32 sprocket I got from boygofast on e-bay (search bike motor on e-bay and then go to boygofast store when his items come up) It's about $20 and shipping- I think he takes offers. Haven't installed either yet, so I can't attest to the effect. The 36 certainly gained some cruise speed over the 44, but at that time I was living in some severe hills, and probably wouldn't go any lower there. Now I'm in flat lands, and may.

the 34 I got for $11 delivered from bikeparts4 you also on e-bay- I'll post it next. You'd have to drill the center and i've already drilled it to bolt directly onto a large falnge alloy Schwinn 10 speed hub.

Last edited: