I smell like gas...

GoldenMotor.com

jeffyh

Nov 28, 2015
Madison, NJ
Still breaking in the new build so I don't know if it's a tuning thing, but is smelling like gas a normal part of motor bicycling? I literally reek every time I get off the bike. Is there anything I could do to fight this?

Running 32:1 and the 2nd leanest setting on an NT carb. No fuel or exhaust leaks anywhere.

sbest

Nov 3, 2015
Nova Scotia
Yeah, I'd guess your tank is leaking a spray of gas from the vibrations when you drive. The cap does not seal well and when filled to max, the vibes cause a spray of gas.

Try running with a half tank and see if it is better. I haven't figured out a fix for the cap yet.

Steve

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Consider it a badge of courage. "I smell like a 2 stoke? Therefore I am."

I agree with Chaz. Extend the exhaust so it exits behind you. Noise and exhaust smell is left out back where it doesn't stick to you.

You might also want t make sure as sbest said, that you fuel tank isn't venting on you. You need to decide if the smell is exhaust, or raw fuel.

If all else fails, throw in an ounce of Castor Oil to your blend. Then you'll have that great 1960s Gokart racer aroma. "I love the smell of Castor in the morning. It smells like, victory"

Tom

Last edited:

jeffyh

Nov 28, 2015
Madison, NJ
If you have no leaks then it's exhaust fumes from idling mostly. You could get a fancy poo poo pipe to take your exhaust out to the rear.
Just saw them on gasbike for $45. Are they significantly louder? I'm trying to keep things quiet.

The cap does not seal well and when filled to max, the vibes cause a spray of gas.
Thanks, I'll look into it and if i find a fix, I'll let you know.

Consider it a badge of courage. "I smell like a 2 stoke? Therefore I am."
You need to decide if the smell is exhaust, or raw fuel.
lol. I have a cycling jersey that says 'motor' across the front. Might as well wear that too.

How would you tell the difference between the two? If I had to guess, I'd say it smelled like raw fuel.

Chaz

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver, British Columbia
Jeffy, I don't have personal experience with the fancy poo poo, but Maczulu just posted a few days ago that it is quieter than the stock pipe.

It's okay to smell a bit like gasoline, the girls dig it! I use it for aftershave.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Today I rode my bike to Jury duty so I did not have to deal with parking. It was nice the bike rack was right by the door.

Two people did mention they smelled gasoline that was sitting close to me :oops:
First time that has happen to me.

Cylon

Jun 26, 2015
Maine
I have a few different expansion pipes and they are all louder then stock. Go to your local hardware store and get some copper piping that is a close match to the outer diameter of your stock exhaust output and drill then rivet the piping to it and run it beyond the rear sprocket. That's if your getting you gas smell from fumes, this will also cost you less then 5 dollars rather then wasting money on a whole new pipe that honestly really doesn't do anything.

If you don't want to do this check this out as an alternative,

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MOTORIZED-B...ash=item3f519e621c:g:i0UAAOSwLVZVxl84&vxp=mtr

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
The cap on the tank does not seal sometimes, if you fill the tank completely a mist of fuel will vent and hit you below the belt!

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
Between the pinhole on my gas cap venting a bit, and those rubber grips (which I really should replace) and the under-helmet sweat, when I walk into the house after a long bike ride my wife sends me straight to the shower.
She has never once discouraged me from riding, even after my one accident. But if I want to sleep in the same bed with her, I must erase any trace of bike stink. I can live with that rule; I'm usually in the mood for a shower at that point anyway.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I smell just like I do after a bike ride when I use the snow blower. Maybe that's because I use the same fuel/oil. The difference is that riding the bikes is fun whereas blowing snow is hard work. Especially a heavy wet spring snow like we've been having.
Where is summer?

Tom