Best plug color... really?

GoldenMotor.com

xenodius

May 23, 2012
Spokane, WA
My plug has looked like this for quite a few miles. I really don't know how it should be running, and I've looked on the classic sticky and studied all the color charts, but they're all different. Some folks say plugs like mine are great, other charts say that's too rich... (#7, i'd say?) Anyone have an opinion?

I'm still running 24:1, haven't burned through my break-in gallon yet =) And I'm switching from a 44t to a 36t sprocket this weekend-- I'll ride it more when I can cruise at traffic speeds =) And I haven't tuned the carb at all either-- it's an NT carb =)

Thankyou for your input, guys! =)

Last edited:

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
You will need to prolly up load us a pict of your plug if'n you want a good opinion? The chart could be confusing for a beginner? I think the charts a pretty accurate. It is confusing for us to say much on word description tho..

Also most of us are running synthetics 32 to 50 to one. in a synthetic is good. I thin k24 to one is a little lean on fuel mixture and a little rich on oil. The more oil you use the thicker the fuel is thus leaning out one's fuel to air ratio..

Last edited:

xenodius

May 23, 2012
Spokane, WA
I uploaded a pic as hyperlink in the first sentence, I guess it's not that obvious >.> But imgur allows higher resolution than embedding on the forum, and it's faster.

I am a beginner. =) In the NT carb tuning thread I linked, a guy posted a picture of a grey plug like mine and said, "This is tan, you want it like this". But in the dansmc.com chart I linked, mine looked like a #7-- not something to shoot for.

I'm running the 24:1 just for the break in... synthetic 2-stroke oil from Walmart. I'm going to have to go about about 20 miles to get ethanol-free gas on my next can, but this can is 10% ethanol.

Last edited:

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Ok according to http://imgur.com/p6DMT your are running a bit rich fuel wise. Which is ok for break in, a couple of tanks or so. To lean the fuel mix at the carb raise or lower the needle by where you place the clip on it. Most folks are about the second notch down on the needle from the top notch opining on the needle where the clip goes. with a N.T. carb.

Raise the needle is richer lower the needle is leaner.

tooljunkie

Apr 4, 2012
Manitoba,Canada
i wouldnt gear it up until its run a couple hundred km's.
the carb tuning will make a difference.
i measured my new 66 and the jet is a #74 drill bit size.
i read most success at around a #68.
read up on how to do a plug chop.
fortunately i can clean the plug with my soda blaster to start with a feaux fresh plug every time.

also check youtube,theres a video demonstrating fourstroking.i found it a little helpful.

tooljunkie

Apr 4, 2012
Manitoba,Canada
goat herder is right on,but the needle setting doesent change anything at wide open throttle.
it is best to leave it rich until you get some time on it.

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
I would say your plug does look a little too oily.
Probably not enough to affect performance
It's probably better to have a bit too oily, than to wear out lubrication starved engine parts tho-
all you have to do is replace the plug, or clean it once and awhile

I'd personally go about ten percent leaner for awhile- check it again and adjust accordingly if needed.

xenodius

May 23, 2012
Spokane, WA
Thank you guys, I appreciate the advice :) I think I'll lean it up a little by needle, but I'll probably wait to re jet it for now.

Why should i wait to gear it up? Right now, the difference between 20 & 24mph is half-throttle to full-throttle, and it only feels loaded at around 10-15mph, while accelerating... I mostly just want the RPMs down, and I want to do closer to 30mph to match traffic. Almost got a 32tooth sprocket ;-)

Posted on my Evo

Last edited:

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
Gotta remember that synthetic burns a different colour, Grey, like yours. But you want a lighter grey than that. Build up on the end of the threads is a good indicator.

Mineral oil likes a chocolate brown, but synth will never get there. Plus you've got to remember most of those charts are for 4-stroke cars too eh.

44 to a 32 will really lower your rpms for cruising, good call. Hope you don't have any big hills :p

gl.