ammo can fuel tank idea

GoldenMotor.com

andrewflores17

Jul 12, 2010
colorado springs, CO
if you were to cut a 50 cal or even a 20mm ammo can down the size you would need then you c ould weld the top on and cut in a hole for a cap just takeing the cap off of your stock one would work i imagine just throwing this idea out thier someone may make use of it brnot

thegnu

Sep 15, 2011
freedom pa
Great idea , but how about this one . find an army surplus store an get a large caliber shell casing around 75mm make a progectile shaped cone paint it to look like lead attach the two peices add petcocks an a filler neck an BAM ! your riding around with a "bomb" on your bike . how cool would that be especially if the whole theme of the bike was military ?

andrewflores17

Jul 12, 2010
colorado springs, CO
wow i realy like that idea a little fiber glass painted for the brass or if you coulld some copper shaped out would be realy cool good idea good thinking my current build is gona be a military related build its gona be coyote tan instead of od green though

andrewflores17

Jul 12, 2010
colorado springs, CO
i did just that took to 50 call ammo cans put locks on them and mounted them to my rear rack holds a motorcylce battery to run my 35watt chrome fog light at work but will put up some picks tonight

crawler

Aug 5, 2011
Wichita, KS
Great idea , but how about this one . find an army surplus store an get a large caliber shell casing around 75mm make a progectile shaped cone paint it to look like lead attach the two peices add petcocks an a filler neck an BAM ! your riding around with a "bomb" on your bike . how cool would that be especially if the whole theme of the bike was military ?
105mm howitzer

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
If you use 2 boxes, you could mount them on the sides of a conventional rack, and use one as a fuel tank. If you welded the lid shut after making your fittings for filler and fuel feeds, vents, etc, it should be very durable. Those metal boxes are pretty heavy though, and how much fuel would it hold? 3/4 gallon?

thegnu

Sep 15, 2011
freedom pa
not trying to complicate things but if you also recessed the top of the ammo can so that it would hide the filler neck an retained a clean looking lid I believe you can lock those boxes .

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
If your going to use a big shell casing for a gas tank may I suggest that you do it well away from the Northern or Southern border.
Those folks have absolutely no sense of humor when they see something like that. Of course your local police department may not be happy about it either.

Just think about these things since I live 20 minutes from the Northern Border and hear about the border stops all the time.

Steve.

andrewflores17

Jul 12, 2010
colorado springs, CO

heres the 50 cal cans if you were skilled enough you could make a compartment in the can to hold fuel then leave half of the can for tools or whatever else youd like .

this would work realy well cause you could lock the can up secureing your fuel and tools.

sorry the cans are so dusty bike was ageing .

if you were to do the ammo can saddle bag id recomend that you look at 7.62 cans to their about half as wide and may give you that more stream line look .

google fat 50.cal
these are ammo cans that open from the side and are sliigtly wider

thegnu

Sep 15, 2011
freedom pa
its not about skill find someone with a metal brake have them form a top that will slide down inside about 3 inches after that all you need is good soldiering skills silver solder an flux are very strong I have repaired many fuel tanks on some restorations that way . just make sure not to over heat your metal an make sure your solder flows out nice an smooth. you can practice on copper pipe to get the correct feel for it .