What bike did you build on...? CHIME IN

GoldenMotor.com

freitag

Mar 18, 2011
portland
So I have been reading on this site for some time, and more confused than when i started, lol. I am researching types of bikes to build (aluminum, steel, cruiser, mt. bike, single speed or multi speed...etc..)

I have a Grubee 66cc:

There are so many opinions out there... Honestly i want deal, but i want to have a quality bike. Ive been looking at cranbrooks, delmars, landmark...etc. Obviously I know these bikes are prob. a bit of junk. But why do so many people build them? Is it just the value..?

Here's the ultimate question... After all your experiences.. what do you suggest is THE BEST BIKE FOR THE MONEY? If i could spend $200 or less that would be great.

Please tell us how your bikes are holding up and what kind you built and why?

THANKS FOR YOUR OPINIONS!!

ruppster

Mar 3, 2010
maine
First of all decide what your going to do with the bike. Casual jaughts, show bike, commuting. Then decide on what style you like. Your skill level and budget will dictate where you go from there. The biggest draw back of the box store bikes is the poor quality especially of the components. If you plan on putting on the miles then buy quality everything. If you buy a cheap bike you will be upgrading hubs and wheels at the very least. after you pay for all the up graded parts you could have bought a quality bike except you still have a questionable frame. If your only going for a sunday putt once in awhile a box store bike might serve you well but I would still be suspicious of those wheel sets. With that said some members claim to have great luck with box store bikes and if it makes them happy who am I to fault them.
I don't know first hand but there are plenty of posts warning against aluminum frames due to cracking. In my opinion it seems like the best bang for the buck is a older high quality mountain bike with a sbp shift kit. All the parts are over the counter and minimal fuss and the frame and components are already heavy duty so over all cost would be minimal compared to some builds. I've seen Gary Fisher mointain bike on craigs list for $75 that was in great shape. Throw a few hundred bucks at sbp for a shift kit and expansion chamber and you have a solid bike that should haul butt.
If you get lured into more custom bikes like board track tributes or antique bikes kiss your wallet good buy especially if you have to have stuff made for you not to mention it's very trying if you don't have a knowledge or support system for antique bikes.

F_Rod81

Dealer
Jan 1, 2011
Denver, CO
I'm a fan of aluminum. Lighter = Faster xct2

Look on craigslist for some garage steals. You can find some good quality bikes on there for a lot cheaper then a new department store bike. Good welds and good brakes are the thing to look for. The style of bike totally depends on you.

You have to ask yourself :
- Whats my style? (cruiser or MT. Bike)
- What am I looking to do? (on-road or off-road)
- How am I planning to ride? (cruise or go fast)

I have both a Mt. bike and a cruiser and I like them both. Each bike has its advantages and disadvantages. If I started all over, I wouldn't do anything different. I say build one, then build the other.

F_Rod81

Dealer
Jan 1, 2011
Denver, CO
If you decide on a mountain bike look for an older: Giant, KHS, or Specialized. They are chromoly frames, which are a lot stronger then its competing metals.

kevyleven007

Sep 25, 2008
texas
If you have a skyhawk your gonna need a skinny frame.but,they are one of the fastest around.boy go fast kits have bigger mounts and are cheaper but low quality although they run pretty good.expect some broken hardware/parts before you are done.I would recomend a worksman but thats gonna cost you.greenline is pretty good.ok.get a macargi 7 speed.cheapest one you can find.or,a 5 speed cruiser from street lowrider.thats my advise.unless you can pick up something good used.....good luck with that

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
The basketcase I bought was a huffy cantilever. Got it off Craigslist from a college kid.

I think a steel frame is probably best for most.

I was just looking at a huffy newport... it's a 26" cruiser with front and rear rim brakes which I feel are very important. disk is better!

Why a cheap bike frame?
Well, after all, it is the cheapest engine out there!

Best
rc

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
I built my 2-stroke on an Atlas industrial bicycle.
I plan on building a 4-stroke on an older mountain bike frame in the future.
80's through 90's Diamond back, Giant, Gary Fisher, Specialized, ect.

Why an quality frame and not a cheap frame? Because I want it to last and come home in one piece.
Cheap is not quality and quality is not cheap.
You can cheat a little and buy old excellent quality at cheaper used prices and come out way ahead of the game.

crawler

Aug 5, 2011
Wichita, KS
I haven't started it yet, I'm collecting parts to build a mid 60's schwinn typhoon. I found it on craigslist and my dad picked it up for me, I'll get it when I visit them over labor day. I've read some not so great things about newer look-a-likes, so I shied away from them, not knowing what was what. This thing has made it 45 years+, and is still in good shape. You know they were built well back in the day, just like almost everything else.

Heck, he threw some air in the supposedly original tires, and has been riding it around. He says it pedals great. Go figure.

One way or the other, whether it's an old cruiser frame, or newer quality mountain bike, I wouldn't skimp on a cheap one. doing 20-35mph is not when you want something cracking apart on you.

freitag

Mar 18, 2011
portland
You guys are awsome.. thanks for taking the time to post. I am appreciating all your 2 cents. Hopefully this helps out others as well...

Keep em coming...!

BADBOOH

Apr 3, 2010
San Diego CA,
My first build (only build yet) is on a Aluminum Trek Classic Cruiser. The bike is made very well and has great lines. Over 2,000 miles and have bin T-Boned once no problems. The only issue I have with it is a 4-stroke will not fit and Trek support for their cruisers is crap!!!!!!!! Next will be an aluminum 4-stroke Felt.

brnotdnut.shft.cvlt1dance1

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Re: What bike did you build on...? a GIANT BUTTE

I got a Giant Butte... and I'm gonna post a picture of it!

Set me back a dime at the LTS.
It's pretty rugged.
Flats, rust, cobwebs, mud, bound up chain...
Must be a phobia I got to be stuck w/o transport.

And the pile is growing!

I got this one for the chrome front fork... liked the way it looks.
Thought I'd make a springer out of it...
Then it dawned on me the center pulls have welded stays on the fork, and I'd ruin the chrome grinding them off.
It was a one-year bike, 91-92, and referred to now as a boat anchor!
Might be just the ticket for a MAB.

So I'll build it up, as is, I guess.
Much larger frame than the ParkPre I'm running now, and it's a 1/2" longer wheelbase. Very stout dropouts, too.
There's a lot I gotta learn abt frame geometry.

Attachments

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Re: What bike did you build on...? a GIANT BUTTE

Man if I had a Giant Butte, I'd go on a diet. And I certainly wouldn't post a picture of it! laff :D

dnutr

I got a Giant Butte... and I'm gonna post a picture of it!

Set me back a dime at the LTS.
It's pretty rugged.
Flats, rust, cobwebs, mud, bound up chain...
Must be a phobia I got to be stuck w/o transport.

And the pile is growing!

I got this one for the chrome front fork... liked the way it looks.
Thought I'd make a springer out of it...
Then it dawned on me the center pulls have welded stays on the fork, and I'd ruin the chrome grinding them off.
It was a one-year bike, 91-92, and referred to now as a boat anchor!
Might be just the ticket for a MAB.

So I'll build it up, as is, I guess.
Much larger frame than the ParkPre I'm running now, and it's a 1/2" longer wheelbase. Very stout dropouts, too.
There's a lot I gotta learn abt frame geometry.

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
I've installed chinese 2 stroke motor kits on 2 Schwinn Legacies, a Schwinn point Beach, a Giant Simple Seven, an older trek mountain bike, a 70's Huffy and a couple more Walmart bikes I can't remember. By far the Giant, Trek and Huffy were the best choices. The aluminum Walmart bikes were for resale and looked great but the others I built for friends. My keepers are all on 70's Schwinn cruiser frames and are DIY builds with industrial 4 stroke motors. No frame integrity problems on the old American made steel bikes.