Anybody read this article about motor bicycles?

GoldenMotor.com

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Actually, it's not as bad as I thought (so far anyway lol) - other than the bike lane rant, it pretty much all boils down the same common complaint;

Erik Wright, co-owner of WheelHouse, said that from a personal standpoint, the motorized bikes are “annoying.”

“They’re so loud,” he said.
I don’t mind them except that they are so loud
I really hate how freakin’ loud these things are

Honestly? I'd take this as solid feedback.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I can understand the loud part. i just can't get into a loud 2 stroke. I'm happy my bike is pretty quite.

This may upset some people but I feel like we'd all be better off if out China Girls only top out about 30 mph. I'd settle for that if everyone would leave us alone. Even a 48cc with a quite muffler can go that fast.

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
A long pipe helps keep the volume down, and while the 2 strokes are a bit too loud for my own tastes, and compared to the 4 strokes- just listen to "normal" motorcycles- especially the hogs- blow your eardrums right off- Our bikes don't have nearly that bassy impact that changes internal ear pressure like ahigh powered bike or hot rod.

actually the bikes aren't any louder than the "suburban menace" called the lawnmower- if I had a dollar for everytime I have been waken up by someone who simply HAS to mow their lawn early in the A.M.

and our bikes just sorta move in and through the soundscape in a few seconds- unlike a mower or leaf blower, that hangs out for half an hour or more.

I lived in Santa Barbara once and worked a bit at a bike shop in Isla Vista- Real high rents, a little snooty and poor people don't get much respect. Great cycling though.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
most bikes do top out at 30mph.;)

that article is full of misinformation. so obviously, i had to comment.

but hey, i got a mention in it: "One guy I read about in Newport Beach wants to be legal, but every time he’s pulled over, he’s told something different.”

and the cop they interviewed is named "Mike Hunt."

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
My bike is so darn LOUD, I can hardly stand it (and I'm half deaf)! Why are these bikes so LOUD, it's so annoying! I can't hear myself think they're so friggin' LOUD!

Did someone say something? I can't hear a thing.....motorized bikes are just way too LOUD!laffrotfllaffdance1

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
most bikes do top out at 30mph.;)

that article is full of misinformation. so obviously, i had to comment.

but hey, i got a mention in it: "One guy I read about in Newport Beach wants to be legal, but every time he’s pulled over, he’s told something different.”

and the cop they interviewed is named "Mike Hunt."
Mike Hunt.......my girlfriend hates when I call her that!

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I think these guys in the article just flat don't like motor bicycles so they're pointing out the most annoying aspects of them. Loud 2 strokes really do sound like suck. We do need to try to keep the volume down, at least in the hood. OTOH my Harley sets off car alarms on both sides of the street when I ride by, but it doesn't sound as annoying as a loud China Girl. Loud girls need to STFU.

I think the speed issue if more like whining on their part. Most MBs don't go fast enough to complain about, but that doesn't mean you should ride like an ass down the bike lane.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
<Eyeballs the new Morini S6T and SPB expansion chamber sitting on his bench.....
Hmmmm... bigger silencer... stainless steel... re packable.
check
That'n is a noise maker..:D The Morini is about 1.5 times louder than a China 2 smoke in my experience I am on a quest to make one as quiet as a Honda generator not easy!

They are telling some real and genuine truths in the article. How ever I can see a we tad bit of hater coming out of it. When I am sitting in my house I can hear some cars occasionally come by. Some of my China riding friends I don't hear them coming up. One of them has one of the quietest tuned pipes I ever saw though. I can see the noise side of this equation..

I had a pipe on my first china rider I eventually came up with in combination with the SBP tuned pipe, I ran a pipe to the the very back of the bike [sick of oil accumulation] from the rear of the SBP pipe. Coincidentally It was as quiet as a Honda generator I was very proud of that one. The way I did it prolly stole a little power tho upset the tuning. It was way quieter than stock.. Honda generators don't sound like dirt bikes..:rolleyes: They were made to go camping with where you can sit and play cards comradeship and here your self think.

I like to be able to hear the creaks and rattles in my bikes. That's just my personal preference to be very quiet.. Also when I left the grocery store I did not feel like little old lady's were going to hit the curb dodging me [only seams happen right when I start it up when it was stock]. I do see the part where folks turn their heads tho.

On my D.I.Y. Morini jobber due to the rear suspension restraints I never did get a good muffler on it. I eventually ran it with out one and it could wake the dead! It was really nice for awhile for one main reason. When I was going down the road at 35 plus they could hear me and see me. I never did get a close call. Loud enough to get past their personal car stereo while they had their windows up..

You know that part where a car[ cuts you off] pulling into the main road you are barreling down and never bats a eye.. They speed off like it never happened.

I can see where electric riders are gonna have a different time here! And get into a terrible accident. They'll need a loud speaker making motor noises lol.;)

Last edited:

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
I saw on a thread ,recently,w/a link ,a water muffler has anyone tryed them?,,,,I think they are for boats,,,,,I am at a diff. computer and its not in these favorites list,i don't have a link to post

Mac

Dec 3, 2009
Maine
I run a SBP pipe and thier muffler too, I get more noise outta the carb. and engine it's self, than from the exhaust. It is very quiet with no power loss. I don't ride around in zone 5 afterburner much, but I do have my moments. Consideration. I slow down and avoid, kids, dog-walkers, spandex walkers etc... be supprised what a smile a a wave can do.

Mac

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
I run a SBP pipe and thier muffler too, I get more noise outta the carb. and engine it's self, than from the exhaust. It is very quiet with no power loss. I don't ride around in zone 5 afterburner much, but I do have my moments. Consideration. I slow down and avoid, kids, dog-walkers, spandex walkers etc... be supprised what a smile a a wave can do.

Mac
I clarifyed my previous post Mac.. I made mine even more quieter! Yes that pipe is a swell pipe! It is not bad left alone. My quest was stealthy silence! ;)

Techbiker

Oct 27, 2009
DFW, Texas
Ironically my 4-stroke is much louder than my 70 cc China girl with a SBP Pipe. I think that the straight pipe on my 4 stroke probably has much to do with the noise issue though lmao.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Ironically my 4-stroke is much louder than my 70 cc China girl with a SBP Pipe. I think that the straight pipe on my 4 stroke probably has much to do with the noise issue though lmao.

Don't lmao too hard!:) It cut the noise in half.. and could be noticed from a distance as well as on the bike. Now because I got a taste of true quiet I have come up with other ways to accomplish this effect. This bike was a mutt for proving grounds. I have more efficient means for accomplishing this accidental effect now.. I do like the quiet!!!!!

This conduit that I used was rather too small in diameter..

Attachments

Last edited:

thine82

Nov 26, 2010
kingston ny
goat herder is that a vaccum line or something like that to a car?? that is near close to the idea of a DBSNORKEL..
cogi i made the posts about a water exhaust and i am currently trying to figure out how to make it better so i can have more water in it and not drown the motor.. but welding and making the pipes is difficult for me as that i have no help and no way to get to a shop.

look at my pics and ask questions if you like.. yes i also stuffed real steal wool into it so it would make it quiet coming out of the bike alittle more.. and no it did not hurt my bike.. 500 miles and still running strong except for the things i broke.. i am rough with my bike..

MotoredBikes.com: Motorized Bicycle Forum - thine82's Album: check out the bikes i have built .. A RIDING PACK..

REMEMBER there is two pages.. look at all the pics blown up if you have time.. think i just thought of another way to make them better .. gotta try in the morning..
goat herder.. do you have video with it running before and after.. i could give you the decibles of it .. i think i have a program that will do it.. but gotta check..

thine82

Nov 26, 2010
kingston ny
YouTube - 100_5877.MOV
me on mad maxxx..lol thats what people used to call it but the cops never gave me a second look ..
and notice that it is as loud as the car .. well you can hear the car at the tree and then hear me at that same spot.. or am i just going nuts?>??

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
YouTube - 100_5877.MOV
me on mad maxxx..lol thats what people used to call it but the cops never gave me a second look ..
and notice that it is as loud as the car .. well you can hear the car at the tree and then hear me at that same spot.. or am i just going nuts?>??
That sounded pretty quiet.. That bike of mine in the picture made it to its second motor and in the end had about 10,000 miles on it. It started out as single speed then with the second engine I went with the J Shaft. The J shaft was never mounted correctly in the front of the motor. that in turn finally cracked part of the motor block. In better words that horse is out to pasture now..

The over abundance of oil on the bike, new tennis shoes getting black etc, and about a case of brake cleaner later I had a fit and took the first thing I found and crammed it Vy a welder to the back of the pipe pictured. It did not help the tuning of the tuned pipe and at the time did not really care. The darn thing would still do a strong 35 miles an hour with 240 pounds of my carcass on it..

This was my first bike I got gooder Ideas now. I never really did car much about this biked and it truly showed in the end.

Here are my thoughts on a Morini pipe after suffering something very loud! In this thread some folks were trying to tame the clutch so to speak in an effort not to rev a noisy motor long brutal story lol. I do not want to disturb my air flow on my next tuned pipes..

A large diameter pipe after the tuned pipe going a good well planned wrap around the bike [maybe 2 1/2 feet of it] with many well placed baffles. Every time sound is forced to go through a 90 degree bend it gets Quieter! Wrapping the pipe into the bike coincidently makes a 90 degree bends happen..

Picture washers perhaps that have one third of them cut off then tack welded in a array of piping where their over lapping forces the sound to make a 90 degree bend. The larger the pipe the more baffles can be used because it will still breath. That's my theory. I am pretty darn sure of it too.

http://secure.chassisshop.com/partdetail/C76-560/

With out making anyone mad from noise or annoying myself at all what so ever.

I mean if you give it enough throttle the clutch will grab every time...
It will be evident when you find out ya have to hold on to the bike....

Speaking through the Key board here but this is exactly what I want in my next build.[single speed] A true obnoxious hot rod but a very quiet one. If that sounds right.

Most of my riding only needs to be about 25 to 40 miles an hour. I want to make 35 about my upper sweet spot at least for now dunno that is what I want to set up for myself and my terrain I think. I have not tried a 9.4 horse power beast yet 5.8 was sweet can't wait! 6 k lock up Wheely time!!

I have a kick butt ho-made muffler system [and air box plastic] planned out of large diameter pipe. Two sound deadening 90 degree angles sending the pipe[conforming to the bike] to the opposite rear of the bike with many baffles well placed through out. This will let the engine breath good I think and be as quiet as a little Honda generator. [I am hoping] I will want to share! I will prolly use Dean's pipe I already have. Sadly I am a long way from getting all my parts & $ in order .

Last edited: