First build in progress!

GoldenMotor.com

RocknRoadPirate22

Aug 2, 2010
Los Angeles
First build in progress...

Hey everybody. I had a couple days off work, so I got started building up my first very own little china girl. Now I'm waiting on a couple parts and a trip to the hardware/autoparts store. So far it's been pretty smooth, and I was too into it to keep stopping and taking pictures, but I did get some good 'before' pictures.*

And I forgot to do the most simple, basic, and easy thing before starting to work on your bike: wash it.

I keep having to get bits of gunk and dirt out of tiny little hard to reach places. *

Well, anyway, about the bike...

Originally, I wanted to use a cool vintage frame, but I couldn't find one that fit all my criteria and my budget, and there was a perfecty good 26" beach cruiser sitting in the garage with plenty of room in the frame for some Chinese 2-smokin action. With the engine kit in it's box on the floor, next to the bike, it wasn't long before I started fitting parts, and then there was no turning back...

I plan on building it up with mostly stock kit parts at first, and then upgrading graually from there.*

I'm lookin for a cool vintage motorcycle/dirtbike tank, something kinda long and thin, with larger capacity, too. Hate that ugly peanut...*

The engine went on pretty easily. I had to grind the mounts a little bit to fit the tubes, but not much. Carb, exhaust, tank, and CDI All went on with no problems.*

I flipped the bars, trimmed about *1.5 inches off 'em and mounted all the controls up.*

I've uncomfortably come to the conclusion that I'll have to accept the added risk and roll with only coaster brakes for the time being. Ideally I'd like to find a good deal on a mountain bike and take the dual discs/rims/gears and run a shiftkit. The frame has no brake bosses... Not totally sure what to do here... **

So... Everything is pretty much all good to go except the rear wheel... I'm dealing with the apparently typical sprocket/dustcap/brakearm/frame/fender/tire/chain clearance issue.
Trimming the fender is no big deal.*

Smaller tires, maybe eventually, cause theyre faster, but I've got the near-new 2.125 balloon whitewalls that came with the bike and they're pretty sweet.

The other idea I read about was to use washers to space the sprocket out farther. Dustcap clearance won't be as much of an issue, but the brake arm has to he bent farther as well. I've already destroyed one brake arm in the process. (The new one should be here soon...) Then the chain should clear the tire. The frame may have to be spaced out with washers also.

What I'm wondering/worrying about is if I offset the rear sprocket enough so that the chain clears the tire, will it be too far out of alignment with the drive sprocket? I read somewhere they shouldn't be more than one centimeter off. I haven't done any exact measuring but that's close to the sprocket clearance I need, so I don't know if it'll work. J may have to get the smaller tires and use the spacers.*

I hub adapter would eliminate dustcap/brake arm issued, but would still have the tire issue. I'm sure they're adjustable, but to what extent, I don't know.

I'm not looking to fab up offset motor mounts...

But once I get that issue sorted out she should be about ready to ride. Then I can start upgrading.

I plan on getting a bigger main jet, gutting the exhaust, and replacing the plug, boot, and wire, before firing it up for the firsttime.*

For the break-in I was thinking 24:1 for the first gallon or two? Then synthetic at something like 40: or 50:1?

I also really want to get a speedo wih an odo before I fire it up, to better keep track of the mileage.

I live in LA near griffih park, here's a ride this weekend, I wish I could go!! But I doubt my bike will be done. Maybe. Maybe I'll just go to the coffee shop to meet everybody. And then they can all take off and leave me in the dust to pedal my way home. Haha.

Anyway... I get paid soon, and more money means more bikeparts. So, i guess we'll see...

Alright,*later*guys!*

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
I run a rear coaster brake too. For better stopping power and the peace of mind that a second brake adds, I installed an old Odyssey PitBull caliper up front.

I second the request for pics!

RocknRoadPirate22

Aug 2, 2010
Los Angeles
update with before pics

Ok, well... lets see.

I'm making slow progress, haven't fired'er up yet, but getting closer..

I think I've found the solution to my clearance problem. Coaster brake extension from Spookytooth. I used washers to space the sprocket out further, so that the chain would clear the tire. I'm going to cut the fender. The extension will make it so the brake arm clears the bolts no problem, then I'll space the frame out a little bit.

so, I'm waiting on that, but in the meantime I did a couple other things. I relocated the CDI to the seatpost, installed a new bosch plug wire, connected, and taped all the wires. I was using the CDI mount as a cableguide for the clutch cable, and now that its not there, I may have to shorten or reroute the cable.

I still have a lot of work to do, but it should be at least operational soon.

Here are some BEFORE pictures:

RocknRoadPirate22

Aug 2, 2010
Los Angeles
Photos!

I'd like to get a new sissy bar and banana seat, cause the ones im using are from another bike, and i dont want to cut and drill them... also, of course, I want springer forks and disc brakes, a big shiny chrome headlight. and old school speedo with odo so I can keep track of the mileage.

I'm going to bend the muffler up a little bit so it tucks away more, and follows the lines of the bike better.

I used a VW fuel filter and fuel line. Cheap, easy, and way better than the kit junk.
The saddle bag is from my late uncle's Harley. and the 'classic series' badge is off an ampeg bass cabinet.

On the ground, under the kickstand, is the ashtray from my old vw bus.

I hope you like'em!!

I think she's pretty.

RocknRoadPirate22

Aug 2, 2010
Los Angeles
I really want to get some little bmx type pegs on the rear axle, but with only coaster brakes, I can't take my feet off the petals for a second, so I'll have to wait till i get some other brakes worked out.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Thank you for sharing the pics! It is definitely looking good!
Don't take this wrong, I'm really not trying to be a nitpick, but your fuel filter is up side down.

RocknRoadPirate22

Aug 2, 2010
Los Angeles
I got a couple new parts coming! NGK BPR6HS! and some main jets, alright! I'm gonna gut the muffler untill I can get an expansion chamber, and I might come up with a custom air filter...

RocknRoadPirate22

Aug 2, 2010
Los Angeles
Ok, so today, in the mail, i got my fancy-schmancy 10 dollar coaster brake arm extender. It wasn't as shiny as i thought it would be, but it sure does its job. Sweet.

I didnt take any pictures of it before I installed it, cause I just wanted to ride the damn thing.

I thought it would be easier to get the alignment right if I put the axle all the way back in the dropouts, tightened it up, and then put the chains on to match.

I need a chainbreaker for sure.

The problem here is that the brake arm isnt long enough to reach the mount if the axle is all the way back.

So... I think I'm going to mount the brake arm as far back as it can go, tighten the axle there, and then size the chains to that...

I'm not sure about a #415 half-link... I kindof like the engine mount shim concept... not sure yet.

But anyway, I just used a hose clamp so I could ride it around pedal power and get stoked on it again, cause it was up on the jackstand for a few days...

So I rode it around a little bit.

As soon as I get the chain on, I think it'll be almost time to fire it up!

==
I cut the clutch cable alittle short and it kept grabbing my pants and scratching my leg. simple solution.

==

My dremel skills are not so sharp...

But the chain guard will cover most of the ugliness.

==

As of right now.

RocknRoadPirate22

Aug 2, 2010
Los Angeles
I would not recommend this braking setup to anybody. even people I didn't like...
But it did serve its purpose of letting me ride it around yesterday. But when it comes to actually trusting the stopping power... well, theres just no way to make a hoseclamp tight enough around stuff thats not round....

So, I moved the wheel forward and bolted the brake arm on like it's supposed to be.
I am worried about the chain rubbing on the brake arm bolt.

I still need a chain breaker for both chains, and I might have to move a couple things around to get everything to fit nice and tight...

anyway...

jrbrown3

Sep 14, 2010
Lincoln, NE, USA
Nice work -- I'm curious how the black finish holds up long term on the motor? I haven't bought a black one yet but I want to, my concern is that if the finish isn't high quality it might fade or peel. Any thoughts?

RocknRoadPirate22

Aug 2, 2010
Los Angeles
On the maiden voyage, I think my motor mounts vibrated loose, and the engine moved. The chain slipped the sprocket, and jammed up against the spokes, and up on the drive wheel too. The rear wheel locked up and I skid maybe 10-15 feet. I held the back wheel off the ground and rolled 2 blocks home. I was all pumped on adrenaline, and grinning like a little kid.

RocknRoadPirate22

Aug 2, 2010
Los Angeles
like 3 times now, I've written these big long posts, and then im like logged out or my computer doesnt refresh or something and then it doesnt get posted.

But she's alive!