Motor problems

GoldenMotor.com

fischer550

Mar 24, 2014
Fort Collins, CO
Hey guys, I need some help. I built this bike about 3 weeks ago, and it ran pretty good. My only issue was the chain was making a lot of noise, so I decided to readjust things, take the motor off and lube a few things and then I put everything back together, and now it's much worse. The first thing I noticed was when I went out on a ride, the throttle was much tighter and it was pulling me without me having my hand on the throttle, which was weird because I didn't adjust the cable, but I loosened it way up and now its ok. But, I ran it today and it sounded horrible, VERY loud and much more vibration than before. I came back home, and noticed that there was a black liquid substance on the bottom of the motor. I am going to check the plug color, but anybody have any ideas of what it could be?

fischer550

Mar 24, 2014
Fort Collins, CO
Note: I checked plug color and it seems normal. The black liquid is also present on the engine chain. I sprayed white lighting grease into the clutch under where the clutch pads are, I am wondering if that grease went down into the bottom of the motor, got black from the motor, and is leaking out the bottom? Still doesn't explain the noise thing though.

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
What mix ratio are you running? Most here run 24/1 with good oil. Check the head nuts and exhaust pipe mounting bolts, either could be a source of a leak. Do not put much grease in the clutch area, put a small amount in the area where the small gear meshes with the big gear. Check all mounting bolts to make sure everything is tight.
I run the 24/1 mix about 3 tanks before moving up to something like 32/1.

Last edited:

Theon

Jan 20, 2014
FNQ Australia
With the clutch locked in, lift and spin the rear wheel.
It should spin freely and smooth.
Sounds a little like sprocket alignment.
also take clutch cover off and check there is a little grease on the gears.
If all is good, take plug out release clutch and spin rear wheel, listening for weird noises.

JangAlang

May 8, 2014
illinois
When you took "off" your motor did you take the adjuster cap off of the carb at all? You might of put the slide in backwards or the housing at the end of your throttle cable that slides into that cap could be jamming your cable from extending past a certain point. Even a 1/16" or an 1/8th" of a inch makes a huge difference. The opening on the bottom of the slide that looks like a square indention goes on the idle screw side to raise it up or down. Just my personal experience and if it helps GREAT