Take Offs Only?

GoldenMotor.com

jazz2561

Sep 20, 2012
Huntsville, AL
Can anyone direct me in handling my dilemma. I need a suggestion for a electric motor that can pull between 250-300lbs(with me on the bike.) I will be using it for take offs and some periodic power boosts. Amy wattage and amp ideas for this application?

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Can anyone direct me in handling my dilemma. I need a suggestion for a electric motor that can pull between 250-300lbs(with me on the bike.) I will be using it for take offs and some periodic power boosts. Amy wattage and amp ideas for this application?
Need a lot more info than that.
What bike for example, pics help.

jazz2561

Sep 20, 2012
Huntsville, AL
Sorry about that, here is a better explanation. I am building a board track racer, and it is geared very low. Because of my low gearing, it puts a lot of stress on the engine's clutch and other drivetrain parts. Currently, I am working on a Briggs and Stratton powered BTR and the gearing is low(2.5:1.) Since my gearing sucks, I need another means of off the line acceleration. That is when the idea of adding an electric motor came into play. Right now, the bike weighs less than 65 pounds in its current state. Fully dressed and with me on it should be between 270 and 300 pounds. My question is, what will be a suitable electric motor and battery combination for my bike? I will be using the motor to take off and occasional bursts of power for hill climbing and such. And just clarify, I need to accelerate 270 to 300 lbs.

jazz2561

Sep 20, 2012
Huntsville, AL
It's a Briggs 5 hp, and I can't change the gearing because I have my clutch on my jackshaft. Motorized bicycles in Alabama have to meet a top speed requirement to be street legal.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
With all the power available in 5 hsp it seems like there should be a way to change something around to work for you so that you have plenty of power at both ends... starting out and top end. Even just for a boost at startup and hills an electric motor and battery have to cost more than a change in clutch or pulleys or sprockets. What is the top speed requirement in Alabama? Do they actually check it? Any pictures of your setup?
SB

jazz2561

Sep 20, 2012
Huntsville, AL
Top speed is between 40 and 60 mph. All the standards are checked by the local sheriff's office by an officer. I have pictures but can't release them yet.

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
You mean you are required to go that fast by law or is that how fast the bike will go? What is the top speed the law allows? No pictures makes it hard to make suggestions.
SB

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
So, I'm guessing you are registering this as a motorcycle, intend to ride it in traffic on highways, etc. I would think that a constant velocity transmission would get you up over 40 and still have great low end grunt. A CVT would still cost less than the electric booster of motor and battery.
SB

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
It's always the batteries that are the killer on electric bikes. I'm not an ebike guy and am just trying to think this through with you. I had considered a kind of electric booster on my Hiawatha Indian tri-car as a way to start the engine without killing myself pedaling the thing and discovered that even for that it was going to take some serious bucks.

A CVT would bolt right onto the briggs or just purchase the pulleys and use your jackshaft. Not real expensive, but nothing's free.
SB