New 6.5HP Bicycle Trailer

GoldenMotor.com

commander

Mar 19, 2009
penn state
hey ZnsaneRyder, that green pusher is very clever looking . I like how you made it big enough to handle cargo also. do you ever have problems with it jumping , like in if it hits a bump and kind gets bouncy ?

ZnsaneRyder

Nov 21, 2008
FLORIDA
How Is It On The Hills And How Fast You Get? That Is A Sweet Ride. Bet You Get More Looks Now.
We get a lot more looks! Especially the green trailer!

They both work great on the hills. They are geared tall for speed, but because the slightly lubricated clutch allows some slip, they pull smoothly up hills. The 6.5 has a higher gearing ratio, and is harder on the clutch than the 2.5, but they both will pull up a hill, but we always pedal-assist the motors to takeoff to have less wear on the clutch, and give it light throttle at the same time as it's pedaled up to speed before the engine takes over when you give it more throttle.

My bro's 2.5 can hold 28-30 on most hills just fine, you only need to help the motor on really steep hills to get it moving from a slower speed. It can hold 30+mph all day, even fully loaded. It rides the best out of the two trailers because of the 15" foam tire. 38MPH on flat ground, and had it up to 43MPH on a downhill.

The 6.5 seems to pull any hill there is regardless. However, the high HP of the engine makes the clutch get very hot if you are too hard on it, so I still help it out at low speeds and hills to prolong life. The 6.5HP has enough power to burnout on dirt, and even spin the tire on pavement. The pocketbike tire is tough, and rolls great, but is a bit bouncy, and I'm wearing it down some already, hehehe. I don't know how fast the 6.5 is yet, but I've already been verified by another person of it going 50MPH so far. I usually never run full throttle.

BTW
100MPG for the 6.5
135MPG for the 2.5.

I love the fuel efficiency of these OHV engines.

commander

Mar 19, 2009
penn state
thx for that update ryder, Im really liking some of your ideas with pusher motors. even though I feel there are a bit on the odd looking side, I see alot of benefits with the use of a pusher motor. Basically that any bike would work on them.

Have you seen those trailers that walmart sells for carrying kids ? Well Im not sure but i think one of those modified would make a fine pusher motor trailer and with the added ability to conceal the motor with the design it has . LOL be kind of a fun project I think.

ZnsaneRyder

Nov 21, 2008
FLORIDA
Thanks for the support. My life has been busy and crazy lately, and rainy weather on top of that, so I haven't been able to take pics yet, since I have to borrow my folks camera, since mine broke.

I'm doing some new mods. I'm moving the pull-starter rope up to the front of the trailer hitch, so I don't have to go back to the trailer to start it. I'll be able to start it from the bike! I also added metal screen to the rack, and changed my bag, straps and carry setup some.

I'm also replacing my drive chain with a new one. It's already worn out! It worn the teeth some on my clutch, but it's still fine, and I have an extra back-up clutch anyway.

I'm learning how to better ride this thing, so I'm easier on it, and get better with steering and handling. I learned where to hold the throttle for best gas mileage and most efficient speed. The new chain will probably last longer now if driven this way.

After further testing, I'm getting actually ~110mpg with the 6.5! WOO HOO! I can go ~90 miles hwy on a full tank! If I'm around town, stopping and going a lot, it's somewhat less. The gas mileage is good because my gearing is so high, I keep the RPM's low, and the chain doesn't slip like a belt. It's harder on the clutch and chain, but I enjoy the MPG so far.

denbecr

Oct 21, 2008
Illinois
I'm eager to see the closeups. I can't figure out the complex looking emt hitch. Can you elaborate on it a little for us?

Cody Broken

Apr 19, 2009
McCall, ID
I think most people dismiss the push-trailer approach initially. I sure did, but upon further examination the advantages of a push-trailer motorized bicycle are undeniable. It is inspiring.

You guys rock.

..FriSk..

This is very interesting, and neat. I'm doing a trailer more like the green, with a curved bar above the tire so it don't look so blocky. I have thought of a 2 tire deal, but turning was a problem I seen coming ..

Anyhow, how do you have it, does it swivel with the bike? If so wouldn't it be able to jackknife if it bounced too much? Those are a couple of thing's I thought of when I was talking to a friend of mine. I was also planning on having more cargo space, until I seen how these trailers are designed.

How does balance go with this? And turning, how sharp do you usually take them?

2dawgs

Feb 15, 2010
Gilbert, AZ
Loving it. Now modify this in the forward positon and you got front wheel drive (ala dutch work bikes). Maybe add a second wheel up front for the 2 wheel drive. Yeah Baby.

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
That green trailer is big enuogh to make a over nite camping/fishing trailer and take the dog

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
I really like the pusher trailer idea. I think that using them for power and cargo loading is a great idea, if you don't get carried away with either! It's still a bike, and seatposts are made to hold butts, not haul it!

I really like the pusher idea because you can use different bicycles, and not have to severely modify your bike. So you could ride a mtn bike to work, or even to a mtn bike trail, then ride offroad on singletrack and scenic routes, then swing by the grocery on the way home. And 100mpg is nothing to laugh at!

I think we will see many more things like this in USA as the gas prices rise, and the poop hits the fan. But even in a fully functioning country, it would be nice to just hop on a bicycle and ride 30mph all day. Epic camping trips!.trlrl.

I think most people dismiss the push-trailer approach initially. I sure did, but upon further examination the advantages of a push-trailer motorized bicycle are undeniable. It is inspiring.

You guys rock.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
"I made a cable sheath coupler for the bike/trailer connection with a bolt and 4 nuts welded on it. Each cable end fits in the pair of nuts, and a mini cable clamp connects the two cables. It makes it so I can disconnect the trailer, and makes adjustment simple. I'm using a bicycle brake lever as a throttle, and it works well. "

Could you give a little more information please and a photo or two would be much appreciated. I've been trying to figure out a simple disconnect so that I can have a brake on my canoe sidecar, but be able to disconnect the sidecar easily. Your throttle setup sounds like the answer. So, I'm picturing the bolt with two nuts welded to one outside edge and the other pair of nuts welded to the other side of the bolt. Is that right? Many thanks...
SB

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Thanks for the link. It has me thinking and later in the day will do some staring at a couple of dead multi speed bikes for hardware possibilities. The price is right on the bolt with 4 nuts version. The ones pictured are nice, but expensive.
SB

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
SB
Would some aluminum crimping sleave`s and heavy duty fishing snaps work ?

For a couple yrs have been considering using a alum truck tool box. Had one with the tie down railing on the lid but let it go with an older 4x4. Still have this one pictured.

Now am thinking of putting engine inside for a pusher or back-up for long trips. Use a 20 or 24 inch dual suspension frame section on the rear. Will re-inforce the inside as needed. Have been watching craigs list for a dirt bike frame. Also watching for a smaller 4 stroke with electric start.

Cannonball2 use`s 1/16" ss aircraft cable and plastic brake line for long cables!! Sounds good to me.

Ron

Attachments