New 6.5HP Bicycle Trailer

GoldenMotor.com

ZnsaneRyder

Nov 21, 2008
FLORIDA
Hi Motorbicycling folks!!!

This is my 2nd bicycle trailer build now. The first trailer was great, but I wanted to improve for speed and safety, and lower cost! So far so good.

I'm using the old 6.5HP engine from my first trailer, and went to a new #40 chain drive and a PocketBike wheel.

Here's my first picture, and when I get more time and the rest of my pics, I'll upload them as well.
I have a rollcage/rack on it now, I just didn't get pics yet.

The hitch is special design made from EMT. I originally made a pivot hitch to connect to the rear wheel, but due to handling, I found the seatpost to still be the best place for the hitch.

There's still more to come, and if you folks have any suggestions about concealing the engine, more cargo space, or dressing it up a bit, let me know. .trlrl.

Attachments

mabman

Oct 4, 2008
In the wind
Aw jeez, now I can't tell people there is some one out there running around with a 6.5 hp motor on a handtruck anymore. Not quite as scary as your first one but you made it through alive with it so perhaps your luck will hold. I doubt that EMT will though.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
That is very cool Znane! What are your numbers with this set up? probably close to your last build? Going with the HF blue gives it a manufactured look.

commander

Mar 19, 2009
penn state
My personal opinion is that pusher motor set-ups are not very "pretty" at all. But the few advantages I see with there design is the motor size is pretty much unlimited to the mechanic building it . You could easily mount a 10-30 hp motor and still have a very usable bike, and the reason for maybe a bigger motor would be payload options.

So if I lived in a different country than the USA this design of yours would be very effective way to get small loads thru the country side with minimal effort and cost's, and if your bike wears out it is as simple as removing the hitch to another cheap bike . But being i live in USA I think the pusher motor design is pretty useless and attracts way more attention than I would want on the road .

But just to let you know i like the inventiveness of what you are doing with your motor and the skills it took to make it aall work.

ZnsaneRyder

Nov 21, 2008
FLORIDA
The "Blue" pole part of the hitch is 1.5 inch regular fence post, and solid steel 1/2 thick bolts as supports, and the frame is 1.5inch heavy-duty fence post, with a steel plate for the engine, so this trailer is very heavy because of the frame and heavy engine. The EMT part is where it's connected on the bike seat, it's bolted to the main bar, so it's replaceable if it gets damaged, but so far, it's still in great shape. It's awesome on roads, or grass, but don't get it in the sand, lol!

The one wheel trailer coasts really far, so I'm not on the throttle as much to stay rolling at low speeds! Gas mileage is a little better than before, and it rides smooth with my clutch lubed slightly with white grease spray. It has a lot of torque, so I can't hit the gas too much until I get up to speed, or it will bounce the tire and chirp it.

It's very stable. I can go around turns twice as fast as a 2-wheel trailer, but I still like the balance of a 2-wheel trailer. However, in comparison, the one-wheel trailer feels more like you are just riding a bike by itself, but just heavier.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Awesome Znane. How did you rig the throttle? Also did you make yor own cables?

Last edited:

ZnsaneRyder

Nov 21, 2008
FLORIDA
I made a cable sheath coupler for the bike/trailer connection with a bolt and 4 nuts welded on it. Each cable end fits in the pair of nuts, and a mini cable clamp connects the two cables. It makes it so I can disconnect the trailer, and makes adjustment simple. I'm using a bicycle brake lever as a throttle, and it works well.

The main throttle cable is a slightly thicker cable than bike cable, but it fit the cable sheath I bought for it just perfectly. I also used plastic tube to couple two sheathes further up. The throttle works much better than the other trailer. I also have all the old stock engine governor and throttle assembly stuff removed, so my throttle play is minimal, because the throttle lever goes right to the carburetor.

ZnsaneRyder

Nov 21, 2008
FLORIDA
Here's some more pics. They were taken at a high resolution, so I had to cut them down to fit for uploading. My newer pics with the rack were too dark, so I'll have to take more pics.

I hope to get more close up soon.

Attachments

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Been saying I wanted to build a pusher since the first time I saw your previous build. Purty work Znane

macarollo

Oct 17, 2008
FL
Awesome build! Looks really strong. Are your engine and wheel perfectly centered?

On my pusher my engine is slightly off center to the right and my wheel is slightly off center to the left. This is because the frame I used was a little too small, just barely fit on there.

Your trailer is way beefier than mine. Keep improving that design Z!

Attachments

commander

Mar 19, 2009
penn state
you know, if you guys with the pusher trailers would take just a bit of time to make a "sweep" rather than a 90* angle for the trailer mount , it would look way more appealing to passer by'ers.but they look usefull though

macarollo

Oct 17, 2008
FL
you know, if you guys with the pusher trailers would take just a bit of time to make a "sweep" rather than a 90* angle for the trailer mount , it would look way more appealing to passer by'ers.but they look usefull though
I am not really interested in making my trailer look more appealing to passer by'ers..trlrl.

commander

Mar 19, 2009
penn state
lol Yea Mac I can tell :)

But let me ask ya something, why a pusher motor anyways ? I realize that they are quite easy to build and dont require any kits just imagination. But in most states I think you would get many tickets with that set up ?

macarollo

Oct 17, 2008
FL
lol Yea Mac I can tell :)

But let me ask ya something, why a pusher motor anyways ? I realize that they are quite easy to build and dont require any kits just imagination. But in most states I think you would get many tickets with that set up ?
They are relatively easy to build. I haven't got a ticket yet, but I have only ridden about 160 miles total on it.

I don't think most cops know the laws about motorized bicycles in Florida (Zsane is in FL too). I just try to on back roads and pedal when I see cops.

ZnsaneRyder

Nov 21, 2008
FLORIDA
Awesome build! Looks really strong. Are your engine and wheel perfectly centered?

On my pusher my engine is slightly off center to the right and my wheel is slightly off center to the left. This is because the frame I used was a little too small, just barely fit on there.

Your trailer is way beefier than mine. Keep improving that design Z!
My wheel is centered. My engine is somewhat close to the center, being the block is off some to the left, so it would align with my sprocket, and fit properly on the frame and have a centered look. My sprocket isn't up against my wheel, so it made things easier, but I did have to clear some space so the chain won't rub the frame, but everything is good. I've had no issues with the chain drive, other than re-tightening it every so often. The engine plate slides back and forth to allow the chain to be tensioned by moving the engine, and tightening it down in the right place.

Thank you! :D I'm glad you like the new frame! I made it strong with lots of welds, and because of that and the thick steel fence-posts used, it's very heavy. It's not the prettiest welding job, but I used my DIY Car-Battery & Jumper Cable welder for all of it, because I still have yet to get a welder, and I went through about 20 6010&7014 rods, and almost two boxes (32 each) of 6013 welding rods as well. Not bad for not being able to control my amperage very much. A bit of wire-brushing and blue gloss paint on everything, and the metal doesn't look 20 years old anymore, lol.

I have tested it for strength, even before it was on the bicycle. I can stand on the trailer while it's on the bike, and it supports my weight. I triangulated two spots for the hitch post, to keep it stiff. This frame doesn't even flex, so I know it will be safe and nothing breaking. I got lucky when I got those solid steel bolts, they are strong, and easy to work with compared to tubing.

The beauty of these trailers, is that they are similar to each other, but every single one is different.

Macarollo, we gotta ride together sometime! .trlrl.

Last edited:

ZnsaneRyder

Nov 21, 2008
FLORIDA
Been saying I wanted to build a pusher since the first time I saw your previous build. Purty work Znane
Maybe you'll have one you like soon!

In the process of improving the first 2-wheel trailer, I helped my bro make his trailer, then I finished my new trailer, so you can see some similarities, but so far, my bro's trailer is the most unique and complex one so far. It has more cargo space than engine space! Also a little tiny 2.5HP 79cc 4-Stroke OHV engine with governor removed, and opened intake. The little lightweight engine makes the trailer ride excellent for curves and turns.

It has a 15" Flat-Free solid foam tire. It rides excellent because of that tire. He also is using the large 48T Sprocket as a disk brake with bicycle brakes and four brake pads, and it works very well.

38MPH on flat ground..trlrl. Fast for such a small motor and big trailer.

Attachments

Last edited:

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Motormaker, Have You Been Running That Neat Little Side Pusher?? You Said You Like Simple, Simple. Hundreds Of New Members Since You Posted Pics!!! If You Don`t Have Any, I May Have Some. Ron