Bike doesn't reach top speed

GoldenMotor.com

GrubeeKing

May 16, 2012
Maine
Hey I am extremely new to the concept of putting a motor on a bike. Although I have great mechanical skills, when it comes to diagnosing problems with an engine it isn't really my cup of tea. Me and my friend both got brand new engines off the same exact site and got the same exact engine. The problem is with my friend's bike. It runs way to rich. Almost as if the choke is on. Now he said he checked the choke and stuff but I wasn't there to see anything. He has the Gubee Skyhawk GT5 with the "new proformace carb" (as the site would say). Any suggestions on what could be wrong?
:-||

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Welcome, He needs to make sure the choke is not on. A friend had the same problem, he had the cable to tight pulling the choke enrichment plunger off the seat therefore making it too rich. This is on the carb with the choke lever on the handle bar.

Last edited:

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Both good options!

I removed the cable from my carb to avoid that problem, and get one more dumb cable off the handlebars! :)
...I just left the plunger and it's spring in the well... works fine, just takes a few hundred feet to warm up. I can live with that.

My guess is, if it's not that enrichen circuit, is you will need to solder up the main jet and drill it a size smaller so it runs a bit leaner.

Good luck
rc