Side pull rear brakes for a cruiser

GoldenMotor.com

Finfan

Aug 29, 2008
Tucson, AZ USA
So I have decided I want as much brake as I can get on my bike and I am trying to figure out installing a side pull brake using the mounting bracket for the rear fender. The problem I'm encountering is that the brake arms are not quite long enough to reach the rim. Are there any side pull type brakes that can reach further? Thanks!

Nomad

Aug 4, 2008
U.S.A.
I just bought a "Bell" brand brake kit for my cruiser today for the front, $12.00 at ACE Hardware.. the reach is perfect for the fat cruiser tire... I originally went to the local bike shop but the jerkwads there were unhelpful and overpriced.... seems if you're not in the market for a two thousand bike they don't need your business..... Go to Ace.

HoughMade

Apr 15, 2008
Valparaiso, IN
I just bought a "Bell" brand brake kit for my cruiser today for the front, $12.00 at ACE Hardware.. the reach is perfect for the fat cruiser tire...... Go to Ace.
I agree- I have one of those on the front and I scavaged the rear one off an old BMX bike. I am using a cruiser frame and thought front and rear calipers to supplement the coaster would be a good idea.

Finfan

Aug 29, 2008
Tucson, AZ USA
OK, sometimes the solution is just TOO simple. I had mounted the brakes on the top side of the frame the way it is always done, and the angle if the mounting hole lifted the brake up and away from the rim. By turning the brake around and mounting it on the underside of the frame the same hole now moves it closer to the rim. Brake has enough reach, problem solved! :oops:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
This isn't really a brake issue, but then it is. I can't be the only one having this problem but I haven't seen anything on it, so far. The problem is that oily exhaust getting on the rear rim and seriously reducing the friction of my brake pads. After every ride I clean the rim with brake wash and the brakes come back until I've gone a couple of miles then the rim is oily again. I'm still in the break in mode and running 16 to 1 but even at 25 to 1 it's still a two cycle and there's always going to be oil in the exhaust. Most engine kit mufflers I've seen have the exit tube pointing down and back and aimed perfectly at the left side of the rim. How much decrease in power or engine overheating can I expect if I extend the exhaust out past the rear of the wheel and aim it to the side? Would 1/2" inside diameter pipe work or should I go bigger. I'm really concerned about noise so a tuned pipe is out of the question. Our neighborhood is quiet and I'm one of the old grouchy guys that got mufflerless skateboards banned a couple of years ago so it wouldn't do for me to reintroduce that racket with my bike. Any suggestions would be appreciated.