2wd petrol-electric motorized bicycle with hub motors

GoldenMotor.com

soup325

Dec 11, 2010
Canberra
Im just wondering if anyone has made/built a motorized bicycle with 2 electric hub motors and a petrol motor that drives a generator?

sort of like a hybrid toyota Prius. That charges a capacitor/battery??

I have done a quick search but nothing has really come up.

Why? I like the sound of all wheel drive on a motorized bicycle. plus the torque produced from the electric hub motors is almost instant. On short rides, no starting of the petrol motor may be necessary.

The generator could also double as a starter motor for the petrol motor.

I know the complexity of the setup may be a bit tricky but do-able.

At least you would only have to recharge the fuel tank instead of the battery.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Re: 2wd petrol-electric mb with hub motors

the e motor has a lot of advantages but I don't have any idea what has been done like what you mention.

Elmo

Sep 3, 2009
Mississippi

The professor built a hybrid such as you mention. He did not use hub motors though.

SJN

Feb 9, 2011
Pinon Hills, CA

I have also tossed the idea around in my head but I think it rattled out my ear. It is a neat concept but you would need to have a little more power to the front or you could end up with a rather strange handling bike. I have also seen some small generators that would just bolt on with no problem. Eng, gen, and fuel tank in one little package!
look for one at HF. a few more brain farts, electric regenerative braking, electric start when battery voltage falls below demand, reverse? just dont ask me how to wire all that because you would have to put me in a padded room when it was done with me!

Last edited: