Clutch roller (no welding required!)

GoldenMotor.com
Aug 2, 2011
San Diego, Califronia
Tell me what you think!

This makes it easier to pull the clutch in by 80 percent, looks sweet, and improves the angle of the cable to prevent it from braking!

Ok, so Al.Fisherman gave me the inspiration to create one of his clutch roller things.

Here is his:
Homemade Mods pictures by Ron-Becker - Photobucket

Now, i could not weld that cable barrel on the end, so i JB welded it!

The JB weld has held up great, and it doesnt look half bad. I learned after ward that you could put masking tape around the edges of the barrel to make a clean weld.

Here are more pics:

Al.Fisherman sells these premade for $17 including shipping. It cost me $18.22 to make it buti have more experience!

Last edited:

BeaverRat

Jun 27, 2011
WA
I also did a no welding variation of this clutch roller. I used the same roller, and same angle aluminum, but to make the cable stop, I cut a groove along the angle, and then heat bent up a tab. Drilled a hole in it and tightened on the cable stop assembly from the original engine mount method.

It works like a charm - no glues, epoxy, or welding required... Just a torch, and you could probably bend it without heat just fine.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2011
San Diego, Califronia
Well... I literally JUST finished it yesterday. While all the threadlocker and gasket maker was setting, i made this clutch roller.

I also have trouble getting the rear sprocket to be true. How do i do it?

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
Rusty, Al, you guys are great! That is a wonderfully simple yet effective bit of engineering. I intend to see if I can implement it for my bike also. I commend you both for this. I love it!

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Hey Tnx AW,

Alf is great!

I'm just stumbling along and hit the keyboard when I did sumthin that might give everyone a good lol !

Best
rc

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
Tell me what you think!

This makes it easier to pull the clutch in by 80 percent, looks sweet, and improves the angle of the cable to prevent it from braking!

Ok, so Al.Fisherman gave me the inspiration to create one of his clutch roller things.

Here is his:
Homemade Mods pictures by Ron-Becker - Photobucket

Here are more pics:

Al.Fisherman sells these premade for $17 including shipping. It cost me $18.22 to make it buti have more experience!
If you make one round the ends off.
$18.22:-||
I tell members that I work on a very small profit margin. Being retired it takes up some of my time. Maybe I need a price increase. :>)

Macestar

Aug 8, 2011
United States
Now that is funny.

This is my first post but I just bought one of Ron's Clutch Rollers for myself. Times are tough but I had to donate plasma to buy one but I am sure it is well worth it (just joking). I building my first MB because of the economy and no work I picked up 5 paper routes and hoping this will save on a lot of gas for me. I figured I will be using the clutch a lot.

Oh yes I am also building a intake silencer too, so not to wake people up at 4am.

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
Now that is funny.

This is my first post but I just bought one of Ron's Clutch Rollers for myself. Times are tough but I had to donate plasma to buy one but I am sure it is well worth it (just joking). I building my first MB because of the economy and no work I picked up 5 paper routes and hoping this will save on a lot of gas for me. I figured I will be using the clutch a lot.

Oh yes I am also building a intake silencer too, so not to wake people up at 4am.
Made and in the mail tomorrow.
Thanks
Ron

Acraze

May 13, 2011
Tuscaloosa
Hey I'm sorta confused. I'm eyeing AL's mod, is there welding involved in the designe? Or is it plug and play? Let me also add I haven't seen to many pics of these installed, just skimmin through threads.

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
Hey I'm sorta confused. I'm eyeing AL's mod, is there welding involved in the designe? Or is it plug and play? Let me also add I haven't seen to many pics of these installed, just skimmin through threads.
http://s982.photobucket.com/albums/ae309/Ron-Becker/Homemade Mods/

I send out a finished product..almost plug and play other then removing your existing clutch cable and rerouting it (about a 15 minute instillation if that much). Yes I brazed the nut to the angle bar (you install your guide that is already on your engine), and install a ball bearing roller. I can also make them with a nylon roller, about $2.00 cheaper. What is pictured is what you get. 100% satisfaction guarantee.

To Al or The Busted Nut, it appears that this clutch roller would make the clutch easier and smother to operate, is that so?
MT
Yes, I'd venture to say that the pull on the clutch handle to disengage the clutch requires 20% of the stock set up. People have told me in posts and PM's that they felt a reduction of 80% effort. I tested mine with 6# mono fishing line.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2011
San Diego, Califronia
Order these things from Al. He is great at what he does and makes them nice too! Totally worth every penny. His are also the most reliable method and have a deeper roller, so the cable wont slip out.